Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: PRA testing for Labs

Hi
    http://www.optigen.com/opt11_calendar.taf

Discount days advertised again.
    September 23, 2013 through October 07, 2013 - September Discount Days
    Discount Days are back! Enter requests online between the 23rd of September through the 7th of October using the code Dogdays913 for a total of 25% off the cost of testing. This code is valid for online entry this timeframe only, however you may take up to 30 days from the date of entry to get your shipments to OptiGen. For more information please contact our office at

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office.
    Breed: All Breeds
    Email:

genetest@optigen.com
    Phone: 607 257 0301

Pattie
    Effective gun control is hitting what you aim at!

Premier's Carbon Star by:
    The Era of Zeus MH (NFC Patton x Ivy QAA) x Buck Creek Lexus by Widgeon JH (NAFC Carbon x Splash QAA)
    PRA: Normal/Clear
    RD/OSD: Normal
    NARC: Normal

http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1552448#animal
    Last edited by TonyRodgz; 10-27-2013 at 06:32 AM.
    Premier's Carbon Star
    by The Era of Zeus MH (NFC Patton x Ivy QAA by FC AFC Rudy) x
    HR Buck Creek Lexus by Widgeon JH (NAFC Carbon x Splash QAA by FC AFC Cougar)

Carbon Star Katniss
    By FC AFC Windy City's Mighty Mouse (NAFC Carbon x FC AFC Cody) x Flirt'n Lean Lex of Babyduck SH (NAFC Grady x Flirt QAA by NFC Chopper)

Rattlinridge Gunsmoke "Dillon". PRA Normal

Rainmaker's Southern Gamble "Wager", (Grady x Kaney Bayou Perfect Ten, MH) PRA normal. RD/OSD normal.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 10-30-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Folks I have experienced the heartbreak of a dog with PRA. I can say you must check the parents. I invested 2.5 years in a dog, Buster, and got him thru Juniors, Seniors and 3 passes of the MH and I started noticing he was having problems that I felt were behavioral. At fisrt I didn't understand what was going on but as time wore on I began to realize he was having some trouble seeing. I took him to a vet that specialized in eyes and she said she could definitely see something in his eyes and said he definitely was having severe trouble seeing. This was quite a shock to me but then I immediately understood the problems I was having with him. All the issues became clear. We did a blood test and the test results came back negative with the statement that he was a carrier of the PRA gene. I am sure that the negative result was incorrect. I guess even an infallible test gets it wrong some percentage because I know they got it wrong. He is mostly blind now and continues to get progressively blinder. He can see fairly reliably out maybe 10 yards...I think. At times he bumps into things, mostly in low light sitations. His hunt test career has been over since this problem came up. Man what a nice dog he was until this came up. Passed every test he ran and was running and passing his 3rd master series by the time he was 2. Some people might have put him down knowing his prognosis. I did not. I have been through several dogs that I took to the master level of hunt tests yet he still remains my favorite, He sleeps in the bed most times and goes everywhere with me.

With this all being said I recommend everyone to demand a negative PRA test and CERF on any pup they will be getting if you don't want your hard time wasted and your heart broke.
    The More I Learn About People ,The More I Love My Dog!

A good friend will bail you out of jail. A really good friend will be sitting in jail beside you saying "DAMN that was fun!!!"

So sorry about your dog. Did the opthomologist say it was PRA when looking at his eyes? If so, you could likely call the testing lab (Optigen I'm assuming) and have him retested (at no additional cost), given the info from the doctor. Make sure you chose the correct type of PRA to test for. The prcd type is the most common type in Labs, and the one generally tested for. Labs can however be affected by other types of PRA, but from what I've read it's pretty rare. Carriers of any type should have no symptoms and can be bred, but only to a dog tested clear/non-carrier.

Buster Brown, I would say much the same as Weathered. Prcd-PRA is known in Labs. It is entirely correct that the test was accurate, but there is some other mutation causing PRA in Labs which does not have a DNA test yet. In Goldens we have that, and 2 other forms of PRA we can test for; and there is at least one more form.

Optigen tests dogs who are physically diagnosed by a ACVO (board certified veterinary opthmalogist) at no charge. Their website carries a lot of information about the types of PRA that occur in various breeds. I believe (but am not certain) that when they test a physically affected dog, they may use all the PRA tests that they have available ... since some types of PRA occur in many breeds, i.e. over 20 breeds carry the Prcd-PRA gene mutation ... the same mutation in all those many breeds.

The prcd-PRA test was first developed based on an affected Lab owned by The Seeing Eye. It was not identified in Goldens until 2007. While Labs and Goldens share some ancestors (way back in pedigrees), not all the breeds that can have the prcd-PRA mutation can necessarily be that closely connected to each other.

It is also not clear exactly when the signs of PRA can be detected in a dog. The vision might be obviously deficient until they are 5 or 6 years old. Right now two Goldens are being monitored who were dx'd by DNA test as being affected. They are around 6 years old now, and don't show obvious signs of the disease. One of these, however, did have an electroretinograph at maybe around 2 or 3, and that test did indicate the signs of the disease. All of us should be very grateful to those owners for their diligence in contributing to our knowledge about the progression of the disease.

While it is a heartbreaker to have such a nice dog have such a serious disease, at least PRA is one of the diseases that does not cause the dog pain. My friend owns a 10 yr old Golden who is now, for all practical purposes, totally blind from PRA. She still likes to retrieve bumpers ... she listens for the bumper to fall and then uses her nose to find it! She is happy as a pig in mud. She brought her out to a recent agility trial to "meet and greet" ... and you would not have known she is blind. Dogs are much better at adjusting than humans to this loss of vision. They live in their moment, and enjoy every moment. We could probably learn a lot from their attitude! Keep your dog safe, and enjoy every wonderful moment you will have.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by weathered View Post
    So sorry about your dog. Did the opthomologist say it was PRA when looking at his eyes? If so, you could likely call the testing lab (Optigen I'm assuming) and have him retested (at no additional cost), given the info from the doctor. Make sure you chose the correct type of PRA to test for. The prcd type is the most common type in Labs, and the one generally tested for. Labs can however be affected by other types of PRA, but from what I've read it's pretty rare. Carriers of any type should have no symptoms and can be bred, but only to a dog tested clear/non-carrier.
    I am not sure that she ( DR. Morgan, Knoxville, TN) knew for sure exactly what was wrong. She stated she knew some gray matter was back in there (whatever that means) and she wanted to do a blood test for PRA. Yes she is a canine opthamologist. I have seen her since getting my other dogs checked and CERFed. She has asked me to bring him back to look at him but it is a 3 hour drive and I see no reason to take him back. The prognosis will not change.

Buster is now 7. He barely sees but uses his other senses very keenly. I have noticed his irises seem to bee a yellowish brown color. The pupils seem to remain the same size most times, raely dialated or contracted, and one pupil will often not match the other. Not like any of the other dogs. He does not move his eyes much and I know he does not see very far.

He will still retrieve a mark from as far as 40 or 50 yards if he hears the bird boy he looks at him but never (even if the bird boy is at 10 yards) follows the bird thrown. But he will swing his head when he hears the bird or bumper hit. I dove hunted him this past season and he did fine. He doesn't retrieve as promptly as any of my master hunters but he can dig a bird out in deep cover as good or better than any of them. Sometimes I have to whistle to remind him where I am when he is on his way back.

It is sometimes pretty hard to tell he is blind. I had a friend tell me that he thinks the dog sees just fine.

He relies on his other senses to take up where his eyesight falls off.

He's happy and treated pretty decent now that he's retired. In fact as I write this he is laying in the living room by the fire. I like to tell people he is happy because he doesn't know he's not supposed to be blind.
    The More I Learn About People ,The More I Love My Dog!

A good friend will bail you out of jail. A really good friend will be sitting in jail beside you saying "DAMN that was fun!!!"

Buster Brown, it would be worth having him examined each year. There are often "clinics" run by local clubs where you can have that done by an ACVO for around $35.

The reason for continuing the exams is to see if the exact diagnosis can be made. Maybe it is not PRA, but it could be something else ... might be inherited; or might not be. Documenting what happens with your dog, whatever it is, may help someone else's dog in the future.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Buster Brown, I have a dog with PRA, I feel your heartbreak. I don't think it is a hard diagnosis for a vet to make. My regular vet could see that the retinas were deteriorating and referred me to the animal ophthalmologist. I bring my dog in regularly for eye checks, as PRA can lead to inflammation and painful cataracts. My dog has also developed glaucoma, a very painful disease if left untreated. If you are not taking your dog back to the animal ophthalmologist, I hope your local vet is taking care of your dog's eyes and the potential complications of his eye disease.

PRA is not an easy disease for dogs.
    Renee P