The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Taking the Plunge, Finally!!

Default Taking the Plunge, Finally!!

Well, after all these years of training for duck and goose hunting, I'm finally taking the plunge and making the trip to Emporia, VA for their Hunt Test at the end of the month! Strider will be running in their Senior Test!

I have to admit that I'm thoroughly TERRIFIED! Lol. Excited...but terrified. I always intended to run him in hunt tests since he was a puppy, but just never followed through. Any bit of advice? Common mistakes? Words of comfort to keep me from throwing up at the line??? LOL.

Attempting to ease my nerves!

-Shupe
    Check out my Blog about the ups and downs (mostly ups) about retriever training!! Click the link below!
    Stories of a Duck Dog - http://www.gostriderman.blogspot.com (Updated 2/23/13)

Shupe's King Aragorn of Dewey -- "Strider"

"If you always look behind you, you'll never see what lies ahead."

Don't ask God to guide your steps if you're not willing to lift your feet.

A pro trainer I know for many years went to the line with a bottle of pepto in his back pocket! He says if the thrill/anxiety ever goes away it is time to quit.

Not sure on the advice--if you have never run a hunt test before and are starting at the SH level, be sure you know the rules thoroughly and that your dog has the necessary skill set.

Good luck!!

Meredith

Quote Originally Posted by Shupe25 View Post
    Well, after all these years of training for duck and goose hunting, I'm finally taking the plunge and making the trip to Emporia, VA for their Hunt Test at the end of the month! Strider will be running in their Senior Test!

I have to admit that I'm thoroughly TERRIFIED! Lol. Excited...but terrified. I always intended to run him in hunt tests since he was a puppy, but just never followed through. Any bit of advice? Common mistakes? Words of comfort to keep me from throwing up at the line??? LOL.

Attempting to ease my nerves!

-Shupe
    I would run a search on "first hunt test" or "hunt test advice" on here and read it, but the short answer is read the rulebook for Senior repeatedly, show up early and attend the handlers meeting (watch test dog), identify yourself as a newbie and ask any questions you have at the appropriate time in the handler's meeting. Remember to breath and have a good time.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

the water at Steve's provides judges with a lot to work with. Get your dog in the water between now and then.
    Check the post from Randy about training this weekend in Delaware, call and go........
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Its also a double senior and you can enter them both.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)

Thanks for everyone's advice! Unfortunately, my work schedule changed and we had to scratch. I have done a search on Entry Express and found multiple tests throughout the year that are close to me! Hope to see some of you guys there! Thanks again for taking the time to give advice!

-Shupe
    Check out my Blog about the ups and downs (mostly ups) about retriever training!! Click the link below!
    Stories of a Duck Dog - http://www.gostriderman.blogspot.com (Updated 2/23/13)

Shupe's King Aragorn of Dewey -- "Strider"

"If you always look behind you, you'll never see what lies ahead."

Don't ask God to guide your steps if you're not willing to lift your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shupe25 View Post
    Thanks for everyone's advice! Unfortunately, my work schedule changed and we had to scratch. I have done a search on Entry Express and found multiple tests throughout the year that are close to me! Hope to see some of you guys there! Thanks again for taking the time to give advice!

-Shupe
    There will be a double junior, double senior and a Master in Greenwood De weekend of 31st of May. That is less than an hour away from you.
    Home of CH Shallcross Lake's Chaamp MH RA WDQ CGC
    Shallcross Lake's Little Rascal MH
    Shallcross Lake's Delaware Diva JH
    Four Star Molly MH
    Bob Louie