The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: PRA testing for Labs

How much are the PRA and Rd test??? I will order Ty's test as soon as I get him.
    Lavender's Red Solo Cup " Solo "

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chasidy Lavender View Post
    How much are the PRA and Rd test??? I will order Ty's test as soon as I get him.

Why?........

WRL

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    Why?........

WRL
    LOL! Have to agree with Lee on that.

Won't matter if the pup is PRA & RD clear if the hips or elbows don't turn out. So, it makes great sense to do the hips/elbows first, then move onto the DNA testing. If the hips/elbows don't turn out, you'll never need to do the DNA tests for breeding purposes.

Since the eye diseases don't usually begin to have effect until later than 2 years of age, if the pup is really look promising in training, then you might want to make sure he is not affected with any eye disease that might interfere with his training as he moves forward. Again, since you won't know that for a while until he begins some serious training. Since "carriers" do not manifest the disease, and can still be bred, unless you have some reason to think your pup might be "affected", spending the money for these tests early in life is not cost-effective.

OTOH, EIC might be something that would impact the pup early on, so that might be one of the tests that you might want to do earlier. Same for CNM. If you can find out now that a pup is physically unsuited for a heavy working schedule, then it makes sense to get these answers early.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Ditto Gerry. This pup's sire is EIC/CNM clear so that's not even an issue yet. Do CERF, then OFA then worry about the genetic tests that pertain to breeding only. I wouldn't spend hundreds doing genetic tests on a pup if I was confident they weren't affected.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Melanie Foster

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post

Won't matter if the pup is PRA & RD clear if the hips or elbows don't turn out. So, it makes great sense to do the hips/elbows first, then move onto the DNA testing. If the hips/elbows don't turn out, you'll never need to do the DNA tests for breeding purposes.

Since the eye diseases don't usually begin to have effect until later than 2 years of age, if the pup is really look promising in training, then you might want to make sure he is not affected with any eye disease that might interfere with his training as he moves forward. Again, since you won't know that for a while until he begins some serious training. Since "carriers" do not manifest the disease, and can still be bred, unless you have some reason to think your pup might be "affected", spending the money for these tests early in life is not cost-effective.

OTOH, EIC might be something that would impact the pup early on, so that might be one of the tests that you might want to do earlier. Same for CNM. If you can find out now that a pup is physically unsuited for a heavy working schedule, then it makes sense to get these answers early.
    Since it's already gone off topic, Gerry, have any other Goldens been reported as having gone blind from prcd-PRA?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post

I'd do CERF NOW (asap). Then re-do CERF after 2 years of age (if there are NO issues between the 8 weeks and 2 years old). THEN do OFA x-rays and then go from there.

WRL

Melanie Foster

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    I'd do CERF NOW (asap). Then re-do CERF after 2 years of age (if there are NO issues between the 8 weeks and 2 years old). THEN do OFA x-rays and then go from there.

WRL
    Unless he's going to be a stud dog in the future in which case you should have him collected now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie Foster View Post
    Unless he's going to be a stud dog in the future in which case you should have him collected now.
    In that case, the poster should then be directed to the "Stud dog Responsibility" thread.

WRL

I don't even send the papers in anymore until I know they are a keeper. I don't know what the rush is to find a name for the papers before you even get a puppy. Why waste the name, that is, if it's a good one.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie Foster View Post
    Since it's already gone off topic, Gerry, have any other Goldens been reported as having gone blind from prcd-PRA?
    A few have been collected to the point they couldn't see a feed bowl at their feet.....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"