Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Egypt's Mubarak to step down

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    as long as he controls the military, he controls the country
    Once again, you have nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Comes out and flips the proverbial bird at the protesters.

A blatant attempt to incite the crowds ...?

That's how it appears to me. We'll see...
    Actually, from here it looks like he "bitch slapped" Obama.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12427091
    "The big shame and embarrassment, which I have not done and never will do, would be listening to foreign dictations whatever may be the source or pretext"
    "I faced death many times as a pilot, in Addis Ababa, and numerous other times. I never succumbed to foreign pressure or dictations."

We will prove that we are no-one's servants, that we do not take instructions from anyone, and that only the demands of the citizens and the pulse of the street take our decisions.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall as PBO was hearing that translated.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Actually, from here it looks like he "bitch slapped" Obama.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12427091
    "The big shame and embarrassment, which I have not done and never will do, would be listening to foreign dictations whatever may be the source or pretext"
    "I faced death many times as a pilot, in Addis Ababa, and numerous other times. I never succumbed to foreign pressure or dictations."

We will prove that we are no-one's servants, that we do not take instructions from anyone, and that only the demands of the citizens and the pulse of the street take our decisions.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall as PBO was hearing that translated.

That's the way you see it, because from your point of view everything revolves around Obama.

What he's trying to do is legitimize the protesters by trying to tie their actions to foreign influence. They did the same thing in Iran when young Iranians were protesting the elections there not too long ago. It's classic operating procedure. But sure, if you want to put it all on Obama to try and make him look bad, good on you I guess.

As long as the protesters stay peaceful it will be tough to justify going in and brutally breaking things up. If he trows enough gas on the fire to get the protesters in a full fledged riot he can say they backed him into the corner and he had to do something to stop the violence.
    Last edited by Buzz; 02-11-2011 at 08:12 AM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Losing patience, Obama challenges Egypt's leaders

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110211/...us/us_us_egypt

WASHINGTON Showing deepening dismay, President Barack Obama is questioning whether Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak's promised transfer of power has any credibility or meaning. As a defiant Mubarak stayed in office, Obama challenged the autocratic Egyptian government to explain its path toward democracy to its people and the world.
    Without naming Mubarak directly, Obama issued a written statement on Thursday night in which he criticized the leader for a lack of clarity and direction.

In ref to the BBC link in my previous post, I have to wonder if PBO actually listened to/read Mubarak's speech. .
    I think it was much clearer & more directed than Obama's last major speech to our country.
    "From now to next September, day after day, we'll see the peaceful transition of power". Definitive timetable.
    In addition to his "setting up of a constitutional committee that will look into the required amendments of the constitution and the needed legislative reforms".Mubarak also proposed "the setting up of a follow-up committee expected to follow up the sincere implementation of the promises that I have made before the people." I have made sure that the composition of the two committees is made of Egyptian figures that are known for their independence and experience, experts in constitutional law and judges.
    And addressed the fundamental need to -
    ("These top-priority amendments aim to) ease the conditions for presidential nominations, and the fixing of limited terms of presidency to ensure the rotation of power, and the strengthening of the regulations of elections oversight to guarantee their freedom and fairness." How much more "direct" can Mubarak be?

This, imo, is the true "community organizer" showing through in Obama, not Presidential statesmanship. "I want it MY way & I want it NOW!".
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

hmmmm.....i seem to remember Egypt taking a little "dictation" from Israel when i was a young'un......

lot's of bluster and hot air. his goose is cooked. it's just a matter of when they remove him from the oven, now.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    hmmmm.....i seem to remember Egypt taking a little "dictation" from Israel when i was a young'un......

lot's of bluster and hot air. his goose is cooked. it's just a matter of when they remove him from the oven, now.-Paul
    Yes, but that dictation had more force behind it than just hot air...
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Yes, but that dictation had more force behind it than just hot air...
    things are reaching the boiling point over there. in my opinion, there will be wide spread bloodshed on a large scale if he trys to stick to that timetable.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    That's the way you see it, because from your point of view everything revolves around Obama.

What he's trying to do is legitimize the protesters by trying to tie their actions to foreign influence. They did the same thing in Iran when young Iranians were protesting the elections there not too long ago. It's classic operating procedure. But sure, if you want to put it all on Obama to try and make him look bad, good on you I guess.

As long as the protesters stay peaceful it will be tough to justify going in and brutally breaking things up. If he trows enough gas on the fire to get the protesters in a full fledged riot he can say they backed him into the corner and he had to do something to stop the violence.
    I believe, that from Obama's point of view "everything revolves around Obama."

I'm unclear who the "he" is you refer to in the beginning of the 2nd paragraph - Mubarak? If so don't you mean de-legitimize?

PBO as leader of the powerful country in the world, has called for Mubarak's immediate resignation. Mubarak said "NO! I'm not going anywhere." If you don't see that as a slap at Obama, then "good on you", I guess.
    Joel Rubin, a former State Dept official under President George W. Bush, said Mubarak was directly referring to the United States on Thursday when he said he would not be pushed out by foreign powers.
    "He's daring them," said Rubin, deputy director at the Washington-based National Security Network. "The White House will have a harder time messaging now because he's called their bluff."

As far as the last paragraph, I made my points in a previous post. Mubarak has proposed significant change as well as an orderly process, peaceful, procedure & definitive timetable. Now, it's back on the protesters, imo.
    Last edited by BrianW; 02-11-2011 at 08:43 AM. Reason: get rid of color code

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I believe, that from Obama's point of view "everything revolves around Obama."

I'm unclear who the "he" is you refer to in the beginning of the 2nd paragraph - Mubarak? If so don't you mean de-legitimize?
    Yes I was referring to Mubarak. I had stop and think about how to spell legitimize and forgot to put the de in front of it!
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)