The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: PRA testing for Labs

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    I'd do CERF NOW (asap). Then re-do CERF after 2 years of age (if there are NO issues between the 8 weeks and 2 years old). THEN do OFA x-rays and then go from there.

WRL
    The recommendation by Aguirre, et al, is to CERF as a baby, again at ~6-12 mos, and annually after that if the lines are at risk for RD. There is another fold that can show up after the puppy check and before 18 mos or so according to the journal article I talked about awhile back (cited below). It was found the hard way by Seeing Eye. The pups CERFd free of folds at or before 10 wks, but some had geographic folds when they returned to the school for formal training at 18 mos or so.
    Here is the reference: Holle DM, Stankovics M, Sarna C, and Aguirre GD. "The Geographic form of retinal dysplasia in dogs is not always a congenital abnormality". Veterinary Ophthamology (1999) 2, 61-66.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    The recommendation by Aguirre, et al, is to CERF as a baby, again at ~6-12 mos, and annually after that if the lines are at risk for RD. There is another fold that can show up after the puppy check and before 18 mos or so according to the journal article I talked about awhile back (cited below). It was found the hard way by Seeing Eye. The pups CERFd free of folds at or before 10 wks, but some had geographic folds when they returned to the school for formal training at 18 mos or so.
    Here is the reference: Holle DM, Stankovics M, Sarna C, and Aguirre GD. "The Geographic form of retinal dysplasia in dogs is not always a congenital abnormality". Veterinary Ophthamology (1999) 2, 61-66.
    Right. But those folds don't disappear.

So do the CERF as a baby (8 weeks) then again at 2 years old (basically before you invest in OFA X-ray $$).

WRL

Ty has has a appointment for Thursday to get his eyes Cerf'd. I'm sure it will turn out good. But then again I thought Flirt would to and she turned out to be RD affected.
    Last edited by LavenderLabs; 03-24-2011 at 11:38 AM.
    Lavender's Red Solo Cup " Solo "

Chas,

Go to the Optigen website, they have a price list. Fairly expensive compared to EIC or CERF testing.
    Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
    www.northmountainretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by North Mountain View Post
    Chas,

Go to the Optigen website, they have a price list. Fairly expensive compared to EIC or CERF testing.
    Laura You Are The BEST. thank you for being Nice and answering my question.....

PRA is like $200 unless you get it done on sale. I would just do CERF at this time because PRA carriers can still be bred to clears and you need to worry about hips and elbows passing. Why spend money when you don't know if the dog is even going to be breeding material. How many pups have you sold in the last couple of years before they are even ready to do the other certs? CERF is the cheapest cert and can be done right away
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Right. But those folds don't disappear.

So do the CERF as a baby (8 weeks) then again at 2 years old (basically before you invest in OFA X-ray $$).

WRL
    We're on the same wavelength-- I'd much rather wash a dog out at 1 yo vs 2yo however (before I get terribly attached and have already spent a bundle on obed classes, not to mention $70 entries on JH, etc). I have access to several CERF clinics here for ~$22 a dog, so it makes more sense to me to do it annually along w/ the other dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    We're on the same wavelength-- I'd much rather wash a dog out at 1 yo vs 2yo however (before I get terribly attached and have already spent a bundle on obed classes, not to mention $70 entries on JH, etc). I have access to several CERF clinics here for ~$22 a dog, so it makes more sense to me to do it annually along w/ the other dogs.
    WOw Thata Cheap. I remember paying 32 dollars about 2 years ago, then went to the same vet, which is the only vet around here that can cerf and I paid 42.50 when i went and had Flirt done a couple weeks ago.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chasidy Lavender View Post
    Ty has has a appointment for Thursday to get his eyes Cerf'd. I'm sure it will turn out good. But then again I thought Flirt would to and she turned out to be RD affected.
    Chas,

Your question was answered a week ago on another thread. I posted the website for you on that thread.

Hey, if you want to spend $400-500 BEFORE he even gets old enough for OFA pre-lims then go for it.

I would RECOMMEND the CERF exam right away and then worry about him being a CARRIER for other stuff later. Because EVEN IF he is clear on everything, if his hips or elbows are bad, it won't matter if he is a carrier.

WRL
    Last edited by WRL; 03-24-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Chas,

Your question was answered a week ago on another thread. I posted the website for you on that thread.

Hey, if you want to spend $400-500 BEFORE he even gets old enough for OFA pre-lims then go for it.

I would RECOMMEND the CERF exam right away and then worry about him being a CARRIER for other stuff later. Because EVEN IF he is clear on everything, if his hips or elbows are bad, it won't matter if he is a carrier.

WRL
    I thought thats what I said here. I'm getting Ty cerf'd on thursday. But thank you, I'm not going to worry about PRA and the RD test at this time. Cant wait for puppy breath :0)