First lab
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: First lab

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1

    Default First lab

    Well I'm suppose to be getting my first lab today and wanted reccomendations on what books I should get to start off with for basic obedience training. He is 8 weeks old. I don't duck hunt much but I'm interested in maybe doing field trials one day and just want a good dog that will listen and obey commands. Also should I keep him kenneled up during the day in a 10 x 10 pen or let him just be out in my fenced in yard. I've gotta mixed answers on this and now sure what to do. Thanks for any advice I greatly appreciate it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Billie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,842

    Default

    Video: Sound Beginnings
    Book: Monks of New Skete have always had a good one , unless theyve changed it-.
    Do not kennel this pup in a 10 x 10 all day , as long as his yard is safe. At this age, 1), he will cry a lot- in his kennel, they don't do 'alone' well, for a bit.. Also 2), he will learn to "go" in his kennel. If he learns that now, good luck having him keep it clean later on.
    Enjoy your pup.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

  3. #3
    Senior Member BJGatley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesleyc View Post
    Well I'm suppose to be getting my first lab today and wanted reccomendations on what books I should get to start off with for basic obedience training. He is 8 weeks old. I don't duck hunt much but I'm interested in maybe doing field trials one day and just want a good dog that will listen and obey commands. Also should I keep him kenneled up during the day in a 10 x 10 pen or let him just be out in my fenced in yard. I've gotta mixed answers on this and now sure what to do. Thanks for any advice I greatly appreciate it.
    Welcome....
    What you are doing is a big commitment....This needs to sink in to understand that commitment...are you ready for that?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Arnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    S. California
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BJGatley View Post
    Welcome....
    What you are doing is a big commitment....This needs to sink in to understand that commitment...are you ready for that?
    I'm doing it for the tenth time right now. It's worth it!

    I agree "Sound Beginnings" is a great way to start. I'm following up with the Hillman program and eventually Lardy. "The Art of Raising A Puppy" (Monks of New Skete) will give you some important insights into puppy/dog behavior.

    Especially in the beginning keep the pup close. Mine sleeps quietly all night in her own crate close to my bed but does not like it during the day. Initially I kept her in a large puppy pen near us during the day and now (13 weeks) she will lay at my feet under my desk and let me know when she has to go out. When she's out of the crate I keep an 8 foot paracord lead (smooth, no knots to catch on anything) clipped to a flat collar (no choke chain) but only under supervision. It makes it easy to catch her. In the first weeks I started with a 6 inch cord to get her used to it.

    Most important: be patient (and loving and kind).

    Good luck!
    "If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." ~Rex Carr

  5. #5
    Senior Member Wayne Nutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    My puppies always stayed in a kennel (5X10) when not with us. What's wrong with that? I would be against free roam in your yard. When you come home his focus should be to play/work with you. Not worn out from chasing squirrels and other creatures.
    Just my two cents worth.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

    HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson" RIP (5/26/01-6/18/15)
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

  6. #6
    Senior Member Billie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    My puppies always stayed in a kennel (5X10) when not with us. What's wrong with that? I would be against free roam in your yard. When you come home his focus should be to play/work with you. Not worn out from chasing squirrels and other creatures.
    Just my two cents worth.
    That does work, but only if you dont mind getting a stinky crappy feet covered, puppy out to have it jump on you . Pups cant hold it- if they have to go-they go- whether theyre in a kennel or not. The bigger space they have to get away from it the cleaner they stay and that transfers to the house...
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •