The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Russian Airport Bomber nabbed

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    There's a difference between catching someone in the act, or facing a known group of terrorists....versus locking varied persons up without any legal recourse or trial. We don't know that the people in Gitmo are terrorists. We now know some of them Weren't, but were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Its ok. We set them free with our apologies.

What the Russian security forces may do, is launch a swift and decisive attack against a known enemy. Just like WE did in Afghanistan ititially, until we decided it would be better to let native security forces nab Bin Laden, and let him slip away. Or shifting attention to an uninvolved country.

I assume you were referring to my belief that we should stick to our Constitution and well established system of justice for detainees?

I was in full support of knocking the crap out of the Al qaeda network that was responsible for 9-11. That is what the Russians may do with this terrorist group. What happened with our thumping of bin Laden? A little accessory war in Iraq kind of diverted our attention from those who attacked us? Are you ok with that? Bin laden is still out there making video clips, as you poke twisted jabs at me!

Nothing I said was inconsistent.
    I have to admire your steadfast effort to remain calm within a constant onslaught of personal attacks in this forum. Perhaps it's a peace of mind or confidence that comes from the title of Doctor. But whatever it is that you possess that allows you to stay above the juvenile behavior of your accusers, I have to take my hat off to you.

The story goes....

When Beirut was seeing kidnapping after kidnapping, one terrorist group kidnapped a Russian embassy dude. The next day. a paper sack was found in downtown Beirut containing the heads of two members of the terrorist group. The next day, another sack was found only this contained 4 heads.

That day, the Russian was released and none was kidnapped again.

Eric

There ya go. that wasn't so hard, right?

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    There's a difference between catching someone in the act, or facing a known group of terrorists....versus locking varied persons up without any legal recourse or trial. We don't know that the people in Gitmo are terrorists. We now know some of them Weren't, but were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Its ok. We set them free with our apologies.

What the Russian security forces may do, is launch a swift and decisive attack against a known enemy. What the Russians will do is be ruthless and they won't give a crap about the supposed rights of scumbags trying to bomb little Russian boys and girls. Do you want us to be as ruthless? Just like WE did in Afghanistan ititially, until we decided it would be better to let native security forces nab Bin Laden, and let him slip away. Not that it's germane to the discussion, but,....Huh? We didn't initially launch a swift or decisive atttack in Afghanistan. We sent in a bunch of CIA spooks and SF bug eaters with briefcases of cash to route the Taliban and bin Laden. Or shifting attention to an uninvolved country.

I assume you were referring to my belief that we should stick to our Constitution and well established system of justice for detainees? Right, that's the hand wringing to which I refer, and you can bet your last dollar that the Russians don't give a crap about the system of justice for detainees as they root out the POS that were behind that bomb. And please tell me about our well-established system of justice to which you refer. Prior to 9/11 can you point out any cases of detainees captured by US military and how they were adjudicated. And since you pointedly called them "detainees" and not "POWs" I'm presuming you don't need to hear the distinction between the two. So about this "well established system of justice for detainees" that you speak of.........?

I was in full support of knocking the crap out of the Al qaeda network that was responsible for 9-11. That is what the Russians may do with this terrorist group. What happened with our thumping of bin Laden? A little accessory war in Iraq kind of diverted our attention from those who attacked us? Are you ok with that? Bin laden is still out there making video clips, as you poke twisted jabs at me!

Nothing I said was inconsistent.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    The story goes....

When Beirut was seeing kidnapping after kidnapping, one terrorist group kidnapped a Russian embassy dude. The next day. a paper sack was found in downtown Beirut containing the heads of two members of the terrorist group. The next day, another sack was found only this contained 4 heads.

That day, the Russian was released and none was kidnapped again.

Eric
    That's what you're rooting for, Dnf?

do you think the Russians will torture the captives with...I can barely say the words...loud music? oh, the horror.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    What aspects of Russia's response should we take notes on and learn from? Nearly everything they'll do in response is something you'd bleat about if we did it. Think they'll be reading Miranda rights to the terrs they catch and giving them 3 hots and a cot in air conditioned comfort? Think their prisoners will find their very own copy of the Koran under their pillow? Or are you fond of how the Russians will kill whatever moves in front of their sites with little regard for collateral damage?

You must be absolutely giddy over killings of detainees who were in jail in Iraq and Afghanistan while in the custody of the United States .

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in680658.shtml

http://www.prisonplanet.com/afghan_p...itary_base.htm
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/547787

Quote Originally Posted by cotts135 View Post
    You must be absolutely giddy over killings of detainees who were in jail in Iraq and Afghanistan while in the custody of the United States .

what should happen?

while a laudable goal, is it even possible to protect everyone that is in custody? it isn't done in our prison system, what makes anyone believe it can be done in remote camps in foreign nations? I expect if there is a need to indict your nation and its military as war criminals or paint them in a bad light, it gives you a convenient avenue.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    That's what you're rooting for, Dnf?
    You really want to pick a fight--don't you?

Give it a break. I'm not playing your games.

Now go eat your sandwich and leave me alone.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Your teeth-gnashing and toss-and-turn-all-night-worry about the treatment of poor Islamist jihadists around the world is somewhat forgiven because you've at least got the sense to not hypocritically cheerlead for the Russians and their "kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out" modus operandi.

is
    Your own link states that the total of 108 deaths out of 65,000 prisoners includes deaths attributed to natural causes. It also includes the results of "violent uprisings" initiated by the prisoners themselves and those that died at the hands of other prisoners.
    So why do you lump them all as "killings"?

The link states Roughly a quarter of those deaths have been investigated as possible abuse by U.S. personnel. So, roughly 27 deaths. Certainly nothing to be "giddy" about but hardly a "clear pattern" as alleged by the ACLU & others.

On the other hand though, look at the attached AP pic of the smiling guys in custody, maybe that's partly due to "the availability of state-of-the-art medical care," which, I'm sure, is far & away better than they had in their villages or their guerrilla training camps/bases.
    I hardly think you'd see that scene or hear of that kind of care in a Russian POW camp.
    Last edited by BrianW; 01-30-2011 at 11:25 AM.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791