The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: PRA testing for Labs

Mike, my vet charges $15 for the blood draw. Then it costs $5.25 to ship in the smallest Priority Mail Flat Rate Box. This is a good time to do the blood testing since no special precautions about the blood getting too warm during shipping.

We have also learned that Optigen has been storing DNA on all submissions ... until they run out of storage space. So, if next year there is a new DNA test for Labs they can do the new test; or send the DNA to whichever laboratory is doing the test. Saves you another trip to the vet.

Would also encourage Lab people to send DNA samples on all their dogs to OFA's CHIC DNA repository. Among Goldens, The Golden Retriever Foundation holds "clinics" at our National Specialties (and local clubs as well). The OFA has a $20 fee for this service, and GRF pays that fee for Goldens. As a result of these efforts, Goldens have the largest # of DNA samples preserved with OFA. It could eventually mean a "head start" on DNA research for future genetic problems. The program has been well-supported by Golden people across the Board.

Many advantages to this: OFA releases this DNA to researchers who may be developing new DNA tests. Also, this DNA can also be "withdrawn" by an owner (or his legal assigns later) if new DNA tests become available. As far as I know there is no time limit on how long OFA will store this DNA. Such DNA storage could ultimately be of use in finding the DNA tests for those forms of PRA (as an example) for which there is no test yet.

Perhaps there is some Labrador "entity" that could do the same for Labs? Something like our Golden clinics could be held at things like the National Am, National Open, Master National?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

that would be good

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Pickering View Post
    One more to add to the list.
    http://www.offa.org/results.html?all=Kpr%27s+Wet+Willie

If one is going to draw blood for the prcd/PRA DNA test why not also do the other two eye related DNA tests offered by Optigen? Certainly the Retinal Dysplasia/OculoSkeletal Dysplasia (RD/OSD) test or has dwarfism been eliminated from Labrador Retrievers.
    No, dwarfism as not been eliminated. I know of a breeding last year that produced it.

Quote Originally Posted by LabFan View Post
    No, dwarfism as not been eliminated. I know of a breeding last year that produced it.
    I believe that the RD/OS test was available in 2010. Our Optigen clinic back then had a couple of requests for that test.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Laurel Perram
    http://www.lantzslakeretrievers.com/

DreamMeyer's Hope of the Summit MH "Hope"
    DreamMeyer's Faith at the Summit MH "Faith
    Lzl's Loaded Gun MH "Pow"

HRCH CPR Wind River SST MH (MPR Rattlinridge's Bronco Bill MH X Stoneridge's Ms. Abrakadabra MH) PRA Clear/Normal

Quote Originally Posted by chessielvr View Post
    HRCH CPR Wind River SST MH (MPR Rattlinridge's Bronco Bill MH X Stoneridge's Ms. Abrakadabra MH) PRA Clear/Normal
    And despite that silly screen name, Jet *is* a Labrador! Just sayin...

HRK Rooster Smasher of TGK PRA normal/clear
    Torgslabs
    www.Torgslabs.com
    4XGMPR HRCH (GRHRCH pass)HRK ROOSTER SMASHER, MH, QAA
    STONEY BURKE, MH, QAA
    ERIK THE RED, MH
    HUNTING MEMORIES, SH "TANNER"

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Fenloch Ffynongain Stout "Finn" - Carrier PRA, RD/OSD Clear
    Fenloch Downton Abbey "Abbey" - Carrier PRA, RD/OSD Clear
    (Levenghyl Ffynongain Jackson of Willinghurst (clear)"Todd" ex. SHR Firehouses Brit Bucket Brigade (carrier) "Molly" )

Firehouselabs Money To Burn "Dollar" - Clear PRA, RD/OSD Clear (FC AFC CAFC Money Talks II ex River Creek's Foxy Paige)

Firehouselabs Whitewater Res-Q "Fish" - Clear PRA, RD/OSD Clear (FC Fish River's Out Of The Park ex Taylorslab Fear This QAA)
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Optigen is having another sale in May.
    http://www.optigen.com/opt11_calendar.taf

May 07, 2012 through May 20, 2012 - Spring Discount Days
    OptiGen will be offering our Spring Discount Days for online entries starting May 7th through May 20th. Entries need to be made during that time using the code maydays12 for the maximum discount of 25%. Clients will have up to 30 days from the date of their online request to get samples to OptiGen for testing. For more information, please contact Becky at 607-257-0301 or email genetest@optigen.com. Happy Spring!

Pattie
    Effective gun control is hitting what you aim at!