The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: PATRIOT Act Authorization Fails

Default PATRIOT Act Authorization Fails

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/20...ts-patriot-act

The GOP expected little trouble with the bill. So Republicans brought the Patriot Act to the floor under a special procedure that requires a two-thirds vote for passage. It's a maneuver that's typically reserved for non-controversial legislation or bills that carry wide support.
    "Look at the ‘Don't Tread on Me flag.' It doesn't say don't tread on me, but it's okay if you spy," said Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH), one of the most ardent opponents of the Patriot Act. "What the Republican leadership didn't count on is that they have some new members who are freshmen who are conservative, libertarian, who really do believe in civil liberties."

But despite the misstep, Republicans blamed Democrats for the defeat.

"I am surprised that so many Democrats who supported an extension of these very same provisions last Congress suddenly changed their votes," said House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith (R-TX). "President Obama supports a reauthorization of these important national security tools."
    Under most circumstances, House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) is charged with ensuring that his party has the votes to pass a bill. But it's rare for the whip to twist arms on a measure handled like this one on the floor because it's usually a fait accompli.
    "Today, Democrats in Congress voted to deny their own administration's request for key weapons in the war on terror," said McCarthy spokeswoman Erica Elliott

http://www.idahoreporter.com/2011/la...f-patriot-act/
    Idaho Rep. Raul Labrador was one of 26 Republicans to vote against extending some provisions in the Patriot Act... “While I agree that law enforcement and national security agencies need the tools necessary to keep America safe from terrorism, when crafting policy we need to be sure we are not infringing upon the protections and freedoms guaranteed in the Constitution,” Labrador said in a prepared statement.

Not too often that I agree with Kucinich and strange that he would bring up the Gadsden flag, but in this case.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/20...ts-patriot-act

The GOP expected little trouble with the bill. So Republicans brought the Patriot Act to the floor under a special procedure that requires a two-thirds vote for passage. It's a maneuver that's typically reserved for non-controversial legislation or bills that carry wide support.
    "Look at the ‘Don't Tread on Me flag.' It doesn't say don't tread on me, but it's okay if you spy," said Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH), one of the most ardent opponents of the Patriot Act. "What the Republican leadership didn't count on is that they have some new members who are freshmen who are conservative, libertarian, who really do believe in civil liberties."

But despite the misstep, Republicans blamed Democrats for the defeat.

"I am surprised that so many Democrats who supported an extension of these very same provisions last Congress suddenly changed their votes," said House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith (R-TX). "President Obama supports a reauthorization of these important national security tools."
    Under most circumstances, House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) is charged with ensuring that his party has the votes to pass a bill. But it's rare for the whip to twist arms on a measure handled like this one on the floor because it's usually a fait accompli.
    "Today, Democrats in Congress voted to deny their own administration's request for key weapons in the war on terror," said McCarthy spokeswoman Erica Elliott

http://www.idahoreporter.com/2011/la...f-patriot-act/
    Idaho Rep. Raul Labrador was one of 26 Republicans to vote against extending some provisions in the Patriot Act... “While I agree that law enforcement and national security agencies need the tools necessary to keep America safe from terrorism, when crafting policy we need to be sure we are not infringing upon the protections and freedoms guaranteed in the Constitution,” Labrador said in a prepared statement.

Not too often that I agree with Kucinich and strange that he would bring up the Gadsden flag, but in this case.
    Anyone else think it is more than a little ironic that the main arm twister on trying to get this bill passed is named McCarthy?

I think I could learn to like your Idaho Congressman. Besides his great quote that you put in bold, you gotta like a politician named Labrador

Yeah, pretty ballsy for a freshman rep.
    But then his predecessor, Walt Minnick D -1st, did much the same against the Obama agenda.
    I already sent a "thank you, keep up the good work" e-mail though he's got some other views that I'll probably sending a slightly different message about in the future.
    But for now and this, it's good, imo.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Banned

Don't you think the Republicans should have checked with their own party to see how they would vote first?

Among the 26 Republicans against the extension were seven freshman lawmakers backed by the Tea Party movement, whose members have said the Patriot Act intrudes on every-day life, NBC News reported. They are David Schweikert of Arizona, Tom Graves of Georgia, Raul Labrador of Idaho, Randy Hultgren and Bobby Schilling of Illinois, Justin Amash of Michigan and Christopher Gibson of New York. An eighth first-term Republican, Michael Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania, joined them.
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 02-09-2011 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    Don't the Republicans should have checked with their own voters first?
    I would attempt to answer your question, but I have no idea what the hell you just said.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    I would attempt to answer your question, but I have no idea what the hell you just said.
    I ammended my post. Does that make any clearer for you? Brian knows what I said, he has had plenty of experience interpeting what Palin says.

Maybe a better question would be:
    Why did the Rep leadership assume that the Tea Party candidates, now elected, would "rubber stamp" an extension of big, intrusive federal government?

Especially considering that PBO was for this.

PS Actually the experience came from interprteing someone else whose last name begins with "P" but...
    Last edited by BrianW; 02-09-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: added PS

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    I ammended my post. Does that make any clearer for you? Brian knows what I said, he has had plenty of experience interpeting what Palin says.

NO..........

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    I think I could learn to like your Idaho Congressman. Besides his great quote that you put in bold, you gotta like a politician named Labrador
    Here, here!

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Anyone else think it is more than a little ironic that the main arm twister on trying to get this bill passed is named McCarthy?

They should pin a metal on the guy. Finally a Republican that walks the walk for individual freedom! Thanks Rep. Labrador!
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!