The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Here it Comes Folks.....

Default Here it Comes Folks.....

White House to Push Gun Control
    Obama intentionally did not mention gun control in his State of the Union, but aides say that in the next two weeks the administration will unveil a campaign to get Congress to toughen existing laws.

Evan Vucci / AP
    Arizona Congressmen Jeff Flake (left) and Raul Grijalva sit next to the empty seat of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords on Capitol Hill before President Obama's recent State of the Union address.
    At the beginning of his State of the Union address, President Obama tipped his hat to Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who’s now recuperating in a Houston medical facility. But throughout the hourlong speech, he never addressed the issue at the core of the Giffords tragedy—gun control—and what lawmakers would, or should, do to reform American firearm-access laws.

That was intentional, according to the White House. An administration official says Obama didn’t mention guns in his speech because of the omnipresent controversy surrounding the Second Amendment and gun control. Tuesday’s speech was designed to be more about the economy and how, as Obama repeated nine times, the U.S. could “win the future.”

But in the next two weeks, the White House will unveil a new gun-control effort in which it will urge Congress to strengthen current laws, which now allow some mentally unstable people, such as alleged Arizona shooter Jared Loughner, to obtain certain assault weapons, in some cases without even a background check.

Tuesday night after the speech, Obama adviser David Plouffe said to NBC News that the president would not let the moment after the Arizona shootings pass without pushing for some change in the law, to prevent another similar incident. “It’s a very important issue, and one I know there’s going to be debate about on the Hill.”

The White House said that to avoid being accused of capitalizing on the Arizona shootings for political gain, Obama will address the gun issue in a separate speech, likely early next month. He’s also expected to use Arizona as a starting point, but make the case that America’s gun laws have been too loose for much longer than just the past few weeks.

As the White House prepares its strategy, several gun-policy groups are saying they were burned by the lack of any mention of guns in the president’s highest-profile speech of the year. “President Obama tonight failed to challenge old assumptions on the need for, and political possibilities of, reducing the gun violence—which he suggested should be done two weeks ago in Tucson,” said Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the nation’s largest gun-safety group. No group said it had been consulted by the White House regarding legislative suggestions.

Meanwhile, the National Rifle Association has stayed largely silent following the Arizona shootings. Asked about a specialized White House effort on guns, a spokesman for the powerful gun lobby declined to comment.

__________________________________________________ ________

You do realize that sooner or later, the middle of the road independents will win, right???
    Sooner or later, they will disarm the citizenry................

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

its sad that they will try and use the Giffords shooting as a backdrop for anti gun legislation when in fact Congresswoman Giffords is a pro 2nd amendment supporter
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Well...they are right, you know. If owning a gun was against the law, that criminal never would have shot her. I am sure he would not want to break two laws at one time...

The ignorance about gun control on capitol hill is overwhelming. Gun control does not effect criminals...... will someone tell the dumbass at the helm.......
    SHR Presque Isle Jaeger Schwab JH (driving the bus)

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    Well...they are right, you know. If owning a gun was against the law, that criminal never would have shot her. I am sure he would not want to break two laws at one time...
    The worst part is this guy bought the gun legally, the true side of most criminals mainly the career type is they never get them the legal way so the laws only restrict the honest good citizen. I always laugh at some friends who are anti gun because a career criminal killed someone they knew. I ask how they got the gun and the reply it was stolen which is why no one should own them so they can't be stolen.

duh!
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

Best thing we can hope for is that Giffords makes a quick and full recovery, and speaks on behalf of gun ownership rights. What better spokesperson?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

It will be very interesting to see if Obama takes a stance on this...... My bet is he'll play the fence and just oversee the whole shenanigan....... This would absolutely crush his already wounded appearance..... Tread lightly Mr. President. We will see.......
    SHR Presque Isle Jaeger Schwab JH (driving the bus)

Oh come on dnf had the NRA put something out on this you and buzz would be hitting the right wing paranoia crap like you always do. Our "resident independants" have said in the past that your savior is not coming after our guns. And low and behold "Never let a good crisis go to waste"

Here another good article on the subject.

http://yesbuthowever.com/democrats-w...antra-5000220/
    CPR HRCH Scott's Sweet Brandy
    Kankakee River HRC
    NRA Life Member
    Pheasants Forever
    Delta Waterfowl

Quote Originally Posted by duckheads View Post
    Oh come on dnf had the NRA put something out on this you and buzz would be hitting the right wing paranoia crap like you always do. Our "resident independants" have said in the past that your savior is not coming after our guns. And low and behold "Never let a good crisis go to waste"

Here another good article on the subject.

http://yesbuthowever.com/democrats-w...antra-5000220/
    Gee, that's funny duckhead, I am a life-member of the NRA and get all their mailings, so I think I would know about this.

Thus far, Obama has NOT gone after any gun rights. If he does, he will damage himself beyond electability. Too many independent voters, such as myself, feel strongly about gun rights.

BTW, are you a member of the NRA?

And why do you and a handful of others always seem to voice "what I would say" or "what I'm thinking?" I didn't think I had a problem speaking up??
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Yes I am a life member also. Sorry I guess I have you confused with one of the other left wing "Independants" on here.
    CPR HRCH Scott's Sweet Brandy
    Kankakee River HRC
    NRA Life Member
    Pheasants Forever
    Delta Waterfowl