Deutsch Drahthaar as duck dog
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deutsch Drahthaar as duck dog

Default Deutsch Drahthaar as duck dog

I've been seriously considering getting a Deutsch Drahthaar to use primarily as a duck dog. I'm looking to see if anyone has experiences with them and what they think.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Had a friend who had DD's ... she did use them for waterfowl, but when we discussed them for avid waterfowl hunting she said they would not be ideal, that their coat is too light for very cold weather type duck hunting - probably do all right in early season or warmer climate situations. They are phenomenal upland dogs and very intelligent.

My Neighbor when I was in High school owned several and they were hardy enough to hunt ducks and pheasants. Hunted a few times with them. I didnt really care for their attitudes though. Some even were a little ornery or sometimes mean. It might have been the owners fault as he was a pretty stern man. Excellent pheasant dogs
    John Fish
    Chippewa Tiger Lilly QAA Lilly
    CCR Shasta Nautique Warrior SH Teak

Trieven Midnight Maude JH Maude
    CCR Piper Super Cub JH Piper

Maybe it's me but just don't get posts like this. If I am hunting rabbits can my labs do it?? maybe but wasn't the Beagle developed for this? If I am hunting open plains Sharp-tails in the Dakotas can my labs do it? Perhaps but wasn't the pointers developed for this and can do the job much, much better?? If am am coon hunting can my labs do it??? Maybe my male killed a coon this year in the cattails once. But the Coon Hound breeds certainly would be a better choice here. But honestly the retriever breeds were developed and line bred specifically for the job of waterfowl hunting, so why look for other breeds? Just to have an odd ball, I don't get it. JMHO

Some friends of mine have a well bred Drahthaar. He doesn't have much retrieving desire and is on the sensitive side. Pointing OK now, but I couldn't imagine getting one for the purpose of retrieving ducks in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by TODD SCHMADL View Post
    Maybe it's me but just don't get posts like this. If I am hunting rabbits can my labs do it?? maybe but wasn't the Beagle developed for this? If I am hunting open plains Sharp-tails in the Dakotas can my labs do it? Perhaps but wasn't the pointers developed for this and can do the job much, much better?? If am am coon hunting can my labs do it??? Maybe my male killed a coon this year in the cattails once. But the Coon Hound breeds certainly would be a better choice here. But honestly the retriever breeds were developed and line bred specifically for the job of waterfowl hunting, so why look for other breeds? Just to have an odd ball, I don't get it. JMHO

My thoughts as well. These posts come up a lot on another hunting forum. People don't want to hear it that they need lab when they are looking for a "dove and duck dog". Why try and fit a square peg in a round hole.

I get it if you are a big upland hunter that might go on a duck hunt or two year but for anyone looking for a dog to RETRIEVE birds I suggest getting some type of RETRIEVER because they are good at RETRIEVING things. JMO
    Last edited by Bryan Parks; 11-01-2016 at 01:26 AM.

If someone wanted an all purpose dog and hunted both upland and waterfowl equally then a Continental sporting breed such as a Drahthaar and GWP, GSP, Vizsla, Brittany, Griffon, etc would do well as that was what they were bred for. A well bred dog will have love for both water and land.I will say however that because I started primarily hunting waterfowl is why I went from GSP to labs. When I duck hunted my GSP they had great noses and would trail cripples across water and into tules. They had prey drive up the wazoo.
    Last edited by labsforme; 11-01-2016 at 08:28 AM.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice ***
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy

There's a club member in OK that has a Drat with an HRCH with a pretty decent pass rate. He'll fetch your ducks all day, but I agree with the lighter coat and not being the "best" for a hardcore waterfowler.
    3xGMPR HRCH UH Blackjack's Gen. Stonewall Jackson MH - at stud

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...MH-Yellow-Male

Originally Posted by FOM "you're welcome....unicorns, skittles and rainbow farts...."

My buddy has one straight from Germany - "finished versatile dog". Good tracker and retrieves well but watch out working around other dogs. He will go after any and all sooner or later.

My friend's DD'S were never problematic with other dogs. Maybe less a breed thing than individual thing?