The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: PRA testing for Labs

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chasidy Lavender View Post
    How much are the PRA and Rd test??? I will order Ty's test as soon as I get him.

Nope. This is what you said.

Then your post above (couple posts above this one, which you have edited) said that your "question" did not get answered. When the original question was asked (6 days ago on your "Eye Test" post) I posted Optigen's website. I bumped it up about 30 minutes ago but now I see that since I bumped it, you have deleted that post.

WRL

Quote Originally Posted by Chasidy Lavender View Post
    WOw Thata Cheap. I remember paying 32 dollars about 2 years ago, then went to the same vet, which is the only vet around here that can cerf and I paid 42.50 when i went and had Flirt done a couple weeks ago.
    It's ~$38/dog at the doc's office for me currently. Look for clinics, and you'll find they will be MUCH cheaper ($20-25 around here at shows or club clinics) because the club hosting the clinic acts as the doc's staff that day-- usually at their own location so the overhead is suddenly out of the picture. I personally filled out all 61 CERF forms last month for my club's clinic. It was ~20+ volunteered hours on my part to organize it, but you maybe can understand why we do it. Makes others very happy...

FC Blackwater's Last Resort "Finn"

PRA Normal\clear Results have been sent to OFA should be up in next week or two.

http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1353394#animal
    Bob

http://lonewillowkennel.com/at-stud.html

A Sportsman is gracious in defeat, humble in victory and appreciates the opportunity to compete. HPW

Rough Waters Blew By You. PRA Normal
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Optigen Discount Days coming up in June.

http://www.optigen.com/opt9_discountdays.html

This is a great savings. I used this last year to do my girl. You do not have to use it right away either. Just purchase it during the time frame to get the savings. You can send in the swabs any time.

Pattie
    Effective gun control is hitting what you aim at!

Pleasant Pine;s Hidden Treasure, SH, WCX
    Optigen A - PRA clear

FC/AFC Land Ahoy x Peakebrooke's Tiger's Eye, QAA
    Karen & Dick Kennedy

Home of:
    Pleasant Pine's A Bit of Mischief, CDX, MH,WCX,Can WC,CC,CGC
    Wilmark's Jus 1 Mor at Pleasant Pine, SH, RA, WCX, CC, CGC
    Pleasant Pine's Hidden Treasure, CDX, MH, WCX, CC, CGC
    Cedarwood's Always Playing at Pleasant Pine, CD JH

www.Pleasantpinelabs.com
    Avatar Picture - Pleasant Pine's Hidden Treasure,CDX,MH,WCX,CC,CGC
    taken by Marsha Wilcox Photography

F.CH Calm Be Fore The Storm
    EIC- clear
    CNM- clear
    PRA- clear (sire now tested:carrier)
    Last edited by weathered; 06-23-2013 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Adding info

I have a website for Chessies that includes a pedigree database. The pedigrees include all health clearances, including ones like PRA, EIC, etc. One can search the database and get a list of all dogs with EIC clearances, for instance, or an OFA number, or a particular title. The list of names then has links off it to pedigrees, litters, half-sibs, and so forth.

Would a database of this type be of interest to other retriever breeds? I am thinking about including similar databases for other retriever breeds to the site and broadening the audience somewhat, as the informational pages apply to almost all breeds, but retrievers, especially.

Informational pages cover basic genetic principles, individual pages for health topics, links and forms for obtaining health clearances, and so forth. Still, I think most people use the site just for the database, lol!

Lisa
    "Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." - Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets

http://www.chessieinfo.net

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    PRA is like $200 unless you get it done on sale. I would just do CERF at this time because PRA carriers can still be bred to clears and you need to worry about hips and elbows passing. Why spend money when you don't know if the dog is even going to be breeding material. How many pups have you sold in the last couple of years before they are even ready to do the other certs? CERF is the cheapest cert and can be done right away
    The tests are much cheaper done at a "20/20 Clinic" and when you do more than one test, at such clinics you get a 45% discount on each test! We have had Labs participate in the past doing the RD and prcd-PRA tests. That brings the cost of the prcd-PRA test (usually $195) to just a bit over $100. The RD/OS test normally $160, comes out at just under $100. Using the clinic is close to getting a "two-fer".

Anyone in the Atlanta area can take advantage of this at the GRCA National Specialty clinic! We can take all breeds for our DNA-testing clinic. And the blood draw and shipping are also free at the GRCA clinic. (Breeds other than Goldens can NOT be sent direct to Optigen & get the clinic discount ... however, there is a convoluted way to do that. If interested, contact me direct at G.Clinchy@Gmail.com).

If you are interested in sending a DNA sample to the OFA DNA repository, this can also be done. For this, you will have to pay a $20 fee to OFA. The fee for Goldens is paid by The Golden Retriever Foundation.

Blood draws will be done at the Fied Trial Welcome Banquet and for 2 days at the show site, between 10 AM - 3 PM. You can find more detailed information on this on the RTF "Event Forum".

Like WRL, I don't do the DNA testing until AFTER hips and elbows. I do physical eye exams and heart exams earlier when clinics are available.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Van Loo View Post
    I have a website for Chessies that includes a pedigree database. The pedigrees include all health clearances, including ones like PRA, EIC, etc. One can search the database and get a list of all dogs with EIC clearances, for instance, or an OFA number, or a particular title. The list of names then has links off it to pedigrees, litters, half-sibs, and so forth.

Would a database of this type be of interest to other retriever breeds? I am thinking about including similar databases for other retriever breeds to the site and broadening the audience somewhat, as the informational pages apply to almost all breeds, but retrievers, especially.

Lisa, this sounds like a great database! Golden people are pretty addicted to www.k9data.com. The problem is that it was not meant to be a health database, so one cannot search by health clearances.

There is now a database for Golden DNA testing, www.GoldenDNA.org, which is free for listing results or using. Unfortunately, for prcd-PRA, for example, we only have about 1/3 of the dogs tested who are listed there. The owners of the dogs tested must take the initiative to publish the results, since Optigen will not do so.

Informational pages cover basic genetic principles, individual pages for health topics, links and forms for obtaining health clearances, and so forth. Still, I think most people use the site just for the database, lol!

Lisa
    I urge all Golden owners who have done DNA testing on their dogs to visit www.GoldenDNA.org and take advantage of the free service of recording their dogs' DNA test results. Listings are welcome for ALL DNA tests available for Goldens: prcd-PRA, GR_PRA1, and Ichthyosis.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.