fans for pickup truck
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fans for pickup truck

Default fans for pickup truck

I have a Ford 150. Got a topper and drawer system.Topper has side openings. We have 2 wire crates on top of drawers.
    Our cab does not have sliding window. Anyway, what recommendations for fans and hookups for them. Thanks.

KM

An auxillary battery box (trolling motor box) and folks on this forum recommend the Fan-Tastic 01100WH Endless Breeze Stand alone Fan.

For example on Amazon:
    Newport Vessels Trolling Motor Smart Battery Box Power Center black ($65-$75) - has 12v and USB outlets
    Fan-Tastic 01100WH Endless Breeze Stand alone Fan (I have seen it for $56 on some RV sites)

All I have left to purchase is the battery for my battery box and the fan. One piece at a time
    Duane Ray

One (extreme) option is to install an RV vent fan in the roof of the truck cap. I just completed this, using the Fan Tastic model 7350. I needed the remote control feature, as it's not possible to reach on-fan controls within the bed, over the dog boxes. Included in the install are: an auxiliary AGM battery (120 ah) in the bed of the truck, a Yandina combiner to connect & charge the aux battery to the truck starter battery/alternator when running, a 400 amp circuit breaker mounted between the batteries, a 50 amp circuit breaker between the battery and fuse block, Blue Sea fuse block between the aux battery and the fan. I tried to get a local RV dealer to install all this for me, but they declined, so I did the work myself.
    Having a vent fan in the top of the truck cap moves a lot of heat away from the dogs. Before this, I used an Endless Breeze fan mounted at the truck cap front window. My truck DOES have a sliding rear window, so was able to connect the Endless Breeze to a cigarette lighter style power connection inside the truck. Reasonable compromise. PM me if you want more details, glad to help while memory is fresh.
    Kevin Nash

I have a deep cycle battery with a inverter and a 20" box fan, moves a lot of air but you need to charge the battery daily. I recently bought an endless breeze fan, doesn't move as much air as the box fan, but still moves slot of air and my battery lasts a weekend. I also have a topper, it's an aluminum one so I insulated it and put a pop up vent towards the from so it will force fresh air in while driving down the hiway.

Quote Originally Posted by knash3 View Post
    One (extreme) option is to install an RV vent fan in the roof of the truck cap. I just completed this, using the Fan Tastic model 7350. I needed the remote control feature, as it's not possible to reach on-fan controls within the bed, over the dog boxes. Included in the install are: an auxiliary AGM battery (120 ah) in the bed of the truck, a Yandina combiner to connect & charge the aux battery to the truck starter battery/alternator when running, a 400 amp circuit breaker mounted between the batteries, a 50 amp circuit breaker between the battery and fuse block, Blue Sea fuse block between the aux battery and the fan. I tried to get a local RV dealer to install all this for me, but they declined, so I did the work myself.
    Having a vent fan in the top of the truck cap moves a lot of heat away from the dogs. Before this, I used an Endless Breeze fan mounted at the truck cap front window. My truck DOES have a sliding rear window, so was able to connect the Endless Breeze to a cigarette lighter style power connection inside the truck. Reasonable compromise. PM me if you want more details, glad to help while memory is fresh.
    Kevin Nash
    What model Yandina combiner?
    Duane Ray

Yandina combiner is 160. The 2004 F150 alternator is rated for slightly too many amps to use a smaller model, and the price difference is minor. This model also has a "High Volts" option to disconnect the batteries when voltage is too high, useful for an AGM aux battery that has a lower float voltage target than the starting battery. Not vital, but chose to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by knash3 View Post
    Yandina combiner is 160. The 2004 F150 alternator is rated for slightly too many amps to use a smaller model, and the price difference is minor. This model also has a "High Volts" option to disconnect the batteries when voltage is too high, useful for an AGM aux battery that has a lower float voltage target than the starting battery. Not vital, but chose to use it.
    When you start your vehicle, does it draw from both the coach battery and the Aux battery? Or is the coach isolated?
    Duane Ray

Check out Prairie Logic and/or Ruff Tough Kennels. They have, in my opinion, the ideal fan for you. I have similar setup as you, an F150 with topper, drawers and two pet porter style crates. I have a Prairie Logic fan on the door of each crate. Super quiet, move lots if air and draw very little power. I have them hardwired into the same power supply that runs to the dome light inside my topper. If you haven't got a dome light, I'm sure you can run a wire from under the hood. Or perhaps you have a 12 volt receptacle in the box of your truck. The fan is made by a fellow that grew up in my hometown and his father and my father worked together for many years. I think the fan is similar to a fan on a 4-wheeler or snowmobile. Obviously the circuitry is the design to drive the fan with minimal draw. I believe the fan draw right around two amps on the highbaetting. The fan has two speeds. The fan is designed for exactly your situation. They are durable and very nicely designed. You can go to prairielogic.com or the the Ruff Tough website. It's the same fan. Prare Logic makes the fan for Ruff Tough, just puts a different label on it. They are a little pricey, but we'll worth it. On the Prairie Logic site you can see several applications of the fan. I've run my fans for 8 hours or better without the truck running and have never had a dead or low battery. And if you wire it correctly there is no need to have the key in the ignition. I got my first one about 4 years ago and just about every test or trial o went to people stopped by and examined the fan. To my knowledge there is nothing else like it out there and you don't have to deal with an extra battery in your truck, any kind of power inverter/converter or some other cobbled up kind of rigamorol to provide some air flow.

Quote Originally Posted by maliretriever View Post
    I have a Ford 150. Got a topper and drawer system.Topper has side openings. We have 2 wire crates on top of drawers.
    Our cab does not have sliding window. Anyway, what recommendations for fans and hookups for them. Thanks.

KM
    I use Endless Breeze. Had topper installed with three cigaratte lighter plug-ins in the rear.image.jpg
    Heza Rock Star SH (FC AFC Shaq x HRCH Kerrybrook's All Jazz'd Up MH (Jazz))
    Magnolia Jazz of Kerrybrook SH (CH Kerrybrook's Vince MH x Jazz)
    Guns of Autumn SH (RIP) (FC AFC CFC CAFC Jazztime MH x Canby's Magic Spell)

Old question use the RTF search engine.

3rd vehicle with a stand alone under-hood 12 volt battery.Factory or dealer installed. Meets factory new vehicle warranty if dealer installed.Chevrolet. Separate fused wiring to to pick-up rear with redundant fused receptacle. . 8 foot bed with an ARE Topper having "windoors" and sliding cab/rear topper windows. Three fused Endless Breeze fans. Details are in the preparation, when you have 95-100 degree summers.
    Last edited by swliszka; 06-29-2016 at 12:12 PM.