RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

PRA testing for Labs

1M views 178 replies 83 participants last post by  mwk56 
#1 ·
I'd like to start a thread on PRA testing (seeing as there is no database for it) like we have for the EIC test.

If people could list dog name, parents and results that would be awesome.

WRL

#39 ·
I don't even send the papers in anymore until I know they are a keeper. I don't know what the rush is to find a name for the papers before you even get a puppy. Why waste the name, that is, if it's a good one.

#49 · (Edited)
Chas,

Your question was answered a week ago on another thread. I posted the website for you on that thread.

Hey, if you want to spend $400-500 BEFORE he even gets old enough for OFA pre-lims then go for it.

I would RECOMMEND the CERF exam right away and then worry about him being a CARRIER for other stuff later. Because EVEN IF he is clear on everything, if his hips or elbows are bad, it won't matter if he is a carrier.

WRL

#46 ·
PRA is like $200 unless you get it done on sale. I would just do CERF at this time because PRA carriers can still be bred to clears and you need to worry about hips and elbows passing. Why spend money when you don't know if the dog is even going to be breeding material. How many pups have you sold in the last couple of years before they are even ready to do the other certs? CERF is the cheapest cert and can be done right away

#59 ·
The tests are much cheaper done at a "20/20 Clinic" and when you do more than one test, at such clinics you get a 45% discount on each test! We have had Labs participate in the past doing the RD and prcd-PRA tests. That brings the cost of the prcd-PRA test (usually $195) to just a bit over $100. The RD/OS test normally $160, comes out at just under $100. Using the clinic is close to getting a "two-fer".

Anyone in the Atlanta area can take advantage of this at the GRCA National Specialty clinic! We can take all breeds for our DNA-testing clinic. And the blood draw and shipping are also free at the GRCA clinic. (Breeds other than Goldens can NOT be sent direct to Optigen & get the clinic discount ... however, there is a convoluted way to do that. If interested, contact me direct at G.Clinchy@Gmail.com).

If you are interested in sending a DNA sample to the OFA DNA repository, this can also be done. For this, you will have to pay a $20 fee to OFA. The fee for Goldens is paid by The Golden Retriever Foundation.

Blood draws will be done at the Fied Trial Welcome Banquet and for 2 days at the show site, between 10 AM - 3 PM. You can find more detailed information on this on the RTF "Event Forum".

Like WRL, I don't do the DNA testing until AFTER hips and elbows. I do physical eye exams and heart exams earlier when clinics are available.

#56 ·
Pleasant Pine;s Hidden Treasure, SH, WCX
Optigen A - PRA clear

FC/AFC Land Ahoy x Peakebrooke's Tiger's Eye, QAA

#58 ·
I have a website for Chessies that includes a pedigree database. The pedigrees include all health clearances, including ones like PRA, EIC, etc. One can search the database and get a list of all dogs with EIC clearances, for instance, or an OFA number, or a particular title. The list of names then has links off it to pedigrees, litters, half-sibs, and so forth.

Would a database of this type be of interest to other retriever breeds? I am thinking about including similar databases for other retriever breeds to the site and broadening the audience somewhat, as the informational pages apply to almost all breeds, but retrievers, especially.

Informational pages cover basic genetic principles, individual pages for health topics, links and forms for obtaining health clearances, and so forth. Still, I think most people use the site just for the database, lol!

Lisa

#60 ·
I have a website for Chessies that includes a pedigree database. The pedigrees include all health clearances, including ones like PRA, EIC, etc. One can search the database and get a list of all dogs with EIC clearances, for instance, or an OFA number, or a particular title. The list of names then has links off it to pedigrees, litters, half-sibs, and so forth.

Would a database of this type be of interest to other retriever breeds? I am thinking about including similar databases for other retriever breeds to the site and broadening the audience somewhat, as the informational pages apply to almost all breeds, but retrievers, especially.

Lisa, this sounds like a great database! Golden people are pretty addicted to www.k9data.com. The problem is that it was not meant to be a health database, so one cannot search by health clearances.

There is now a database for Golden DNA testing, www.GoldenDNA.org, which is free for listing results or using. Unfortunately, for prcd-PRA, for example, we only have about 1/3 of the dogs tested who are listed there. The owners of the dogs tested must take the initiative to publish the results, since Optigen will not do so.

Informational pages cover basic genetic principles, individual pages for health topics, links and forms for obtaining health clearances, and so forth. Still, I think most people use the site just for the database, lol!

Lisa
I urge all Golden owners who have done DNA testing on their dogs to visit www.GoldenDNA.org and take advantage of the free service of recording their dogs' DNA test results. Listings are welcome for ALL DNA tests available for Goldens: prcd-PRA, GR_PRA1, and Ichthyosis.

#61 ·
Just a reminder about the 20/20 clinic at the GRCA National Specialty in GA. there are field trials just before & just after the GRCA Goldens only trial, which runs Mon, Tues, & Wed.

DNA testing will take place just before the Field Trial Welcome banquet on Monday night, 9/26.

All breeds can participate in the clinic. Blood draws & shipping are at no charge.

You order your tests online in advance & bring your order form with you to be included in the shipment.

No specific appointment is needed, HOWEVER you do need to contact me to get on the Master list that goes with the shipment. Remember if you do both RD/OS and prcd-PRA you get a 45% discount on BOTH tests.

Just email me directly ... easier for me than PMs!
G.Clinchy@gmail.com

#63 ·
Rick's Rooster Smasher of DRL, PRA Normal/Clear

#64 ·
September 21, 2011 through October 02, 2011 - Fall Discount Days
OptiGen's Fall Discount Days promotion....online entries need to be made during this week using the code pups11.

#73 ·
Optigen having another savings:

http://www.optigen.com/opt11_calendar.taf

January 02, 2012 through January 16, 2012 - Winter Discount Days
OptiGen will be offering our Winter Discount Days for online entries starting January 2nd through January 16th. Entries need to be made during that time using the code Happy2012 for the maximum discount of 25%. Clients will have up to 30 days from the date of their online request to get samples to OptiGen for testing. For more information, please contact Becky at 607-257-0301 or email genetest@optigen.com. Happy New Year!

This is a great time to get your dogs tested.
Pattie

#74 ·
Thanks for posting Pattie, I was just going to ask if anyone had the scoop on 'sale days'. Perfect timing :)

#76 ·
It is a simple DNA test and can be done at any age. You send in a cheek swab or blood sample to Optigen, and they send you back the result, usually within a week or two. www.optigen.com

#77 ·
I did my new pup at 4 months age, and his CERF was right after the PRA results

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.