The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Obama refers to himself as the gipper?

  1. #1
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,761

    Default Obama refers to himself as the gipper?

    Obama Refers To Himself As "The Gipper" In Farewell To Gibbs

    President Obama recounts an anecdote about the 2004 Democratic National Convention at White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs' final press briefing:

    "The most challenging problem was what tie to wear. And this went up to the very last minute. I mean, 10 minutes before we were about to go on stage we were still having an argument about ties. I had bought five, six ties. And Michelle didn't like any of them, Axelrod didn't like a couple of them -- him being one of the best dressed men in the world. So we really valued his opinion.

    "And then somebody -- I don't remember who it was -- turned and said, 'You know what? What about Gibbs' tie? What about Gibbs' tie? That might look good.' And, frankly, Robert didn't want to give it up because he thought he looked really good in the tie. But eventually he was willing to take one for the gipper, and so he took off his tie, and I put it on. And that's the tie that I wore at the national convention."



    The biggest fraud to ever step foot in the WH, much less be elected POTUS. This country knew Ronald Reagan...Ronald Reagan was our friend. Barack Obama is no Ronald Reagan. (with apologies to Lloyd Bentsen)
    Bill Davis

  2. #2
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,451

    Default

    I am just glad we wont have to watch Gibbs' smug attitude at WH briefings anymore
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  3. #3
    Senior Member precisionlabradors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    st anthony idaho
    Posts
    584

    Default

    i think it was just a figure of speech.....and misused at that. it's win one for the gipper....not take one for the gipper. it's take one for the team. anyway.....
    Last edited by precisionlabradors; 02-11-2011 at 06:31 PM.
    find me on the web

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post


    But eventually he was willing to take one for the gYpper,


    The biggest fraud to ever step foot in the WH, much less be elected POTUS. This country knew Ronald Reagan...Ronald Reagan was our friend. Barack Obama is no Ronald Reagan. (with apologies to Lloyd Bentsen)
    That works !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Obama Refers To Himself As "The Gipper" In Farewell To Gibbs

    President Obama recounts an anecdote about the 2004 Democratic National Convention at White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs' final press briefing:

    "The most challenging problem was what tie to wear. And this went up to the very last minute. I mean, 10 minutes before we were about to go on stage we were still having an argument about ties. I had bought five, six ties. And Michelle didn't like any of them, Axelrod didn't like a couple of them -- him being one of the best dressed men in the world. So we really valued his opinion.

    "And then somebody -- I don't remember who it was -- turned and said, 'You know what? What about Gibbs' tie? What about Gibbs' tie? That might look good.' And, frankly, Robert didn't want to give it up because he thought he looked really good in the tie. But eventually he was willing to take one for the gipper, and so he took off his tie, and I put it on. And that's the tie that I wore at the national convention."



    The biggest fraud to ever step foot in the WH, much less be elected POTUS. This country knew Ronald Reagan...Ronald Reagan was our friend. Barack Obama is no Ronald Reagan. (with apologies to Lloyd Bentsen)

    That's kind of harsh considering Reagan was not really the Gipper either. He only played George Gipp in a movie. I don't profess to speak for the whole country, but Ronald Reagan was no friend of mine.

  6. #6
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    That's kind of harsh considering Reagan was not really the Gipper either. He only played George Gipp in a movie. I don't profess to speak for the whole country, but Ronald Reagan was no friend of mine.
    Maybe you don't remember Lloyd Bentsen's famous quote, in his debate with Dan Quayle... That's what I was paraphrasing... Bentsen, by the way, was a Dem...
    Bill Davis

  7. #7
    Senior Member Steve Hester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    1,659

    Default

    Obama couldn't be a pimple on Reagan's butt.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •