Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Republican owns Obamas latest slogan

Default Republican owns Obamas latest slogan

Republican Owns Obama’s ‘Win the Future’
    By Nathan L. Gonzales
    Roll Call Contributing Writer
    Jan. 24, 2011, 10:12 a.m.
    PrintE-mailReprintsText size
    President Barack Obama spent the weekend talking about the need to “win the future” in what sounds like the beginnings of a re-election slogan. But a conservative activist in Oregon owns the winthefuture websites, virtually ensuring that Republicans will define the catch phrase in their own way.

Obama talked about “how we’ll win the future” in his weekly address and in a video on Saturday when he previewed his State of the Union address for supporters. That video closed with a “Win the Future” graphic that elevated the phrase to a potential re-election mantra.

BarackObama.com will be the President’s online hub for his re-election campaign, but if people go to WintheFuture.com, they are likely to get a very different perspective from Obama’s vision.

Retired engineering consultant Glenn Pelikan of Portland, Ore., registered WintheFuture.com (and all associated extensions, including .org and .net) in 2007, a couple of years after former Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) released his book, “Winning the Future.”

When Roll Call contacted Pelikan, the Republican hadn’t seen Obama’s recent remarks and didn’t even remember he owned the URLs, probably because he estimates that he owns between 200 to 300 domain names. Four years ago, Pelikan thought about setting up an Oregon chapter based on Gingrich’s philosophies, but he never did anything with the sites.

“I probably would have dropped it a year ago,” said Pelikan about WintheFuture.com. “But now, under the circumstances,” he said his initial thought was to offer the domain names to the Republican National Committee. He’s made no final decisions on what to do with the URL that could become a valuable commodity.

Pelikan, a self-described “constitutional conservative,” hasn’t chosen a candidate for the 2012 presidential race, but he’s no fan of the president and doesn’t believe in his vision for the country.

“It’s not the guy, it’s his policies,” said Pelikan, who contributed to Mitt Romney’s presidential bid in 2007.

Pelikan has also contributed to the RNC, Oregon Rep. Greg Walden (R), Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden’s GOP challenger last cycle, and the Oregon Republican Party, where he is the chairman for issues, outreach and speakers.

It remains to be seen how integral of a part “Win the Future” will play in Obama’s re-election campaign (the New York Times led with the phrase in a Saturday story about the address), but if Democrats use the phrase prominently, Republicans will be in good position to respond. Their inability to secure an important domain is in stark contrast to the praise heaped on the Obama campaign in 2008 for its unprecedented online effort.

Conservatives criticized the President’s supporters for the “Together We Thrive” t-shirts that were handed out at the Tucson Memorial service because they believed they were campaign related.

According to an Internet search, TogetherWeThrive.com was registered on Dec. 2, 2010, and is under construction, but the registrant chose to keep their details confidential.

But the bigger question is... why does Obama have to use all these silly slogans? Just go out there and say something of substance and let that stand on it's own... oh, I just answered my own question.
    Bill Davis

The guy is clearly an opportunist who goes around buying up domain names so he can extract some cash from people wanting that url. This happened to my wife and as far as I'm concerned people who do this are lower than WS.

When I see the term "constitutional conservative" it cracks me up.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    The guy is clearly an opportunist who goes around buying up domain names so he can extract some cash from people wanting that url. This happened to my wife and as far as I'm concerned people who do this are lower than WS.

I agree with you on that. I have seen it in other lines of work as well. My whole point is Obama and his damn slogans...
    Bill Davis

Sounds like a creative businessman to me........ dont hate the player, hate the game......

Buy all the domains you want..... regards
    SHR Presque Isle Jaeger Schwab JH (driving the bus)

Yeah, I wish I would have thought of it too!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

so i guess anytime a politician (ANY party) speaks they should have to search for any websites that contain words or phrases found in their speech? how reasonable!-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

A few years back, when Al Gore first invented the inter- nets J
    A step brother of mine named David Beers had a domain name.
    One day a law firm contacted him out of the blue and offered him
    $500 dollars for it for an unknown client. He was a teenager/dungeons and dragons
    playing computer geek and pounced upon the cash.
    This was the domain name he sold, click on it and see the
    Unknown company that offered such a HUGE amount

Click - http://www.debeers.com

We still chuckle about it on the holidays

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Our small town (like many others) has a night in early December when they "light up" the Christmas tree and lights. Through someone's amazing creativity, its called "light up nite"! The city of Pittsburgh sued for infringement, and said nobody withing the PIttsburgh region could use "light up nite", as it is a registered name of their event.

Our town was going to reply with "screw you", but that was already registered by the Pennsylvania Republican party.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

I thought that Rundell owned that domain....... Wow, I learned somethin today! LOL
    SHR Presque Isle Jaeger Schwab JH (driving the bus)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    A few years back, when Al Gore first invented the inter- nets J
    A step brother of mine named David Beers had a domain name.
    One day a law firm contacted him out of the blue and offered him
    $500 dollars for it for an unknown client. He was a teenager/dungeons and dragons
    playing computer geek and pounced upon the cash.
    This was the domain name he sold, click on it and see the
    Unknown company that offered such a HUGE amount

Click - http://www.debeers.com

We still chuckle about it on the holidays

Ken,
    there was a mechanin in Baytown, Tx back in the 70s who scraped together enough for a little bug-smasher of a plane. I think it was a cessna 150. The tail number was N1KE.

He made a six-figure premium to give up his registration, so some athletic shoe company could put that number on the tail of their jet.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!