The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Here it Comes Folks.....

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Other than the DC handgun ban case, (which ruled in favor of gun rights) has the court recently ruled on any second-amendment rights challenges?

I'll skip the Homer regards. They're really not necessary, are they?

Chicago gun ban. Soyota whatever her name is was in the minority.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Gee, that's funny duckhead, I am a life-member of the NRA and get all their mailings, so I think I would know about this.

Thus far, Obama has NOT gone after any gun rights. If he does, he will damage himself beyond electability. Too many independent voters, such as myself, feel strongly about gun rights.

BTW, are you a member of the NRA?

And why do you and a handful of others always seem to voice "what I would say" or "what I'm thinking?" I didn't think I had a problem speaking up??
    Obama has already gone after your gun rights by supporting the Small Arms Limitation Treaty.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hester View Post
    Obama has already gone after your gun rights by supporting the Small Arms Limitation Treaty.
    Forgot about that. yeah, I don't like it one bit, but it still has to go through congress to be ratified.

Obama has moved to the center since November, much faster and more effectively that Clinton did in '94. I hope I'm not wrong, but I don't see a gun-control agenda emerging anytime soon. Of course there will be some sneak plays, but I think most politicians will publicly treat it like a hot horseshoe.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Best thing we can hope for is that Giffords makes a quick and full recovery, and speaks on behalf of gun ownership rights. What better spokesperson?
    Totally agree with you here, Dave. Nothing better (imo) could happen than a statement (even a written one) to the effect of "I have always been & will continue to be a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment. This shooting was the act of a criminal, who did not care about laws, and I will not let it, or my name, be used to justify further restrictions on the rights of law abiding Americans."

Unfortunately, my gut tells me otherwise.

And even if she does stay true to her history, there are far too many folks that have been just waiting for something like this to try to push even a little more of their disarmament agenda in the name of "closing the loopholes" (my take, tightening the noose ) such as Rep. Carolyn McCarthy and her magazine restriction bill which will :

# 10 round limit
    # Importation completely prohibited.
    # Transfer completely prohibited
    # Manufacture completely prohibited
    # Grandfathering for current owners only.
    # Exception for law enforcement
    # Ten year prison sentence for violation

* Would ban stripper clips that hold more than 10 rounds.
    * Would ban any gun with a fixed tubular magazine that was not a .22 that held more than 10 rounds.
    * Ban any gun with a fixed magazine capacity that is more than 10 rounds of any caliber, if magazine is not tubular.
    * Would ban all belted ammunition, or parts that could be use to make up a belt.
    * Would ban any repair parts for a magazine if the repair parts could be used to make a magazine.
    * Exempt retired law enforcement

Rep. McCarthy, Advocates Introduce Bill to Ban High-Capacity Ammo Magazines

Tuesday January 18, 2011
    Coalition Constructing Comprehensive
    Grassroots & Capitol Hill Effort to Advance Cause
    WASHINGTON DC – U.S. Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY04) was joined by leading national advocates for reducing gun violence today to discuss the introduction of – and a plan to advance – her legislation to ban high-capacity ammunition magazines such as that used in the tragic shooting in Tucson, AZ.
    The bill was scheduled to be formally introduced in the House of Representatives later in the evening. It is being carried in the Senate by Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ), who will introduce it later this month.
    The bill brings the nation to the same 10-round-maximum standard used in four other states today, as well as nationwide for a decade while the previous federal assault weapons ban was in effect. It closes a gaping loophole in the previous ban in which magazines manufactured before the law went into effect could still be sold or transferred.
    “I know what it’s like to have tragedy brought to your life in a split second by a madman with high-capacity ammunition magazines,” said Rep. McCarthy, whose husband was killed and son seriously wounded by a gunman on the Long Island Railroad in 1993. “I’m working to stop it from happening again. We need comprehensive reform to reduce the number of people hurt or killed by gunfire in America, but one simple way we can do that is by keeping the worst tools of mass murder away from the general public. This nation has come together before to support this simple, commonsense measure, and it is the law in several states right now. It is a small sacrifice that law-abiding gun owners can make once again in order to increase everyone’s safety.”
    In addition to the bill’s precedent in state and federal law, prominent Second-Amendment rights advocate Robert A. Levy said in a published report last week, “I don't see any constitutional bar to regulating high-capacity magazines. Justice [Antonin] Scalia made it quite clear some regulations are permitted. The Second Amendment is not absolute.”
    The bill, which was distributed to House members on Thursday before the holiday weekend, is being introduced with 42 co-sponsors (list below). Rep. McCarthy and the advocates expect to win over many more through comprehensive grassroots and Capitol Hill campaigns involving direct outreach to House members and staff, email and social media activism, state- and district-level organizing and traditional media outreach.
    U.S. Sen. Lautenberg said: “High-capacity gun magazines are tools for murder. This common-sense legislation would make it more difficult for someone to carry out a killing spree. Before 2004, these ammunition magazines were banned, and they must be banned again. I am proud to partner on this effort with Rep. McCarthy, who has worked tirelessly throughout her career to curb gun violence in our nation.”
    U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) said: "The tragic shooting in Arizona illustrates what can happen when criminals and dangerous individuals have access to high-capacity ammunition magazines, weaponry that belongs in the hands of law enforcement and the military. Congress should restore the ban on ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, which was part of the assault weapons law that expired in 2004. I look forward to working with Rep. McCarthy and my Senate colleagues to determine the best way to renew that ban.”
    U.S. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand(D-NY) said, "This proposal has worked here in New York State and could be a model for the country. I have been proud to work with Congresswoman McCarthy on a number of common sense, reasonable legislative proposals to eliminate this kind of horrible gun violence, including legislation to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill. I also commend New Yorkers Against Gun Violence, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, and the Violence Policy Center for their critically important advocacy."
    U.S. Rep Jim Moran (D-VA08) said: "We cannot escape the thought that lives may have been spared in Tucson had a high-capacity magazine not been so readily available. It is our responsibility to balance the rights of gun owners with the rights of people like nine year old Christina Taylor Green to live a full and productive life. While we will not be able to prevent every gun death, the bill introduced today takes a first step towards protecting the public from the next psychopath bent on mayhem."

The following 42 House members are original co-sponsors of the bill as of the afternoon of Jan. 18:
    Rep. Gary Ackerman
    Rep. Robert Brady
    Rep. Steve Cohen
    Rep. Judy Chu
    Rep. David Cicilline
    Rep. William Lacy Clay
    Rep. Gerald Connolly
    Rep. John Conyers
    Rep. Donna Edwards
    Rep. Keith Ellison
    Rep. Anna Eshoo
    Rep. Sam Farr
    Rep. Jane Harman
    Rep. Alcee Hastings
    Rep. Jim Himes
    Rep. Mazie Hirono
    Rep. Chris Van Hollen
    Rep. Rush Holt
    Rep. Mike Honda
    Rep. Steve Israel
    Rep. James Langevin
    Rep. Nita Lowey
    Rep. Carolyn Maloney
    Rep. Doris Matsui
    Rep. Betty McCollum
    Rep. Jim McGovern
    Rep. Gregory Meeks
    Rep. George Miller
    Rep. James Moran
    Rep. Jerrold Nadler
    Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton
    Rep. Bill Pascrell
    Rep. Chellie Pingree
    Rep. Mike Quigley
    Rep. Jose Serrano
    Rep. Brad Sherman
    Rep. Jackie Spear
    Rep. Louise Slaughter
    Rep. John Yarmuth
    Rep. Henry Waxman
    Rep. Maxine Waters
    Rep. Anthony Weiner
    Last edited by BrianW; 01-28-2011 at 08:02 AM.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Obama has moved to the center since November, much faster and more effectively that Clinton did in '94. .
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with you there.

All he's really done is let up on the over-pressure on his push to the left. The resultant relaxation of the structure makes it appear to move to the center.
    He still wants a strong central "command & control" Federal government as evidenced by the SoTU speech. All roads (and high speed rails, Internet cables, solar cells, etc) still would lead to Washington DC.
    His idea of "government efficiency" will be to minimize as many of the checks & balances that get in his way as possible for the next term and for that of his hopeful progressive successor.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Nope.
    I'll still get called a "lib" so it won't do any good.
    I'm not worried about what you, or anyone else decides to label me.

Hey, what happened to Pense? He must be too liberal for the GOP also?!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Hey, what happened to Pense?
    Who???????????????

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Nope.

Hey, what happened to Pense? He must be too liberal for the GOP also?!
    There is speculation that Pence will run for the Gov seat being vacated by Mitch Daniels
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

And I just read in the paper this morning that Mitch will be making a presidential decision soon!

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/l...f54540e7f.html
    CPR HRCH Scott's Sweet Brandy
    Kankakee River HRC
    NRA Life Member
    Pheasants Forever
    Delta Waterfowl

Nope.
    So what have you got to lose?

It'd be interesting to see how you balance what most here would view as your 'left leaning" views w/ some far right ones and come back to the "dead center", as you decribed your results from that "test" a while back. .