The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do as I Say......

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Isn't it interesting that states with the worst public schools are all vote rebublican? (Nebraska, Idaho, Miss.) I see your point, and understand why republicans want to dismantle public education. A stupid populace is an easily controlled one. Its right out of 1984.
    Isn't it also interesting to note that according to US News & World Report from 2009 , http://education.usnews.rankingsandr...old-medal-list that the top 100 high schools in the country are predominantly private, charter, magnet schools, which is what Reps have tried to support? (Also I see there that the top 25 schools were pretty evenly split betwen red & blue states) (I also note that PA & ID both manged to get 1 school apiece into those rankings, #45 w/ score of 79.2 & #79 w/ score of 68 respectively)

And the top rated one, with a 100.0 college readiness rating, Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology is the result of a partnership of businesses and schools created to improve education in science, mathematics, and technology. Representatives from business and industry and staff of the Fairfax County Public Schools worked together in curriculum and facilities development for the school. In recent years, local business leaders and Jefferson parents have formed the Jefferson Partnership Fund to help raise money to maintain and equip labs and classrooms in the school. (Oh those evil corporations! )

And even the top rated "public" HS, Whitney in Cerritos CA has the ABC Unified School District Policy for admitting students to the academic magnet high school, not every qualifying student is admitted. Admission priority is based on the Board Policy considerations. The policy is very clear and leaves no room for individual judgment at the school site.

So while you view the Rep effort as trying to dumb things down & dismantle the public system, I see it as trying to promote excellence & what IS working.

Next we'll see people trying to ban or rewrite literature such as Tom Sawyer....oops, already there!
    I hope you're not trying to blame the "political correcting" of a classic on Republicans.
    From Publishers Weekly http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...he-n-word.html

"Alan Gribben and NewSouth Books plan to release a version of Huckleberry Finn, in a single volume with The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, that does away with the "n" word (as well as the "in" word, "Injun") by replacing it with the word "slave."

What finally convinced Gribben to turn his back on grad school training and academic tradition, in which allegiance to the author's intent is sacrosanct, was his involvement with the National Endowment for the Arts."
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Isn't it also interesting to note that according to US News & World Report from 2009 , http://education.usnews.rankingsandr...old-medal-list that the top 100 high schools in the country are predominantly private, charter, magnet schools, which is what Reps have tried to support?

As long as they support a system that is available to ALL, and not just the privileged, I'll buy that.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Isn't it interesting that states with the worst public schools are all vote rebublican? (Nebraska, Idaho, Miss.) I see your point, and understand why republicans want to dismantle public education. A stupid populace is an easily controlled one. Its right out of 1984. Next we'll see people trying to ban or rewrite literature such as Tom Sawyer....oops, already there!
    Again it's evident your knowledge base is limited, I hilited the above as you seem to fit that category all too often on too many subjects. Why is it, you're losing the argument so you try to change the subject, is that your warm fuzzy approach?

I was talking about SD & WA - so you get an overlay out of some NEA sympathizing magazine & publish for fact . I negotiated for our district long enough that I've heard all the lines, many repeated.

The big cities are all failing that portion of their populace that they should be working hardest on. But in a lot of places the public is getting wise & recognize what this country does is not sustainable with an uneducated populace. & that is what is being turned out at a high cost in dollars & missed expectations.

Again, it's apparent that this is another subject you know little about .

As long as they support a system that is available to ALL, and not just the privileged, I'll buy that.
    I have never heard anyone advocate a system like Ireland or Britain. It is in the countries best interest that all be knowledgeable. Think of how medical cost could be lowered if & care improved if there was more competition, say like the Engineering field . Think you could compete in that environment?????????????? Somehow, I don't !!!!!!

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post

I have never heard anyone advocate a system like Ireland or Britain. It is in the countries best interest that all be knowledgeable. Think of how medical cost could be lowered if & care improved if there was more competition, say like the Engineering field . Think you could compete in that environment?????????????? Somehow, I don't !!!!!!
    Having worked with "Engineers" most of my life, I'll go out on a limb a say that just about anyone with a MD title, would not have any trouble being very successful in the engineering field, had they chosen that path instead of the much more competitive and difficult path of Medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Again it's evident your knowledge base is limited,

Again, it's apparent that this is another subject you know little about .

Its obvious YOU have no knowledge of American history. Come back after history 101. Pay attention to public education. You obviously slept through that one the first time.

And you have NO idea of competitive fields. A seat at Jefferson Medical College in 1992 was the most coveted graduate study seat in the world. 13,000 applicants for 255 seats (minus about 150 for alumni and joint degree programs) Yeah, I need YOU to tell me about competition. LMAO.
    Last edited by dnf777; 01-29-2011 at 03:18 PM.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Its obvious YOU have no knowledge of American history. Come back after history 101. Pay attention to public education. You obviously slept through that one the first time. & it is also SOP that your usual comeback is something personal, smart people don't ASS U Me .

And you have NO idea of competitive fields. A seat at Jefferson Medical College in 1992 was the most coveted graduate study seat in the world. 13,000 applicants for 255 seats (minus about 150 for alumni and joint degree programs) Yeah, I need YOU to tell me about competition. LMAO.
    I believe I do, the only difference is I don't believe the gatekeeper should be an admittance committee. Try letting 1500 in & let them weed themselves out. The nation would have more & better medical care available.

Quote Originally Posted by newlab View Post
    Having worked with "Engineers" most of my life, I'll go out on a limb a say that just about anyone with a MD title, would not have any trouble being very successful in the engineering field, had they chosen that path instead of the much more competitive and difficult path of Medicine.
    While you're on the limb, be sure you wear your longbilled cap when the sun shines, Brown Nose regards .

While they may have success in scientific fields, I would heartily disagree with you on being a working engineer. Passing the courses & practical application of same are 2 different scenarios . Been there, done that - Egghead regards .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Look at the rankings by state, and overlay a blue/red map, and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.
    Maybe that's just ONE reason why those states vote Republican. Maybe they see how the government/teacher unions have screwed the schools up, and maybe they believe the Republicans will do a better job at fising them.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hester View Post
    Maybe that's just ONE reason why those states vote Republican. Maybe they see how the government/teacher unions have screwed the schools up, and maybe they believe the Republicans will do a better job at fising them.
    yeah. ok.