The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Police: SC woman kills dog because it chewed Bible

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    I will keep the rest of my opinions on the subject to myself...we are all entitled to our own opinion, but I know that if you are doing any posting on POTUS, it's not a good sign...so I'll shutup.
    We are entitled to our own opinion. If you actually train, handle, or spend time around some pits, you may relax your position a little bit.

Just for the fun of it, I went ahead and read the original post in this thread, but replaced the word pit with black labrador. If you want, feel free to read the whole thread and put the word lab in there. See how the story makes you feel.

Frankly, I hope they pursue this woman to the fullest extent of the law. (which probably isn't much since it's "just a dog" and a pit at that)
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    We are entitled to our own opinion. If you actually train, handle, or spend time around some pits, you may relax your position a little bit.

Just for the fun of it, I went ahead and read the original post in this thread, but replaced the word pit with black labrador. If you want, feel free to read the whole thread and put the word lab in there. See how the story makes you feel.

Frankly, I hope they pursue this woman to the fullest extent of the law. (which probably isn't much since it's "just a dog" and a pit at that)
    My lab is yellow, so....

Just kidding!!

I never said that I agreed with what she did. I think it is absolutely horrendous. At the same time, it just doesn't break my heart to see one less pit bull in the world. I don't see any use for the breed and think they are far too dangerous for people to own, especially those who do not care for their animals (training, containment, etc) the way they should. I have yet to hear of a case where a black lab mauled a 3 year old to death. I don't think I need to google the same phrase but replace 'lab' with 'pit'.

Let me know if I need to pipe down...just your presence in POTUS gives me the impression that my posts were reported...

And Ken, you may have been bitten by a beagle, but when is the last time one mauled someone to death?

It's true I don't come to POTUS much.

Nobody reported your post.

I just came to really change my opinion on pits in the last year, so these sorts of comments catch my eye.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

I just came to really change my opinion on pits in the last year, so these sorts of comments catch my eye.
    Understood.

Having owned & helped my wife run a large boarding kennel for 20 years I have reached this fact filled conclusion: There are few bad dogs but there are many owners that should be locked up!!!!!!!!

Pits are not a big problem , but all to often are owned by some one not playing with a full deck. At the kennel our biggest issue was with the Rottweiler owners, some pathetically poorly cared for & ill mannered dogs. Most were told to make other arrangements for their next outing, we did not want to deal with their issues. You could recognize the dogs that would be an issue as soon as the owner stepped out of their vehicle .

But a long time OB trainer told me, watch the Samoyeds, Chows, & Saints, they'll take you without a show of emotion.

With the resources today anyone who abuses any animal deserves prosecution to the full extent of the law. Unfortunately for the taxpayers, but for many of them, jail is a better set of living conditions than they ever created for themselves. Possibly the best punishment would be for those who abuse dogs to receive the same treatment themselves!!!!

When I was in college & as it was small we got a lot of attention, the English Department took it upon themselves to get me to upgrade the quality of books I read, for which I will be forever grateful. The Head of the Dept loaned me an irreplaceable classic, which my pet proceeded to chew the corner off of. When I presented the evidence to him, his only comment "I hope you digested as much of the book as the dog".

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

The Merritt Clifton study has largely been dis-credited. Partially because he has no credible source for the numbers since the CDC stopped classifying bites by breed. He's simply using newspaper reports as I recall.

There was a case in Ohio (Tellings v. Toledo) over the Toledo ban of "pit bulls." The ruling by the judge summarized all the evidence presented including vet and anatomy experts. Their testimony was that there was no physiological different between a PB and the jaw of other dogs. Further, the "pressure" studies that claim X pounds per square inch were discredited as there's simply no way to effectively measure jaw pressure.

Upon appeal, it was over-turned but not on the evidence. The Ohio Supreme Ct ruled as a matter of something else. The Toledo attorney reportedly stole evidence between the cases so that the plaintiff couldn't use it in the arguments the second time.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    But a long time OB trainer told me, watch the Samoyeds, Chows, & Saints, they'll take you without a show of emotion.

".
    Add the "cuddly Disney" Dalmation to this list

The Head of the Dept loaned me an irreplaceable classic, which my pet proceeded to chew the corner off of. When I presented the evidence to him, his only comment "I hope you digested as much of the book as the dog".
    Did you feed him the Cliff Notes as a snack?
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Having owned & helped my wife run a large boarding kennel for 20 years I have reached this fact filled conclusion: There are few bad dogs but there are many owners that should be locked up!!!!!!!!

Pits are not a big problem , but all to often are owned by some one not playing with a full deck. At the kennel our biggest issue was with the Rottweiler owners, some pathetically poorly cared for & ill mannered dogs. Most were told to make other arrangements for their next outing, we did not want to deal with their issues. You could recognize the dogs that would be an issue as soon as the owner stepped out of their vehicle .

With the resources today anyone who abuses any animal deserves prosecution to the full extent of the law. Unfortunately for the taxpayers, but for many of them, jail is a better set of living conditions than they ever created for themselves. Possibly the best punishment would be for those who abuse dogs to receive the same treatment themselves!!!!

When I was in college & as it was small we got a lot of attention, the English Department took it upon themselves to get me to upgrade the quality of books I read, for which I will be forever grateful. The Head of the Dept loaned me an irreplaceable classic, which my pet proceeded to chew the corner off of. When I presented the evidence to him, his only comment "I hope you digested as much of the book as the dog".
    Marvin, it is stuff like this that makes life's memories so valuable.

Thanks for sharing this! I loved it.

Chris

Me too! I have a pit that I rescued about a year and a half ago. He gets along great with my other dogs and has even been known to snuggle with my daughter's cat. I have never seen any sign of aggression towards other animals or people (no matter what the age). He is one of the most affectionate dogs that I have ever been around. I would never seek out a pit puppy, but I would definitely give an adult pit a fair shake. The few pits that I have been around have been wonderful pets!