The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 62

Thread: Just Plain in Over His Head!!!!

  1. #21
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,125

    Default

    We should verbally support those in Egypt that want to live free. It is the best hedge against it falling into the hands of Muslim extremist.

    If the Muslim Brotherhood gains power and influence in Egypt, then we should arm Israel to the nines.

    and turn them loose
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    The US response should always be to back those who are allies and are supportive of stability and the US. In the case of Egypt and Mubarak, they have been our allies and a peaceful influence in the Middle East since the historic treaty with Israel. With that said, if we object to the oppression in Egypt (or elsewhere among US allies), the most effective approach would be to bring influence, even behind-the-scenes pressure to help bring about reforms as conditions for our aid. The absolute worse things we could do is to publically encourage instablility like the Obama government has done by encouraging the unrest. Obama has essentially called out publically the very government we back with billions of aid. And he has done this having no plan or influence over what might replace it. We have empowered a movement, yet have no ability to positively influence the outcome, not unlike Iran and other Middle East countries. And like Iran, if a governement results that is hostile toward the US, we will have lost any influence for positive reform. The enivitable outcome will be less influence in a very unstable region of the world where we are inordinately dependent for our critical fuel needs.

    And bottom line we have to understand, we cannot impose our model of democracy on cultures that have no understanding of it. We should always exercise positive influence where we can when it comes to the plight of people but never undermind our allies when there is no plan or reasonable expectation for improved conditions with a new government.
    The problem is that we have waited until it is too late to apply pressure behind the scenes to bring about change. That should have been happening years ago. Unfortunately, for years, we remained silent and supported an oppressive regime, even though we knew the oppression was occurring. Instead, we turned a blind eye because Mubarakís regime represented our interests in the area.

    I do not know if there is a correct response at this point. We may find ourselves in a no win situation. If we speak out against Mubarak, we are betraying an ally, and adding fuel to the fire of those seeking to overthrow him. And, we have no way of influencing the type of government that will replace him. You can be sure there are those poised to take over that will prove hostile to the U.S.

    On the other hand, if we support Mubarak, or say nothing, we will become the villain in the eyes of the people of Egypt (if we arenít already) for having supported and provided aid to the Mubarak regime for all these years. In which case, we are almost certain to see a replacement government that is not sympathetic to the U.S.

    It doesnít seem we learned much from mistakes of the past. We did the same thing in Cuba, across the African continent, in the Middle East & in Viet Nam.

    Obamaís response is almost immaterial at this point. I think Mubarak is done any way it goes. All we can hope to do now is get on the right side of whatever government takes his place.

  3. #23
    Senior Member cotts135's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Watertown NY
    Posts
    697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    So, what would be the correct response to this situation?
    Having a National energy policy that is not dependent on Middle East oil would be a start.

  4. #24
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cotts135 View Post
    Having a National energy policy that is not dependent on Middle East oil would be a start.
    The immediate solution would be windmills???
    Solar Panels??????


    Open drilling in the gulf and Alaska???

    Just askin'.........


    RK
    Last edited by road kill; 02-04-2011 at 06:20 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

  5. #25
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    The immediate spolution would be windmills???
    Solar Panels??????


    Open drilling in the gulf and Alaska???

    Just askin'.........


    RK
    How about building a refinery or ten, which in turn creates jobs....what would that do to the price of a barrel of oil...a middle east expert said the other day that the price of oil has a psychological price along with a market price..the American public has to understand that breaking the dependence on foreign oil comes at a price
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Grantville GA
    Posts
    2,205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    The problem is that we have waited until it is too late to apply pressure behind the scenes to bring about change. That should have been happening years ago. Unfortunately, for years, we remained silent and supported an oppressive regime, even though we knew the oppression was occurring. Instead, we turned a blind eye because Mubarakís regime represented our interests in the area.

    I do not know if there is a correct response at this point. We may find ourselves in a no win situation. If we speak out against Mubarak, we are betraying an ally, and adding fuel to the fire of those seeking to overthrow him. And, we have no way of influencing the type of government that will replace him. You can be sure there are those poised to take over that will prove hostile to the U.S.

    On the other hand, if we support Mubarak, or say nothing, we will become the villain in the eyes of the people of Egypt (if we arenít already) for having supported and provided aid to the Mubarak regime for all these years. In which case, we are almost certain to see a replacement government that is not sympathetic to the U.S.

    It doesnít seem we learned much from mistakes of the past. We did the same thing in Cuba, across the African continent, in the Middle East & in Viet Nam.

    Obamaís response is almost immaterial at this point. I think Mubarak is done any way it goes. All we can hope to do now is get on the right side of whatever government takes his place.
    Even waiting too late, it is still the only viable approach for the US. We have to support those who support our interests as a first priority. We can attempt to change/influence the culture to something we find acceptable, but that has to be a second priority. The point is if influence and pressure is handled properly, the public would never know we are making the application. This current approach of our president making a public announcement as a reaction every time something new happens shows publically we really have no influence and no plan for stability in the region.

    Certainly at the same time we should have a national plan to lessen the dependence upon anything from the Middle East. That would mean aggressive drilling in the US (the gulf, the east coast & Alaska), all of which can be done without risk to the environment. More aggressive use of our abundant natural gas and coal (using new clean coal techniques). And BTW what has happened to Obama's campaign promises to do just these things? I do know at this point wherever we find a key strategic resource threatened, we should be actively involved to influence the continued allegiance to protect the resource. Our future and world peace depend upon it.
    David Didier, GA

  7. #27
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    Even waiting too late, it is still the only viable approach for the US. We have to support those who support our interests as a first priority. We can attempt to change/influence the culture to something we find acceptable, but that has to be a second priority. The point is if influence and pressure is handled properly, the public would never know we are making the application. This current approach of our president making a public announcement as a reaction every time something new happens shows publically we really have no influence and no plan for stability in the region.

    Certainly at the same time we should have a national plan to lessen the dependence upon anything from the Middle East. That would mean aggressive drilling in the US (the gulf, the east coast & Alaska), all of which can be done without risk to the environment. More aggressive use of our abundant natural gas and coal (using new clean coal techniques). And BTW what has happened to Obama's campaign promises to do just these things? I do know at this point wherever we find a key strategic resource threatened, we should be actively involved to influence the continued allegiance to protect the resource. Our future and world peace depend upon it.
    By "OUR" interests, do you mean ours........or HIS?????
    They may not be one in the same.


    Just askin'......



    RK
    Stan b & Elvis

  8. #28
    Senior Member subroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dover, New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cotts135 View Post
    Having a National energy policy that is not dependent on Middle East oil would be a start.
    energy policy?

    you do mean energy?

    coal is energy. oil is energy. gas is energy. which one are you advocating for?

    does your national energy policy include development of domestic oil, gas, and especially coal, or is it reserved for wind and solar power alone?
    subroc

    Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

  9. #29
    Senior Member M&K's Retrievers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Royse City, TX
    Posts
    5,005

    Default

    We are starting to get AFE's again for gas wells but the operators are having a hard time getting individual players to participate due to slow payout with natural gas price at it current level. They are hoping the increased price for the condensate will make up the difference. That also may be due in part as an attempt to fend off lawsuits from royalty owners who like to sue for lack of drilling activity. Land men hiring seem to be on the rise and leasing requests are up. I doubt this is the result of the Middle East problems.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

    Mike Whitworth

  10. #30
    Senior Member BrianW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Athol, North Idaho
    Posts
    885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cotts135 View Post
    Having a National energy policy that is not dependent on Middle East oil would be a start.
    Having an Admin that's not in contempt of court would be a nice follow up.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791
    ________________________________________
    Proud partner of (HR) WR SR Brian's 44Magnum Monster
    co-owned by HR Rianne's 2nd Chance Hurricane Rebel

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •