The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: breaking and switching on the diversion bird?

Default breaking and switching on the diversion bird?

so breaking i think i can fix without much work. but my 2 year old has never in his life switched birds. until his first seasoned test this weekend. he almost did it both days but i got him stopped and he grabbed the right bird and got it to me. any tips on fixing switching? dave

"No, here" and whistle toots if mine even thinks about switching.
    Last edited by Tater 7; 08-12-2014 at 10:29 AM.
    Robert Tate
    Tate's Nahla "Nahla"

I don't consider a dog proofed for an "HRC style" diversion until it will ignore a shackled, quacking mallard hen while returning with a bumper. The first time you try it, make sure you are between the dog & the duck. Physical intervention is often necessary to make the point.

To proof breaking, use the same shackled duck thrown over your head.

Use these to make sure your training is solid.
    Mark Land

it is the bird thrown at the line on his way in. when he did it on saturday i couldnt proses what i was seeing.it took a second for me to get on the whistle. i get him heading to it the bird but dropping his mark and bolting just blows my mind. for him that is.
    day 2 i was ready with the whistle. as soon as i shot he sat. i thought great he has it. i turned to set the gun in the stand. when i turned back he had no bird in his and was almost to the diversion bird. hit the whistle and he stopped, looked and went back for his marked bird. i hear one of the judges exhale and say that was close. lol

Mark Land's way of doing it should work with even the most hard headed dog.

Mine was trained with plenty of dead ducks thrown in front of her face (within a few feet) while she was returning from a mark or blind while in training.
    Paula

Dixie's Southern Comfort IV, MH

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is it will not be needed until they try to take it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by griff68w View Post
    it is the bird thrown at the line on his way in. when he did it on saturday i couldnt proses what i was seeing.it took a second for me to get on the whistle. i get him heading to it the bird but dropping his mark and bolting just blows my mind. for him that is.
    day 2 i was ready with the whistle. as soon as i shot he sat. i thought great he has it. i turned to set the gun in the stand. when i turned back he had no bird in his and was almost to the diversion bird. hit the whistle and he stopped, looked and went back for his marked bird. i hear one of the judges exhale and say that was close. lol
    NEVER turn your back on your dog! Wait until he is sitting at your side, THEN place the gun in the stand! -Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    I don't consider a dog proofed for an "HRC style" diversion until it will ignore a shackled, quacking mallard hen while returning with a bumper. The first time you try it, make sure you are between the dog & the duck. Physical intervention is often necessary to make the point.
    And make sure the heeling stick wielding handler doesn't hit you when you are part of a "group intervention." Right Mark?
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    And make sure the heeling stick wielding handler doesn't hit you when you are part of a "group intervention." Right Mark?

It would be hard for me to imagine a worse way to correct switching to a diversion bird on the return from a blind or mark. Are you people serious?
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    NEVER turn your back on your dog! Wait until he is sitting at your side, THEN place the gun in the stand! -Paul
    Excellent advice!!

The later solution was used for one test wise dog when the normal list of solutions had been tried and exhausted. It worked for this dog. NOT a solution for most dogs.
    Mark Land

I would think (My Opinion) its an function (Issue) with the dogs FF.

After all,, a dog that wont drop a bird,,cant switch.
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 08-12-2014 at 02:13 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"