RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

PRA testing for Labs

1M views 178 replies 83 participants last post by  mwk56 
#1 ·
I'd like to start a thread on PRA testing (seeing as there is no database for it) like we have for the EIC test.

If people could list dog name, parents and results that would be awesome.

WRL

#79 ·
You do not need a "kit" to submit to Optigen. Sterile swabs must be used for swab submissions. Those are available in many locations like vets, human doctors, human pharmacies, human hospitals. Same for blood samples. Tube is a "standard" one used by vets for a lot of other testing.

You just fill out the order form online; pay by credit card ... and send off your sample to them.

Discount days coming up Jan. 2-16 ... 20% discount on all tests; and additional 25% discount if you do more than one Optigen test. Labs have two ... prcd-PRA and RD/OS.

You must order your test during the discount days period. You have 30 days to get the sample to them.

Gerry

#81 ·
Mike, my vet charges $15 for the blood draw. Then it costs $5.25 to ship in the smallest Priority Mail Flat Rate Box. This is a good time to do the blood testing since no special precautions about the blood getting too warm during shipping.

We have also learned that Optigen has been storing DNA on all submissions ... until they run out of storage space. So, if next year there is a new DNA test for Labs they can do the new test; or send the DNA to whichever laboratory is doing the test. Saves you another trip to the vet.

Would also encourage Lab people to send DNA samples on all their dogs to OFA's CHIC DNA repository. Among Goldens, The Golden Retriever Foundation holds "clinics" at our National Specialties (and local clubs as well). The OFA has a $20 fee for this service, and GRF pays that fee for Goldens. As a result of these efforts, Goldens have the largest # of DNA samples preserved with OFA. It could eventually mean a "head start" on DNA research for future genetic problems. The program has been well-supported by Golden people across the Board.

Many advantages to this: OFA releases this DNA to researchers who may be developing new DNA tests. Also, this DNA can also be "withdrawn" by an owner (or his legal assigns later) if new DNA tests become available. As far as I know there is no time limit on how long OFA will store this DNA. Such DNA storage could ultimately be of use in finding the DNA tests for those forms of PRA (as an example) for which there is no test yet.

Perhaps there is some Labrador "entity" that could do the same for Labs? Something like our Golden clinics could be held at things like the National Am, National Open, Master National?

#85 ·
#86 ·
HRCH CPR Wind River SST MH (MPR Rattlinridge's Bronco Bill MH X Stoneridge's Ms. Abrakadabra MH) PRA Clear/Normal

#89 ·
Fenloch Ffynongain Stout "Finn" - Carrier PRA, RD/OSD Clear
Fenloch Downton Abbey "Abbey" - Carrier PRA, RD/OSD Clear
(Levenghyl Ffynongain Jackson of Willinghurst (clear)"Todd" ex. SHR Firehouses Brit Bucket Brigade (carrier) "Molly" )

Firehouselabs Money To Burn "Dollar" - Clear PRA, RD/OSD Clear (FC AFC CAFC Money Talks II ex River Creek's Foxy Paige)

Firehouselabs Whitewater Res-Q "Fish" - Clear PRA, RD/OSD Clear (FC Fish River's Out Of The Park ex Taylorslab Fear This QAA)

#90 ·
Optigen is having another sale in May.
http://www.optigen.com/opt11_calendar.taf

May 07, 2012 through May 20, 2012 - Spring Discount Days
OptiGen will be offering our Spring Discount Days for online entries starting May 7th through May 20th. Entries need to be made during that time using the code maydays12 for the maximum discount of 25%. Clients will have up to 30 days from the date of their online request to get samples to OptiGen for testing. For more information, please contact Becky at 607-257-0301 or email genetest@optigen.com. Happy Spring!

Pattie

#91 ·
#92 ·
You can add your dog to the OFA website by sending their application for genetic tests in with a copy of the results. Of course there is a small fee, last time I sent them in it was just $10 and that is not bad. I do this with PRA, RD/OSD, Narcolepsy, CNM and EIC; that way there is a definite way for anyone interested can check the database and see all the health clearances in one place.

#93 ·
Four Rivers Trupoint Express - prcd-PRA Normal/Clear - Optigen Accession #12-4143

Sire: QAA CPR Shoal Creeks Stormin' Norman MH (GMPR MHR Riks Risky Raider X Lady Chasity of Windy Hill SH (out of CNFC Call Me Mr Independence))
Dam: CPR TPK's Top Notch Tracer (GMPR Cashzinger's Cattail Corky X CPR HPK's Gypsy Woman)

#94 ·
August 18, 2012 through September 04, 2012 - SUMMER DISCOUNT DAYS (OPEN TO ALL!)
OptiGen will be offering our Summer Discount Days for online entries starting August 18th through September 3rd. Entries need to be made during that time using the code SPLASH812 for the maximum discount of 25%. Clients will have up to 30 days from the date of their online request to get samples to OptiGen for testing. For more information, please contact Becky at 607-257-0301 or email genetest@optigen.com.

#95 ·
That is how I did my testing. I used one of the clinic codes. It sure saved a lot of money.

#98 ·
#99 ·
Another sales coming up.

January 04, 2013 through January 14, 2013 - Winter Discount Days 2013
OptiGen will be offering our Winter Discount Days for online entries starting January 4th-January 14th. Entries need to be made during that time using the code happy2013 for the maximum discount of 25%. Clients will have up to 30 days from the date of their online request to get samples to OptiGen for testing. For more information, please contact Becky or Darlene at 607-257-0301 or email genetest@optigen.com or darlene@optigen.com. Have a Happy Holiday and a Happy New Year!

Breed: ALL BREEDS
Email: genetest@optigen.com
Phone: 607 257 0301

Pattie

#101 ·
Hi

Discount days advertised again.
September 23, 2013 through October 07, 2013 - September Discount Days
Discount Days are back! Enter requests online between the 23rd of September through the 7th of October using the code Dogdays913 for a total of 25% off the cost of testing. This code is valid for online entry this timeframe only, however you may take up to 30 days from the date of entry to get your shipments to OptiGen. For more information please contact our office at

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office.
Breed: All Breeds
Email:

genetest@optigen.com
Phone: 607 257 0301

Pattie

#102 · (Edited)
#104 · (Edited)
Rainmaker's Southern Gamble "Wager", (Grady x Kaney Bayou Perfect Ten, MH) PRA normal. RD/OSD normal.

#105 ·
Folks I have experienced the heartbreak of a dog with PRA. I can say you must check the parents. I invested 2.5 years in a dog, Buster, and got him thru Juniors, Seniors and 3 passes of the MH and I started noticing he was having problems that I felt were behavioral. At fisrt I didn't understand what was going on but as time wore on I began to realize he was having some trouble seeing. I took him to a vet that specialized in eyes and she said she could definitely see something in his eyes and said he definitely was having severe trouble seeing. This was quite a shock to me but then I immediately understood the problems I was having with him. All the issues became clear. We did a blood test and the test results came back negative with the statement that he was a carrier of the PRA gene. I am sure that the negative result was incorrect. I guess even an infallible test gets it wrong some percentage because I know they got it wrong. He is mostly blind now and continues to get progressively blinder. He can see fairly reliably out maybe 10 yards...I think. At times he bumps into things, mostly in low light sitations. His hunt test career has been over since this problem came up. Man what a nice dog he was until this came up. Passed every test he ran and was running and passing his 3rd master series by the time he was 2. Some people might have put him down knowing his prognosis. I did not. I have been through several dogs that I took to the master level of hunt tests yet he still remains my favorite, He sleeps in the bed most times and goes everywhere with me.

With this all being said I recommend everyone to demand a negative PRA test and CERF on any pup they will be getting if you don't want your hard time wasted and your heart broke.

#106 ·
So sorry about your dog. Did the opthomologist say it was PRA when looking at his eyes? If so, you could likely call the testing lab (Optigen I'm assuming) and have him retested (at no additional cost), given the info from the doctor. Make sure you chose the correct type of PRA to test for. The prcd type is the most common type in Labs, and the one generally tested for. Labs can however be affected by other types of PRA, but from what I've read it's pretty rare. Carriers of any type should have no symptoms and can be bred, but only to a dog tested clear/non-carrier.

#108 ·
I am not sure that she ( DR. Morgan, Knoxville, TN) knew for sure exactly what was wrong. She stated she knew some gray matter was back in there (whatever that means) and she wanted to do a blood test for PRA. Yes she is a canine opthamologist. I have seen her since getting my other dogs checked and CERFed. She has asked me to bring him back to look at him but it is a 3 hour drive and I see no reason to take him back. The prognosis will not change.

Buster is now 7. He barely sees but uses his other senses very keenly. I have noticed his irises seem to bee a yellowish brown color. The pupils seem to remain the same size most times, raely dialated or contracted, and one pupil will often not match the other. Not like any of the other dogs. He does not move his eyes much and I know he does not see very far.

He will still retrieve a mark from as far as 40 or 50 yards if he hears the bird boy he looks at him but never (even if the bird boy is at 10 yards) follows the bird thrown. But he will swing his head when he hears the bird or bumper hit. I dove hunted him this past season and he did fine. He doesn't retrieve as promptly as any of my master hunters but he can dig a bird out in deep cover as good or better than any of them. Sometimes I have to whistle to remind him where I am when he is on his way back.

It is sometimes pretty hard to tell he is blind. I had a friend tell me that he thinks the dog sees just fine.

He relies on his other senses to take up where his eyesight falls off.

He's happy and treated pretty decent now that he's retired. In fact as I write this he is laying in the living room by the fire. I like to tell people he is happy because he doesn't know he's not supposed to be blind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.