The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wingers in Field Trials

Default Wingers in Field Trials

Having come from a Hunt Test background and preparing to start running derbies next year I have been to several tests to observe and learn.

One thing I noticed is every test I have been to all the birds are hand thrown and no wingers are used.

The other thing I noticed is a lot of the gallery talk during the setup/test dog revolves around, they need a better throw there, that needs to be higher etc. and during the series the throws seem to be somewhat inconsistent as expected with human error.

So are wingers typically not used in Field Trials and why? Or did I just witness an anomaly of tests not using them. I worked at a couple FTs in the midwest and I thought they used wingers with gunners but couldn't swear to it.

As an outsider is just seems a mechanical device would yield a more consistent throw for a competitive environment.

Skywatcher Salem Orchard Hard "Cider"

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post
    So are wingers typically not used in Field Trials and why? .
    They are rarely used and there is no good reason why they are not used other than the wheel is big and sometimes it turns very slowly or maybe they are considered dangerous as layout blinds were......

The throw from a winger is harder to see once you get to certain distance. I don't mind them on shorter flyers, but I'm not sure I'd be in love with wingers at longer stations.

Hand thrown birds are pretty darn consistent if ya ask me and probably more so than mechanical devices. Hand throw birds also give the dog a better look at the mark versus a Hot bird at 200+ yards. In 2006 I shot flyers out of a winger Jerry Day made us use at an open he judged, the birds were out there to put it mildly.
    Biggest safety issue with flyers is keeping them in the pouch prior to kicking the release. Way too easy to just throw the flyer or dead bird and way less hassle of buying, maintaining equipment & hauling around.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Way too easy to just throw the flyer or dead bird and way less hassle of buying, maintaining equipment & hauling around.
    Yes, when you have an experienced thrower which is not always the case. I have judged more than once when the flyer thrower had never thrown a dead bird much less a flyer.

We used a winger for our flyer in the first and last series this past weekend. I love a nice hand thrown flyer, but we were going to have multiple gun changes. To keep it fair, a winger is the only way to go when you are in that situation. I have also never very many people that can make the same throw for the 70-80th dog as they did the 1st dog. I don’t care how good or bad someone is at throwing a flyer, you very seldom get the same throw when you change gunners. Just a fyi, FC AFC Holland didn’t have a problem with marking off of one!
    Brandon Edmondson

Ive asked myself that for a few years as I run HRC the majority of the time and I've never ran a field trial. I have seen hand thrown birds in AKC hunt tests also and now that I've ran a few of then, IMO a hand thrown bird is much slower than one out of a winger, at longer distances I think it might be a little easier for a dog to pick it out. A winger has the advantage of breaking the horizon and throwing further, but birds that don't break the horizon I now believe a hand thrown bird would be a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandoned View Post
    We used a winger for our flyer in the first and last series this past weekend. I love a nice hand thrown flyer, but we were going to have multiple gun changes. To keep it fair, a winger is the only way to go when you are in that situation. I have also never very many people that can make the same throw for the 70-80th dog as they did the 1st dog. I don’t care how good or bad someone is at throwing a flyer, you very seldom get the same throw when you change gunners. Just a fyi, FC AFC Holland didn’t have a problem with marking off of one!
    Which is fine if you have the right winger for the job. The only wingers that throw a nice flyer are the slingshot type IMO, which is what you had I believe. Most of the trigger release ones are very poor flyer throwers, again, JMO.

But I do not disagree that if your options are a winger or a person who has never thrown a flyer, the winger may be your better option.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

IMO a kick winger should be used for every flyer. It ensures a much more consistent throw. Other than that I don't think they should be allowed in field trials. It's hell to see a bird at 400 plus fired out of a winger.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Hand thrown birds are pretty darn consistent if ya ask me and probably more so than mechanical devices. Hand throw birds also give the dog a better look at the mark versus a Hot bird at 200+ yards. In 2006 I shot flyers out of a winger Jerry Day made us use at an open he judged, the birds were out there to put it mildly.
    Biggest safety issue with flyers is keeping them in the pouch prior to kicking the release. Way too easy to just throw the flyer or dead bird and way less hassle of buying, maintaining equipment & hauling around.
    Don't use a kick release and there is no problem of keeping birds in the basket. We have more that get away getting them out of the box than out of the pouch and that can happen if hand thrown or winger thrown. Wingers throw a very nice flyer, especially on a windy day where hand thrown birds are difficult. The Winger just has more power to overcome the wind.
    Still I like hand thrown marks at greater distance
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke