The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Making a Management Decision

Default Making a Management Decision

You own this established NFL franchise. The taxpayers have sprung for most of the funds for a new stadium. Now you need a coach, & you want to WIN. So where do you look?

1) Among the many talented assistants roaming the sidelines for the elite franchises?
    2) Or do you pick up one of the coaches now analysts that managed to win a SB?

Here's what I wouldn't do:

1) pick an assistant who at any time roamed the sidelines for Belicheat!!!!!!!!!!
    2) pick up Cowher of the tainted SB ring fame!!!!!
    3) & would look carefully at Chucky, who followed Dungy, immediately won a SB but then presided over a Downhill slide. Though better than Cowher!!!

Here's your chance

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

John Gruden!!!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

If it was my money I would go with the guy who was the best evaluator of talent in the last 20 yrs....Jimmy Johnson..but since its not my money I would go for one of these young coordinators or up and coming college coaches Steve Sarkisian from Washington ...I think the NFL is showing that the OC and DC positions are becoming more important than who the head coach may be
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

First thing I would do is hire a GM that knows coaching talent when they encounter it. A GM that knows which coaches are the innovators and have great O or D minds, then let him hire a Head Coach.

A great GM will have accurate up to date info on all players and has the abiltiy to pick winners from the undrafted and FA market!

Great chemistry between the GM and HC is paramount!
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    You own this established NFL franchise. The taxpayers have sprung for most of the funds for a new stadium. Now you need a coach, & you want to WIN. So where do you look?

1) Among the many talented assistants roaming the sidelines for the elite franchises?

1) pick an assistant who at any time roamed the sidelines for Belicheat!!!!!!!!!!
    3) & would look carefully at Chucky, who followed Dungy, immediately won a SB but then presided over a Downhill slide. Though better than Cowher!!!

Here's your chance
    You interview all the candidates and make your selection. Great coaches have come from assistant ranks and college ranks. I would not hire a rebounding burnt out cast off from another franchise i.e. Cowher / Dungy. I would look for someone who has demonstrated a knack for innovation and a proven track record for developing quarterbacks.
    Finally, I think it is very important to empower the coach to make personell selections. The GM job should play 2nd fiddle to the head coach in this area.
    The best hire of the year so far, in my opinion, is Jim Harbaugh by the SF 49ers.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    John Gruden!!!!

RK
    Stan, I think Gruden is doing a great job as a color commentator and upstaging Jaws. He needs to stay there.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Don't forget what Chucky did with the Raiders. He did what most coaches haven't been able to in the senile Al Davis years. He's a stud.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post

Here's your chance
    Spoken like a true loosing team. If Seattle had won you would be gloating, Opps, they didn't so let it go.

Cowher is a winner. Like him or not, he is a winner. That can not be taken away from him. As for him winning over Seattle, he didn't make the bad call the refes did. Why would you blame him.

Go with a new young talented coach. Retired coaches like retired players should stay retired.

Have a great day and enjoy the Super Bowl, Black and Gold rules

Richard