The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Goobernment Motors

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    That is a top of the line 1/2-ton truck. All of the top of the line 3/4 & 1-ton pickups, including Denali, are built in the U.S. It has nothing to do with quality. It's just what the diferent plants are set up to build. I cannot speak for GM, but I imagine cost is the biggest reason they build in other countries. What those cost factors are, I cannot tell you, but obviously they made sense at the time the decision was made. By the same token, they are opening or re-opening plants in the U.S. to build some of the newly introduced models, and they are union plants. The unoins made a lot of consessions that made it more cost effective to build here.
    So if they can build their #1 selling truck in another country for less money........
    The less demand, fewer production units can be built in the US... for example: a lower profit margin on 100 units vs a lower profit margin on 1000 units... we see the reasoning.
    Still doesnt make Americans happy. And, with the amount of money doled out by the American Taxpayer to GM, one would think they could give a little back. But, no, not much has changed at GM.
    "I'm gonna lean up against you, and you lean up against me. That way we don't hafta sleep with our heads in the mud"
    Forrest Gump, 1994

Gerry,

You might want to re-check that. The last I read, Tundra was about 8th on the list of vehicles with American made content. I think Dodge Avenger was #1. The fact is, all the manufacturers source parts and electronics from around the world. The cheapest vendor that can produce and supply the part wins. So sourcing can vary from year to year. When you talk about where a vehicle is built, that really only means it's assembled there. It really doesn't tell you where the parts come from.
    Got that from my son who works for Toyota. I was also surprised when he told me that.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by ARay11 View Post
    So if they can build their #1 selling truck in another country for less money........
    The less demand, fewer production units can be built in the US... for example: a lower profit margin on 100 units vs a lower profit margin on 1000 units... we see the reasoning.
    Still doesnt make Americans happy. And, with the amount of money doled out by the American Taxpayer to GM, one would think they could give a little back. But, no, not much has changed at GM.
    Those trucks were being built in Mexico long before the backruptcy. Can you imagine the expense of closing the plant in Mexico and building a new one in the U.S.? If GM was trying to reduce costs and be more efficient, that is not the way to do it. And, like I said, they have opened 2 plants in the U.S. since the bankruptcy, plus an additional battery plant. All of those provided new American jobs. Since the bankruptcy, GM has spent about $7 million upgrading U.S. plants, and created or retained about 17,500 jobs. Don't they get any credit for that? Isn't that giving something back?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Got that from my son who works for Toyota. I was also surprised when he told me that.
    Gerry,

I don't know. It may have been true when they told him, but because of sourcing, things keep changing. I think Camry comes in well ahead of Tundra now. I think Camry is #3.

Those trucks were being built in Mexico long before the backruptcy. Can you imagine the expense of closing the plant in Mexico and building a new one in the U.S.? If GM was trying to reduce costs and be more efficient, that is not the way to do it. And, like I said, they have opened 2 plants in the U.S. since the bankruptcy, plus an additional battery plant. All of those provided new American jobs. Since the bankruptcy, GM has spent about $7 million upgrading U.S. plants, and created or retained about 17,500 jobs. Don't they get any credit for that? Isn't that giving something back?
    Yes, they were in MX prior to the bailout. That does not make it right.
    Expense of putting Mexico's citizens out of work? not my concern
    Build a new plant? Nissan, Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi, and I am sure others had no problem with it. Dont even build a new plant.... REOPEN the one they SHUTTERED to MOVE TO MEXICO.
    Reduce costs and be more efficient? Bust the union.
    Battery Plant: for the famous Volt. lol. let's not go there.
    Created or RETAINED 17,500 jobs.... which was it? Created or Retained?? If you want me to be proud of them for NOT shutting another plant to move out of country?.... Okay.

Is it giving back?? What?? They want a cookie for the billions they received?? Not happening. Sorry.
    Bring Production home. And the jobs that go with it.

More easily said than done I am sure. But put our tax dollars to WORK for US. I assure you we don't mind.

I was actually in favor of the bailout until the realization hit that they weren't going to use that money to come home, make a better product, or truly streamline anything. Our billions got us the Volt.
    "I'm gonna lean up against you, and you lean up against me. That way we don't hafta sleep with our heads in the mud"
    Forrest Gump, 1994

Build a new plant? Nissan, Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi, and I am sure others had no problem with it. Dont even build a new plant.... REOPEN the one they SHUTTERED to MOVE TO MEXICO.
    Created or RETAINED 17,500 jobs.... which was it? Created or Retained?? If you want me to be proud of them for NOT shutting another plant to move out of country?.... Okay.

Is it giving back?? What?? They want a cookie for the billions they received?? Not happening. Sorry.

More easily said than done I am sure. But put our tax dollars to WORK for US. I assure you we don't mind.

I was actually in favor of the bailout until the realization hit that they weren't going to use that money to come home, make a better product, or truly streamline anything. Our billions got us the Volt.
    They are changing the name of the Volt to the Short... as in shorted out. What a dud.
    Bill Davis

It's not about putting Mexican worker out of work. Do you have any idea how expensive it is to build a new plant, with all the tooling, staffing & logistics involved? There's lost production, start up costs, etc. It just wouldn't make sense. Where is the money going to come from to accomplish such a feat?

GM has re-opened some shuttered plants. That is where some of the newer models are being built. And, the 17.5 thousand jobs, some are new jobs, and some are jobs that were retained by shifting production of newer models to plants that were scheduled to close. Otherwise, those people would have lost their jobs.

It is more easily said than done. No one is a bigger proponent of bringing manufacturing jobs back to the U.S., but it is not going to happen over night.

It's not about putting Mexican worker out of work. Do you have any idea how expensive it is to build a new plant, with all the tooling, staffing & logistics involved? There's lost production, start up costs, etc. It just wouldn't make sense. Where is the money going to come from to accomplish such a feat?

GM has re-opened some shuttered plants. That is where some of the newer models are being built. And, the 17.5 thousand jobs, some are new jobs, and some are jobs that were retained by shifting production of newer models to plants that were scheduled to close. Otherwise, those people would have lost their jobs.

It is more easily said than done. No one is a bigger proponent of bringing manufacturing jobs back to the U.S., but it is not going to happen over night.
    We all understand it won't happen overnight. The bigger picture is: With GM: It isn't going to happen at all. Even if we pay them to do it. Oh yeah... we already did that.
    Forrest Gump, 1994

We all understand it won't happen overnight. The bigger picture is: With GM: It isn't going to happen at all. Even if we pay them to do it. Oh yeah... we already did that.
    Well, have it your way. It probably wouldn't matter how many plants they re-opened, how much production they moved to those plants, or how many jobs that provided, it wouldn't be enough.

[COLOR=#0000ff]Yes, they were in MX prior to the bailout. That does not make it right.

/COLOR]
    Aray:

In July there were 22000 people hired by major manufacturers in Michigan.--11000 by automobile manufacturers. Source : Detroit Free Press
    Last edited by zeus3925; 08-16-2012 at 07:31 AM.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!