The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ill. court throws Emanuel off Chicago ballot

Default Ill. court throws Emanuel off Chicago ballot

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_chicago_mayor_emanuel

CHICAGO An Illinois appellate court on Monday threw former White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel off the ballot for Chicago mayor because he didn't live in the city in the year before the election.
    The decision cast doubt over Emanuel's candidacy just a month before the election. He had been considered the front-runner and had raised more money than any other candidate.
    The court voted 2-1 to overturn a lower-court ruling that would have kept his name on the Feb. 22 ballot.
    Emanuel plans to appeal the matter to the Illinois Supreme Court
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Judge may end up with a dead fish in his mail!
    Bill Davis

Knowing Chicago politics, and his power base, he'll get in one way or another.

It will be interesting to see what is the basis for his appeal.

You would think you'd have these little details taken care of before a former POTUS makes a special trip on behalf of your candidacy. (unless that's part of the power play)
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Illinois law is pretty clear that a candidate must have lived there for 1 year in advance of the election. Emmanuel is basing his legal arguments on the concept of "residency" which arguably he does meet. When I was in the Air Force, I claimed residency in Ill for tax purposes. However, I didn't say I lived there.

The law that is in question is completely separate from the issue of residency. It is a part of the Illinois Municipal Code which actually requires a person to live in the political sub-division for which office is sought.

Eric

Obviously you don't live in IL. What the law is, and what happens, often don't bear any relationship to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    Illinois law is pretty clear that a candidate must have lived there for 1 year in advance of the election. Emmanuel is basing his legal arguments on the concept of "residency" which arguably he does meet. When I was in the Air Force, I claimed residency in Ill for tax purposes. However, I didn't say I lived there.

The law that is in question is completely separate from the issue of residency. It is a part of the Illinois Municipal Code which actually requires a person to live in the political sub-division for which office is sought.

Eric

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post

Eric
    Rahm will be the next Mayor of Chicago.

Wanna bet me???

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Judge may end up with a dead fish in his mail!
    Reminds me of the original Godfather movie and the bloody horse head in the bed scene Rahmbo will make him an offer he can't refuse!

this isnt over by any stretch of the imagination...the Daley political machine is just getting warmed up
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Rahm will be the next Mayor of Chicago.

Wanna bet me???

RK

Anyone would be a fool to take that bet!

He'll be mayor if the judge allows his candidacy or not.

He'll be mayor if he get a majority or minority of votes.

And that's all I'm gonna diss on him, because I don't want the black helicopters paying me a visit!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!