The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Police: SC woman kills dog because it chewed Bible

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Posts
    3,611

    Default Police: SC woman kills dog because it chewed Bible

    COLUMBIA, S.C. — Authorities have charged a South Carolina woman with felony animal cruelty, saying she hanged her nephew's pit bull from a tree with an electrical cord and burned its body because the dog chewed on her Bible.
    Animal control officers said Monday that 65-year-old Miriam Smith told them she killed a female dog named Diamond because it was a "devil dog" and she worried it could harm neighborhood children. Authorities said bond wasn't immediately set for Smith, who remains jailed in Spartanburg County after her weekend arrest.
    Officials said she didn't have an attorney yet.
    She faces 180 days to five years in prison if convicted.
    Authorities say the remains of the dog were found under a pile of grass with part of an electrical cord around its neck.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41240379/ns/us_news/

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    I don't agree with her methods, but one less pit bull isn't a bad thing...

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ken Bora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Burlington, Vermont
    Posts
    11,271

    Default

    Such a sad thing to say.
    I think one more dog torturing, bible thumping,
    Close minded idiot, behind bars…….
    Isn’t a bad thing.

    A devil dog, gosh this world is just too full of stupid people.






    .
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

    "The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    I think one more dog torturing, bible thumping,
    Close minded idiot, behind bars…….
    Isn’t a bad thing.[/FONT]






    .

    Yep, that's not bad either.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    I don't agree with her methods, but one less pit bull isn't a bad thing...
    There's nothing wrong with pit bulls as a breed. There are just bad owners and bad breeders.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    3,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    There's nothing wrong with pit bulls as a breed. There are just bad owners and bad breeders.
    I don't think it is quite that black and white. You may find this study interesting:

    http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Atta...%20Clifton.pdf

    Although there are certainly very nice pit bulls that are very calm, the data does show that there are inherent problems with the breed. Certainly bad owners and bad breeders add to the problem, but if you look at the facts the number of serious dog attacks causing death or permanent disfigurement are overwhelmingly in the camp of pit bulls, rottweilers, and presa canarios, and of the three pit bulls are responsible for another disproportionate share. These breeds are able to cause much more harm. If a collie, poodle, or other breed has a bad moment they snap and bite, but don't maul. The potential damage from a pit bull is off the scale. And when you take the population of the breed into account - something less than 1% of all dogs, the numbers scream even louder.

    Again, there are bad breeders and owners, but looking at the numbers it is difficult to argue that all these very serious attacks are the result of the owner/breeder. In fact, the author found that in 2/3 of the cases, the death or disfigurement of the human was the first time the dog ever showed an aggressive attitude, so it is not just dogs bred to be mean or to fight.

    The "its the owners, not the breed" mentality is shared by many, but it is only fueled by emotion, there are no facts to back it up whereas the facts in the link tell a pretty convincing story. I know several pit bulls and I really like the dogs, but as I told my sister in law, with grandchildren around, why on earth would you take this risk based on the data? Children poke and grab ears and pull tail, its what kids do, and that is a bad combination with certain breeds.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    There's nothing wrong with pit bulls as a breed. There are just bad owners and bad breeders.
    You can train a beagle to retrieve and it can do a good job...but one day, a rabbit is going to run past it and instincts are going to take over...

    What are pit bulls instincts telling it to do?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Ken Bora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Burlington, Vermont
    Posts
    11,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    ...What are pit bulls instincts telling it to do?

    Um.....
    Chase Cows ??

    been bitten by more bunny hounds than I can shake a stick at.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

    "The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

  9. #9
    Administrator Chris Atkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mount Zion, IL
    Posts
    6,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    I don't agree with her methods, but one less pit bull isn't a bad thing...
    DNW,

    Maybe one day you may change your mind.

    I think at one point I may have felt that way, to a certain extent.

    I disagree with your statement and think that when we express ourselves painting with such a broad brush, it reflects poorly.

    Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    DNW,

    Maybe one day you may change your mind.

    I think at one point I may have felt that way, to a certain extent.

    I disagree with your statement and think that when we express ourselves painting with such a broad brush, it reflects poorly.

    Chris
    I will keep the rest of my opinions on the subject to myself...we are all entitled to our own opinion, but I know that if you are doing any posting on POTUS, it's not a good sign...so I'll shutup.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •