The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Civics Test for YOU!!!

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    No changing answers......you missed one.

RK
    So did a lot of folks, looking at the answers. Many of us posted the same thing. I suspect the "wall between church and state" was my miss. I've never heard that specific quote.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    So did a lot of folks, looking at the answers. Many of us posted the same thing. I suspect the "wall between church and state" was my miss. I've never heard that specific quote.

if we all missed questions and we discuss politics for sport can you imagine what the general public who cant even identify their local politicians must not know...and they get to vote...yikes
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    It was definitely Jefferson.

Jefferson wrote a letter to the Danbury Baptist Association in 1802 to answer a letter from them written in October 1801. A copy of the Danbury letter is available here http://candst.tripod.com/tnppage/baptist.htm. The Danbury Baptists were a religious minority in Connecticut, and they complained that in their state, the religious liberties they enjoyed were not seen as immutable rights, but as privileges granted by the legislature as "favors granted." Jefferson's reply did not address their concerns about problems with state establishment of religion only of establishment on the national level. The letter contains the phrase "wall of separation between church and state," which led to the short-hand for the Establishment Clause that we use today: "Separation of church and state."

The letter was the subject of intense scrutiny by Jefferson, and he consulted a couple of New England politicians to assure that his words would not offend while still conveying his message: it was not the place of the Congress or the Executive to do anything that might be misconstrued as the establishment of religion.
    Terry Moseley
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Leddyman View Post
    It was definitely Jefferson.

Jefferson wrote a letter to the Danbury Baptist Association in 1802 to answer a letter from them written in October 1801. A copy of the Danbury letter is available here http://candst.tripod.com/tnppage/baptist.htm. The Danbury Baptists were a religious minority in Connecticut, and they complained that in their state, the religious liberties they enjoyed were not seen as immutable rights, but as privileges granted by the legislature as "favors granted." Jefferson's reply did not address their concerns about problems with state establishment of religion only of establishment on the national level. The letter contains the phrase "wall of separation between church and state," which led to the short-hand for the Establishment Clause that we use today: "Separation of church and state."

The letter was the subject of intense scrutiny by Jefferson, and he consulted a couple of New England politicians to assure that his words would not offend while still conveying his message: it was not the place of the Congress or the Executive to do anything that might be misconstrued as the establishment of religion.
    I knew it didn't occur in the original documents, but wasn't sure. Figured it was either Washington or Jefferson. Washington was a little less controversial as he bowed out of the presidency, so I picked Jeff.

Not sure which one missed now.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

If y'all liked this (and I did) these 10 are part of a 33 question test at
    http://www.americancivicliteracy.org...rces/quiz.aspx

I encourage you to take it and challenge yourselves a bit further.
    Not asking you to report back, just maybe learn something new or refresh your memory. Have fun! You've got a good chance at getting at least 10 right!
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post

Not asking you to report back, just maybe learn something new or refresh your memory. Have fun! You've got a good chance at getting at least 10 right!

That was fun. Thanks for posting.

I can't believe the averages of 49% and 55%!!??

1. A
    2. A
    3. A
    4. D
    5. D
    6. E
    7. B
    8. C
    9. A
    10. C

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Did we ever get the correct answers?
    David Didier, GA

Here is the answer key"
    Answer key:
    1) A; 2) A; 3) A; 4) D; 5) A; 6) E; 7) D; 8) C; 9) A; 10) C

I voted all "E!!"

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post

I had a few guesses in there, but I am pretty happy to say that I got a 84.85% (28/33) correct. Some of those were tough!