The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Food for thought...primarily for conservatives.

[QUOTE=road kill;734233]
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Symons View Post

When we eat red meat it is always venison.
    Venison chili, venison spaghetti, venison helper and of course backstraps & steaks & roasts in the slo-cooker.
    We have salmon filets that we caught out of lake Michigan in the freezer.
    We have several pheasants for soup & dumplings.
    We make or own "pheasant tenders" as well.
    Think of all the Bovine hormones and Bhp and cortisone we are missing!!

In regard to coconut butter, it is awesome to cook with.
    We only use olive oil or coconut oil for frying etc.

My Grand Ma cooked with lard.
    The bakery was incredible.
    The difference is they made their own (I don't know how).

RK
    Amen to that!
    While some natural fats may not be good for you in excess, I'll take them any day over laboratory-derived "health foods" the food industry peddles.

Prime example is Low-fat milk. Drink the whole milk, and get the real thing! Milk fat is ok. Just don't drink too much of it. Do you know how the health food dairies reconstitute the texture of milk after they remove the natural milk fat??? They replace it with oxidized cholesterol! A substance that does not occur in nature (like Cindi Laupers hair dye) unless an animal is struck by lightening. And as a health measure, Obama wants all school milk to be "low fat". How about a swig of natural milk, and water?? Perish the thought!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Like sugar will rot your teeth, this food will rot your brain.

My food??

The way I see it, according to some of YOUSE guys, my brain is already rotted!!

Just sayin'......

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

[QUOTE=dnf777;734240]
    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

Amen to that!
    While some natural fats may not be good for you in excess, I'll take them any day over laboratory-derived "health foods" the food industry peddles.

Prime example is Low-fat milk. Drink the whole milk, and get the real thing! Milk fat is ok. Just don't drink too much of it. Do you know how the health food dairies reconstitute the texture of milk after they remove the natural milk fat??? They replace it with oxidized cholesterol! A substance that does not occur in nature (like Cindi Laupers hair dye) unless an animal is struck by lightening. And as a health measure, Obama wants all school milk to be "low fat". How about a swig of natural milk, and water?? Perish the thought!

Funny, I can drink milk from the cow direct (when we hunt in IA we get fresh milk).
    But if I drink store bought milk I am lactose intolerant????

I drink soy milk.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Not sure how this thread morphed into this topic, but WTH...as Ed said eons ago, all threads seem to turn to gobbldygook (GDG was my portion of that observation) eventually.

But...as to the question posed by Marvin: "The only place I drew the line was head cheese, any body here ever had any? My Grandpa used to put a slice of it on his bread & eat it like candy!!!!!!!!!"......you knew he was thinking of me with that query. Raised on a farm in SE North Dakota, we too did our own meat processing. 3 to 5 hogs along with 1 or 2 steers, all depending on how many families were involved.

My uncle Reinie was the head "butcher" directing all the worker bees. He had the formulas for the various brines, and the seasoning for the fry sausage. He also supplied the 'fuel' for the smoker, so the various 'hangings' didn't all taste the same.

The head cheese was hung in the granery in their gauze wrappings. After a day of chasing rabbits with the 22 in below zero temps, that stuff tasted mighty fine. Dipped in some of my mom's homemade german mustard, some apple cider, and a hard roll...it was real "candy". Top it all off with a slab of sour creme raisin pie, and it has become a memory to die for.

UB

PS FWIW, my families freezer is always full of the usual suspects...the birds we junt, venison, elk etc. But in addition, we have our own meat butchered by a friend, and it's usually a steer and hog farm raised and fattened the way we like them. More recently, several of us have bought an entire buffalo we have processed for our freezers. We seldom buy from the grocery store meat counter...but in their defense, in Sodak I would have no worrys about those meat products, and have the utmost faith in what's being sold by these various grocers and butchers. It's one of the bennies of living where we do.
    Last edited by Uncle Bill; 01-17-2011 at 09:08 AM. Reason: added PS
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    My food??

The way I see it, according to some of YOUSE guys, my brain is already rotted!!

Just sayin'......

RK

No, the food you were talking about sounds pretty good. I was talking about the "food for thought."
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

[QUOTE=road kill;734245]
    Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post

Funny, I can drink milk from the cow direct

RK

Better watch out! Some of those cows may not take kindly to that!

Seriously, though, the processing of milk removes some of the lactose binding proteins. This means processed milk hits your gut with much more free lactose, that probably overwhelms the ability to digest. The binding proteins gradually are broken down and release the lactose in a slower, easier to digest manner.
    Last edited by dnf777; 01-17-2011 at 02:49 PM.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post

Seriously, though, the processing of milk removes some of the lactose binding proteins. This means processed milk hits your gut with much more free lactose, that probably overwhelms the ability to digest. The binding proteins gradually are broken down and release the lactose in a slower, easier to digest manner.

DNF, hope you don't mind.....I copied this for my own use. Many thanks.