The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you consider a meat dog?

Default What do you consider a meat dog?

I have heard the term used from anything to an untrained dog that hunts, to a dog that hunts only and does not or has not ever competed (may be very well trained).

A trained dog that is only used for hunting.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

This was my meat dog Buddy (R.I.P.), hunted anything...

Everyone will have their definition. When I hear the term it is most often a derogatory term.

My definition is much different. A meat dog is a dog that brings back the meat. They retrieve ducks, doves and geese that would otherwise be lost. They may play the hunt test game or field trial game but the dogs primary purpose is hunting. For me it is a complement! My dogs have hunt test titles but they are meat dogs.
    Mark Land

Here's a piece of Trivia:

The late Richard A. Wolters wrote a book entitled "Meat Dog". The publisher changed the name to "Game Dog" for marketing reasons.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Meat dog is a term that is used by people who dont want to spend the time or money to train a dog to be an efficient retriever. Sometimes called a rock dog or a shell dog because you better have a pocket of either to get the dog to the bird. You hear it all the time, I dont want a dog trained to do hand signals, I just want a meat dog. And they only want to pay $200 for it. I just need a meat dog.

Pretty broad term. Could mean completely untrained dog, "rock" dog as someone else said, or a full trained dog that the owner doesn't really care about some of the "intricacies" (ie bank running, swim by, etc) necessary to pass a test or win a trial but still wants a highly trained dog

Trained companion that joins you in the field with no awards, monies, expecations, pressure etc. Purely your best hunting friend and will do anything and everything to please you.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackwacker View Post
    Meat dog is a term that is used by people who dont want to spend the time or money to train a dog to be an efficient retriever. Sometimes called a rock dog or a shell dog because you better have a pocket of either to get the dog to the bird. You hear it all the time, I dont want a dog trained to do hand signals, I just want a meat dog. And they only want to pay $200 for it. I just need a meat dog.
    I disagree completly. My female is a meat dog because I don't have time to play the games. Does that mean she isn't a trained dog no. A ton of people couldn't care less about getting there dog titled they just want a good solid dog to enjoy hunting over. Its statements like this that keep hunters off this website.

Amen Gerald!