RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

PRA testing for Labs

1M views 178 replies 83 participants last post by  mwk56 
#1 ·
I'd like to start a thread on PRA testing (seeing as there is no database for it) like we have for the EIC test.

If people could list dog name, parents and results that would be awesome.

WRL

#2 ·
Good idea, Lee.

#5 ·
My 2 are PRA normal/clear, but I don't have them listed on OFA. How do I get them listed.

Benton's Ria of Opus
Go West Mamma's Last Nerve.

#6 · (Edited)
Eromit's Cops Got My Gun JH ADC SGDC MGDC CRCNCL (AFC Cosmic Blue Genes x Ecstasy's Hells Angel SH)
PRA clear LR-PRA694/14M-VPI (Rd/OSD clear)

Eromit's Tennessee Trickshot SGDC CRNCL(FC HRCH Watermarks's Texas Welcome MH X Lockfive's April Foolya MH)
PRA clear LR-PRA697/14M-PI (RD/OSD clear)

Calumet's Red Baron of Mjolnir JH (FC AFC Calumet's Super Sonic x AFC FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir's Arwen Evenstar)
PRA clear LR-PRA695/28M-VPI (RD/OSD clear)

Bit of Shine Engl AGDC (FC FTCH AFTCH Taylorslab Magic Trick MH CD x Spider's Sunshine AADC MSDC MSCDC)
PRA Carrier LR-PRA691/85F-VPI-CAR (RD/OSD Clear)

Magic's Manna Engl (FC FTCH AFTCH Taylorslab Magic Trick MH CD x Spider's Sunshine AADC MSDC MSCDC)
PRA Carrier LR-PRA693/85F-VPI-CAR (RD/OSD Clear)

Eromit's Xtrema Retrieva SGDC (2xNMH GMH OTCH Prairiestorm Hawk MH WCX x Bit Of Shine Engl AGDC)
PRA Clear LR-PRA698/21F-PI (RD/OSD clear by parentage)

Eromit's Kimber Surprise (2xNMH GMH OTCH Prairiestorm Hawk MH WCX x Bit Of Shine Engl AGDC)
PRA Clear LR-PRA699/21F-PI (RD/OSD clear by parentage)

Eromit Casper's Shadow JH WC QFTR -(Eromit's Cops Got My Gun SGDC x Brown's Chocolate Pride)
prcd-PRA Clear (Optigen Accession #: 12-324)

Eromit's Olympic Fever JH WC - (2xNMH GMH OTCH Prairiestorm Hawk MH WCX x Bit of Shine Engl AGDC)
prcd-PRA Carrier (Optigen Accession #: 12-322)

Eromit Bust A Move (Eromit's Cops Got My Gun SGDC x Brown's Chocolate Pride)
prcd-PRA Clear Optigen Accession: #13-7000

Eromit's Lockfive Need For Speed CRNCL SGDC (FC HRCH Watermark's Texas Welcome MH x Lock Five's April Foolya MH)
prcd-PRA Clear Optigen Accession: #13-7001

Eromit's Quick on the Draw CRNCL (Calumet's Red Baron of Mjlonir JH x Eromit Bust A Move)
prcd-PRA Clear Optigen Accession: #13-7002

Eromit's Full Metal Jacket (Eromit's Tennessee Trickshot SGDC CRNCL x Bit of Shine Engl AGDC)
prcd-PRA Carrier Optigen Accession:14-5199

Eromit's Black Widow (Eromit's Cops Got My Gun JH ADC SGDC MGDC CRNCL x Magic's Manna Engl)
prcd-PRA Carrier Optigen Accession 14-5198

#7 ·
#10 ·
I sent in my dog's PRA results with the fee to OFA almost 6 weeks ago and its still not up on the website yet.

HRCH Ellie Mae of Bracken Fen MH (PRA Clear)

(Black Drew of Eastdale x Kate Spade)
Just email OFA and ask them to verify receipt of your results. It normally doesn't take that long.

#12 · (Edited)
I was told that you can not mix and match - but if you submit 5 of the same type of test you will get the kennel discount. I inquired about that specifically a few months ago. I would be happy to hear that they have changed their minds on that.

#14 · (Edited)
#17 ·
I would really like to know about stud dogs who have been PRA tested. This thread as a sticky would be a nice place to start such a search :)

#19 ·
Question about who's more affected by PRA - mostly field labs, or is it showing up in the conformation lines as well? This is the case in goldens, mostly in field lines.

The reason I ask, is that NORCAL GRC is considering offering a 'clinic' to test for PRA and Pigmentary Uveitis to save costs for the owners by taking advantage of group submissions.

PU is now a big thing in conformation lines, but I haven't been following the discussions closely enough to know how much it is showing up in field lines.

If we offered a clinic at our Specialty and the subsequent weekend of shows, few field people would be there, but the conformation lab people and other breeds would be able to take advantage of this service.

Please let me know what you all are aware of, so I can advise the rest of the NORCAL Board on this matter of how well it would serve the labs as well. The local lab club (GGLRC) also has a Specialty (and a large entry) on this same weekend, Del Valle KC in October.

Debbie Tandoc
NORCAL GRC Field VP

G
#21 ·
Question about who's more affected by PRA - mostly field labs, or is it showing up in the conformation lines as well? This is the case in goldens, mostly in field lines.

The reason I ask, is that NORCAL GRC is considering offering a 'clinic' to test for PRA and Pigmentary Uveitis to save costs for the owners by taking advantage of group submissions.

PU is now a big thing in conformation lines, but I haven't been following the discussions closely enough to know how much it is showing up in field lines.
Debbie,

There are now thought to be at least two, maybe three, forms of PRA. The form that is showing up in the field lines is prcd-PRA though even with all the Carriers that have shown up since the DNA test became available and thus the numerous breedings that must have done in the past between Carrier x Carrier (and worse) with such a small number of dogs showing clinical signs (I believe we are up to 3 total), there is some question as to how serious of an issue this really is.

Regarding holding a clinic, I am certainly all for it. There are two ways this can be done. If you are looking for dogs who have clinical signs (this is especially important for pigmentary uveitis where early detection can make treatment much more successful and hopefully spare dogs great pain), there would need to be an opthalmologist physically doing exams because there is still not a DNA test for PU. While it would be wonderful for signs of PU to be detected in its early stage, we are still not able to distinguish which dogs are Carriers of the gene.

To answer your question about PU in the field lines, we are not seeing it. Supposedly there are 2 dogs from "field lines" that do have PU but names are not being discussed. I'm pretty sure I know who one of them is and have been told that he had/has Uveitis, not pigmentary, which is a totally different eye disease. From what I understand, his is suspected to be a result of a tick borne disease. And the other from field lines, well I'll believe it when I see it and who knows what the pedigree looks like and what is being called field lines.

If it is an Optigen clinic NORCAL is considering, blood could be drawn for the prcd-PRA test and/or the new DNA test for GR_PRA1, the cause of the majority of PRA in the Golden Retriever. This is also much more prevalent in the conformation lines.

Sorry to hijack folks, but I guess it's not an official hijack since we stayed on topic. :wink:

Debbie, contact me if you need more info and/or help.

#20 · (Edited)
HRCH Rocky Mountain Rosco SH..... Clear
HRCH Satins Jumpin Jedi SH ....... Clear
HRCH APR Lady Satin of Black Forest JH.... Clear
HR 4X GMPR KBs Snakey Jake of Poudre River SH....Carrier
HR KBs Chelsea Snow Angel JH.....Clear
HR MPR KBs Its Showtime of Bearpoint Star JH....Carrier
HRCH KBs Loaded to go Allie JH.......Clear
HR CP KBs Blazin White Thunder JH.... Clear

#27 · (Edited)
#28 ·
#29 ·
Debbie wrote:
Deb, as a Golden club, you can consider doing a "mass collection" for the OFA DNA repository. For Goldens, GRF will provide collection supplies (tubes, syringes, etc) & GRF pays the $20 fee to OFA for all Golden participants. Club provides vet tech & shipping. Our GRC offered this service free to participants ... the club absorbed costs of vet tech & shipping.

Labs could donate to OFA, too, but they will have to pay their own costs.

The value of the OFA repository: Owners can withdraw a DNA sample in the future if a new DNA test becomes available. Meanwhile the DNA is also available to researchers. With Goldens, the GRCA determines which research studies will be able to withdraw DNA samples. Blood is better for this than swabs since more DNA material is yielded from blood samples.

There is no "storage fee", just the initial $20 fee for putting the sample into the repository. OFA then issues you a certificate with the dog's DNA ID #.

It would be wonderful if LRC could start some sort of program like the one GRF provides. Meanwhile, interested Lab owners could take advantage of such clinics when they are offered by Golden clubs (even though they will have to pay their own fees). Lab or field trial clubs could offer this at their annual health clinics or club events. Our rather small Golden club (37 members) collected 83 samples in January at our annual eye/heart clinic. I think that there are probably at least 30 Golden clubs in the country (haven't counted!) which could mean about 2500 samples a year going into the DNA repository.

If we register 30,000 Goldens in a year, 2500 samples is close to 10% ... but WRT the responsible breeders' population, the %-age would actually be higher since many of the AKC registrations are not from those breeders.

I believe that Goldens now have the largest DNA repository, and were the first breed to have DNA withdrawn for research.

Since Labs are an even larger breed in #s, this could be good preparation for any genetic disease that should become evident in the future, and for research that can lead to DNA tests for some diseases that we already know about ... for example, the RD forms in Labs that do not yet have DNA tests available.

G
#35 ·
LOL! Have to agree with Lee on that.

Won't matter if the pup is PRA & RD clear if the hips or elbows don't turn out. So, it makes great sense to do the hips/elbows first, then move onto the DNA testing. If the hips/elbows don't turn out, you'll never need to do the DNA tests for breeding purposes.

Since the eye diseases don't usually begin to have effect until later than 2 years of age, if the pup is really look promising in training, then you might want to make sure he is not affected with any eye disease that might interfere with his training as he moves forward. Again, since you won't know that for a while until he begins some serious training. Since "carriers" do not manifest the disease, and can still be bred, unless you have some reason to think your pup might be "affected", spending the money for these tests early in life is not cost-effective.

OTOH, EIC might be something that would impact the pup early on, so that might be one of the tests that you might want to do earlier. Same for CNM. If you can find out now that a pup is physically unsuited for a heavy working schedule, then it makes sense to get these answers early.
Since it's already gone off topic, Gerry, have any other Goldens been reported as having gone blind from prcd-PRA?

#40 ·
Since it's already gone off topic, Gerry, have any other Goldens been reported as having gone blind from prcd-PRA?
A few have been collected to the point they couldn't see a feed bowl at their feet.....

/Paul

#34 ·
Ditto Gerry. This pup's sire is EIC/CNM clear so that's not even an issue yet. Do CERF, then OFA then worry about the genetic tests that pertain to breeding only. I wouldn't spend hundreds doing genetic tests on a pup if I was confident they weren't affected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.