The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Police: SC woman kills dog because it chewed Bible

I'll take the majority of Pits over the majority of Toys anyday. I've been bitten twice in my life. The biters were a Sheltie and a taco bell dog (can't spell that one) Both bites were without warning and with no threat to the dog.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    I'll take the majority of Pits over the majority of Toys anyday. I've been bitten twice in my life. The biters were a Sheltie and a taco bell dog (can't spell that one) Both bites were without warning and with no threat to the dog.
    Yep, just like a nasty little chihuahua

If the people who developed a breed were as careful with their foundation stock for small dogs as they have been with larger breeds we might not be
    having so many problems with our toy breeds......however.......we can never control those owners who refuse to teach the dog some manners ( so to speak ). Everyone recognized that a large dog can do a lot of damage but people in general didn't admit that a small dog has the same needs as far as
    picking breeding stock. Spoiled dogs are spoiled dogs makes no difference if the owner is a little old lady or a macho type guy. There are many ways to spoil a good dog. With chihuahuas, as mentioned with another breed in this thread, a person should socialize that puppy ( from day one ).

Quote Originally Posted by newlab View Post
    While what this woman did is totally wrong, and I hope she is punished to the full extent of the law, Pitbulls are an extremely dangerous breed of dog.
    Last summer a friend of mine was on his bike with his Lab in tow on leash. As they approached the neighborhood park, his lab was attacked by 3 pitbulls who had escaped their yard on the corner house next to the park. Randy, being a pretty big guy was able to fight off the three pitbulls before his dog was killed. The Pit's did do several hundred dollars and many stitches of damage to the lab, and no doubt would have killed him if left alone.
    What is wrong with the Pti Bull breed is that they have been bred to kill. And it has been proven so many times it's not even worth repeating anymore. Is it the dog's fault? Of course not. These dogs were bred to kill. And they are good at it. Just as just about any lab is capable of retrieving a thrown object, I'm afraid most Pitbulls retain the instinct to kill. There is a place in this world for Pit Bulls. I've heard they are good on Boar and Bear. But really, a family pet and guardian is no place for a Pit Bull.
    You are not correct. The Pit Bull was bred to fight and for bull baiting. That is far different than being bred to kill. A well bred Pit Bull is not normally aggressive toward people. However, many do retain the instinct to fight, and if you allow them to start fighting, they enjoy it, just like your lab enjoys hunting and retrieving. If you keep them from fighting, they donít miss it.

They do make good guard dogs because they are extremely loyal, and they have a natural protective instinct.

I am sorry about your friends encounter, but it could easily have happened with a pack of non-pit bulls. All it takes is for one dog in the pack to act aggressive, and a lot of times the other pack members will join in.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    No matter what breed you are talking about anyone that knows how to read dogs should be able to recognize the warnings.
    Unfortunately most people do not know how to read a dog and base their actions toward a dog strictly based upon the dog's breed.
    As a member of a really old AKC ob club I teach a class that while not beginner level tends to be full of JQ public rather than club members.
    If a person has their dog in my level (3rd one not counting puppy) they are making a decent attempt to train their dog.
    The biggest issues I see are:
    1. Spoiled little dogs.
    2. Owners that are nervous because their dog has warned another off, most likely justified and the owner is nervous and that stresses the dog.
    3. Owners that think they can show up once a week to class and have a great well mannered dog.

Besides just "bad" owners there are also alot of owners that while they have good intentions they will not see nor admit their dog's issues or shortcomings. Huge issue with small dog owners. Just ask my old lady Shadow who got charged by a Terrorist small dog the other day at the club from the other ring.
    I owned one Chow that rarely barked or growled, but I could tell by his posture and the look on his face when he was ready to bite. His body would stiffen and he seemed to stand taller. He would also have a very intense look in his eyes. That posture was usually directed toward strangers he didn't trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    I owned one Chow that rarely barked or growled, but I could tell by his posture and the look on his face when he was ready to bite. His body would stiffen and he seemed to stand taller. He would also have a very intense look in his eyes. That posture was usually directed toward strangers he didn't trust.
    WHAT??

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    WHAT??

RK
    What can I say, I love that breed. They have a very regal attitude, and are somewhat aloof. I really believe they think they're better than most people are. They are also one of the cleanest dogs you will ever own. If I didn't have birddogs, I would have one now. Although, it is hard to find a good one now. The show breeders have really messed them up. They have made the too small and stubby looking. They're no longer athletic. They're more like bull dogs with an Afro now.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I had a GR that was incredibly possesive.
    Dude bit me once when I pulled a rooster out of his mouth.

Those GR's are mean dogs!!!

Just saiyn'...........

RK
    You should just be happy he picked it up !!! I'm sorry, but I couldn't help myself.

the scariest dog i ever saw was an Akita. he was in a really well fenced area, thankfully. i'm sure he gladly would have torn my throat out given a chance.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    the scariest dog i ever saw was an Akita. he was in a really well fenced area, thankfully. i'm sure he gladly would have torn my throat out given a chance.-Paul
    Had we kept the kennel (located on a main thorofare) we had decided on an Akita to be our house dog. We had several in the kennel & they were regal dogs. One Japanese product I would have bought!

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!