The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do as I Say......

Default Do as I Say......

....not as I do.

The Left Must End Their War on School Choice

This Wednesday morning at 10 am, after serving nine days of a 10-day sentence, Kelley Williams-Bolar was released from the Summit County Jail in Akron, Ohio. Her crime? Trying to provide her two daughters with a better education. How on earth did trying to provide your children with a better education became a crime in the United States? Because the political party that currently occupies the White House is completely dependent on the power of education unions, and these unions see all efforts to shift power away from them, and to parents like Williams-Bolar, as a threat to their very existence. The case of Williams-Bolar is a perfect opportunity for the left to stop and reconsider their war on school choice.

Before January 15, Williams-Bolar had no criminal record. She lived in an Akron housing project with her two daughters, worked as a teaching assistant at Buchtel High School, and was going to college to further her own education career. Like any parent, Williams-Bolar wanted to give her children the best education possible. But the grade 6 reading and math scores of students in the Akron City School District are almost 30 points lower than those in neighboring Copley-Fairlawn City School District. While Ohio does allow school choice intradistrict, Copley-Fairlawn does not offer open enrollment to children who live in the Akron City School District. Ohio also offers private-school-tuition scholarships to students in Cleveland, but that program is not available to children in Akron.

So starting in August 2006, Williams-Bolar signed forms claiming her two daughters lived at their father’s address in the Copley-Fairlawn School District. Two years later the Copley-Fairlawn School District hired a private investigator who shot video of Williams-Bolar driving her children from their home in the Akron City School District to a school in their district. “It does not matter if, when she started the lie in 2006, she didn’t know she was going to get caught,” Summit County prosecutor Michael Cody yelled in his closing argument.

While Williams-Bolar went to jail for practicing school choice, leaders of the Democratic Party practice it themselves every day. Growing up in Chicago, Secretary of Education Arne Duncan attended a private school. Later as Chicago Public Schools chief, Duncan maintained a list of requests from the politically connected for their children to attend the schools of their choice. In the 111th Congress, 44 percent of Senators and 36 percent of Representatives had at one time sent their children to private school.

Growing up in Hawaii, President Obama attended a private school. Growing up first in Chicago and now in Washington, Obama’s two daughters attended and still attend private schools. Questioned how he could possibly justify this in September, President Obama responded: “I’ll be very honest with you. Given my position, if I wanted to find a great public school for Malia and Sasha to be in, we could probably maneuver to do it. But the broader problem is: For a mom or a dad who are working hard but don’t have a bunch of connections, don’t have a choice in terms of where they live, they should be getting the same quality education as anybody else, and they don’t have that yet.”

So then why did President Obama take away such a choice for 216 children as one of his first acts as President? The District of Columbia Opportunity Scholarship Program (DCOSP) was passed by Congress in January 2004 and provides $7,500 scholarships to low-income D.C. school children. In the fall of 2008, 216 new low-income students were notified by the Department of Education that they had been selected to receive scholarships. Then at the behest of Obama’s education union allies, Secretary of Education Arne Duncan sent letters to the 216 families informing them that he was taking back the $7,500 in scholarship money that the DCOSP had previously awarded them. The Democratically controlled Congress later voted to phase the program out entirely. Mothers like Latasha Bennett were left scrambling to find good schools for their kids. The DCOSP has been a tremendous success. Students that used a scholarship to attend a private school have a 91 percent graduation rate compared to the less than half of children in D.C. public schools that graduate high school.

The same morning that Williams-Bolar was released from prison, House Speaker John Boehner (R–OH) and Senator Joe Lieberman (I–CT) announced that they will introduce a bill—the Scholarships for Opportunity and Results (SOAR) Act—to reinstate the DCOSP. The announcement was intended to coincide with the height of National School Choice Week, but the story of Williams-Bolar makes it all the more poignant. Do we really want to live in a nation that jails parents for sending their children to the school of their choice?

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

36 views & no progressive has come forth with their brand of wisdom .

I'll pass on a quote from a black school activist in the Seattle Times:

[quote=wb] My questions are - Where are the black churches, where are the wealthy blacks, where is our first black president? I will tell you where they are: MIA (missing in action) [/quote]

IMO, being able to choose the school your child enters & receives their education is the most important thing we could do for those children.

For more try: www.studentsfirst.org
    Last edited by Marvin S; 01-28-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

One of the things that made our country great was a free, quality education for all its children. Rather than make quality education affordable for only a select few, I'd rather fix the public education system to ensure our continued greatness.

I went from public schools in Chicago (Flossmore Hills Elem) to Alabama public schools, to Texas public schools, and ended up at the top medical school in the country at the time in 1992. Public schools CAN WORK.

No amount of money, vouchers, or anything else will compensate for lack of caring parents.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

I'd be curious to find out how many of the leaders of the NEA. AFT, etc actually sent their kids through an entire public school career as well?!?
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    One of the things that made our country great was a free, quality education for all its children. Rather than make quality education affordable for only a select few, I'd rather fix the public education system to ensure our continued greatness.

I went from public schools in Chicago (Flossmore Hills Elem) to Alabama public schools, to Texas public schools, and ended up at the top medical school in the country at the time in 1992. Public schools CAN WORK.

No amount of money, vouchers, or anything else will compensate for lack of caring parents.
    Public Schools DO work. I went to private schools. My kids did private, home school and public. All worked. They are now in Universities. I've never seen a school, public or private, that a child could not receive a good education at. IMO, It comes down to the kids, and the preparation they get at home more than what school they go to.

Quality is not what kids are getting today, they are getting pile on homework while class time is devoted to ???????????.

Guess I missed the select few thing, I don't see anyone advocating that.

I think a big parent problem is doting parents. They will pimp for anything to get suzy & johnny special treatment. Too many don't realize that suzy & johnny most likely won't rise above their genetic profile. As I told all my sons, based on past experience, if the educators decide that you are god's gift to learning I will be worried. They have rarely picked a winner . Most of that crowd thought I was a HA, but the results are in & my sons are way ahead of the pack.

25% of those wanting to get into the military can't pass the test, that's after they have been educated. My jarhead son had to take the test twice, they thought he was cheating, no one that smart would want to be a jarhead . As his drill Sgt stated "You're the only one in the platoon that doesn't cry, why is that?" My son answered " My dad prepared me for this, nothing you can do will approach what he did". & it was not physical, it was mental preparation, I actually required them to think.

63% graduate from college without the ability to reason, I guess that's your talent pool for being a Progressive . We are the most literate nation in the world yet very few can comprehend!!!!! What are they teaching today?

I went to all kinds of schools, all in SD, nobody gave a crap about what I was doing. During that time I was fortunate enough to have a couple of good teachers who led by example. As the folks I worked for my last 2 years of HS told my wife - Marvin has done very well for himself for a kid who no one cared about. I listen to all the BS, & that's what it is, about the uncaring parent. Educators are the professionals, yet today they do a poorer job than my Normal School teachers following a lesson plan who also had kids with uncaring parents. All the kids in my 6th grade class became engineers one a PHD, all of us came from poverty backgrounds, someone forgot to tell us we should be losers. Though I did have that happen to me in the 8th grade, & I've always laughed at that, though it hurt a little at the time.

But the funny thing was, though I struggled through college because of bad study habits, I apparently learned more than those who got the high grades, because in all cases I led the pack in the workplace . & that is where things count!!!!!!!!!

If you think there is a remote chance of fixing education as is without a major shakeup, once again you are wrong!!!!!! Which gives you many hash marks in that category .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

... Public schools CAN WORK.

Yes, Public SCHOOLS can. Public "social engineering programs" mandated by a progressive govt/labor union agenda & housed in what were formerly school buildings are what is causing this catastrophic decline, imo.

Unfortunately, no amount of caring parents shutting off the electronic babysitters, making kids do homework, etc, (if they're not working 2 jobs just to keep a roof over the kids' heads) is going to overcome that agenda, unless they can somehow get involved at the district level and have the "schools" actually start teaching kids what they need to know again. The only alternative to that for a "caring parent", in lieu of choice, vouchers etc. is homeschooling, either in place of or as an adjunct to the public system, to make it happen NOW, not 5 or 10 years down the line.

So, how do we get away from the role of schools as surrogate parents. providing their views on values such as "social justice", "alternative families" & "equitable cultural awareness" (that should be the parent's role) along with school breakfasts, lunches and, in some places, dinners instead of English Literature and American Government? Weren't those part of the quality education you received? How can we get back to frog dissection in Science & the atomic tables in Basic Chemistry instead of "insert your choice here awareness month & xxxxx history week?

The kids only have a finite amount of time per day/school year to learn.
    Some important choices have to be made.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Quality is not what kids are getting today, they are getting pile on homework while class time is devoted to ???????????.

Guess I missed the select few thing, I don't see anyone advocating that.

I think a big parent problem is doting parents. They will pimp for anything to get suzy & johnny special treatment. Too many don't realize that suzy & johnny most likely won't rise above their genetic profile. As I told all my sons, based on past experience, if the educators decide that you are god's gift to learning I will be worried. They have rarely picked a winner . Most of that crowd thought I was a HA, but the results are in & my sons are way ahead of the pack.

25% of those wanting to get into the military can't pass the test, that's after they have been educated. My jarhead son had to take the test twice, they thought he was cheating, no one that smart would want to be a jarhead . As his drill Sgt stated "You're the only one in the platoon that doesn't cry, why is that?" My son answered " My dad prepared me for this, nothing you can do will approach what he did". & it was not physical, it was mental preparation, I actually required them to think.

63% graduate from college without the ability to reason, I guess that's your talent pool for being a Progressive . We are the most literate nation in the world yet very few can comprehend!!!!! What are they teaching today?

I went to all kinds of schools, all in SD, nobody gave a crap about what I was doing. During that time I was fortunate enough to have a couple of good teachers who led by example. As the folks I worked for my last 2 years of HS told my wife - Marvin has done very well for himself for a kid who no one cared about. I listen to all the BS, & that's what it is, about the uncaring parent. Educators are the professionals, yet today they do a poorer job than my Normal School teachers following a lesson plan who also had kids with uncaring parents. All the kids in my 6th grade class became engineers one a PHD, all of us came from poverty backgrounds, someone forgot to tell us we should be losers. Though I did have that happen to me in the 8th grade, & I've always laughed at that, though it hurt a little at the time.

Isn't it interesting that states with the worst public schools are all vote rebublican? (Nebraska, Idaho, Miss.) I see your point, and understand why republicans want to dismantle public education. A stupid populace is an easily controlled one. Its right out of 1984. Next we'll see people trying to ban or rewrite literature such as Tom Sawyer....oops, already there!
    Last edited by dnf777; 01-29-2011 at 06:49 AM.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Isn't it interesting that states with the worst public schools are all vote rebublican? (Nebraska, Idaho, Miss.) I see your point, and understand why republicans want to dismantle public education. A stupid populace is an easily controlled one. Its right out of 1984. Next we'll see people trying to ban or rewrite literature such as Tom Sawyer....oops, already there!
    Are you saying IL, CA, New Fallujah (MI) and NY have great public schools??

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
    Stop, your killin' me!!!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Are you saying IL, CA, New Fallujah (MI) and NY have great public schools??

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
    Stop, your killin' me!!!!

RK
    Look at the rankings by state, and overlay a blue/red map, and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.