The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chrissie Hynde & Faith Hill on CMT

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Jmtc, but I don't understand why success with a talent, be it singing, acting, writing or whatever gives some others the inclination to think their sociopolitical views are of extra special significance/importance.
    Ie "Well if George Clooney thinks that way about "x", it must be right because he has a talent for memorizing words"

But music & politics can be a powerful force for a cause/issue, though I would hedge that by saying maybe not a lasting force for change.
    eg Farm Aid, Live Aid, We Are The World, No Nukes, etc.
    Just like the rest of us, entertainers have a right to their opinions and political views, and they have a right to express them. Just because they are entertainers, it doesn’t mean they’re stupid, and their ideas are without merit. We get on this forum and express our opinions, they just have a larger audience. If you could present your views to a larger audience, wouldn’t you.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    Just like the rest of us, entertainers have a right to their opinions and political views, and they have a right to express them. Just because they are entertainers, it doesn’t mean they’re stupid, and their ideas are without merit. We get on this forum and express our opinions, they just have a larger audience. If you could present your views to a larger audience, wouldn’t you.
    Everyone has a right to express their opinion...no one has a right to be heard or listened to. Sort of like spitting into the wind...
    Bill Davis

The point you may have missed, is those of us expressing views don't have to worry that it might effect our income or lifestyle. Even if we had a larger audience to present our views to, they would hardly carry the weight these paragons of virtue hope to accomplish by their popularity.

Like I've always stated, and has been stated by any reasonable conservative, if a conservative doesn't appreciate something...a song on the radio, or a TV show...we turn it off. A liberal wants it banned.

It's never enough for the liberal 'pop' stars to get their oscars, they have to express their love of some communist dictator, and then expect their 'loving' followers to continue to embrace them as being intelligent. In their stupidity, they don't even know who their audience is.

Excellant case in point were those ignorant Dixie Chics. Who did they think their audience and followers were? Guess what! We were the rednecks that destroyed their product as fast as we could find it. Hope they are as popular as they think they are with their current 'admirers'. (that probably shouldn't be plural)

UB

PS I needed to edit this, so no one gets the idea I give a FRA about any of these celebrities losing their $$$ or followers. Couldn't care less! BUT...it's their whiney attitude that, in the case of the DC's, WE are causing their ruin. They are so completely void of intelligence, it makes you wonder how they had an audience to begin with.
    Last edited by Uncle Bill; 02-13-2011 at 12:28 PM.
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Yes and no...the media is a willing participant for actors and entertainers to put forth their political views, does John Q Public get the same equal air time, of course they dont...Danny Glover and Sean Penn playing BFF with Hugo Chavez in Venezuela is not news worthy...the media shows a VERY slanted version, do they ever show the conservative celebrities and some of their political causes, of course not, do they show the celebrity sporting clays shoots, or them hunting animals in the wild on Entertainment Tonight...but they do show some two bit actress wearing a PETA shirt saying its wrong to hunt...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Just like the rest of us, entertainers have a right to their opinions and political views, and they have a right to express them. Just because they are entertainers, it doesn’t mean they’re stupid, and their ideas are without merit. We get on this forum and express our opinions, they just have a larger audience

Never said they don't have the right to their views/presenting them or that they're stupid/lack merit.
    I questioned why others attach extra merit to their views simply because of their particular talent, which is totally unrelated. George Clooney is a good actor, imo. But should I/you consider his opinion on say, Darfur , particularly pertinent just because I liked Ocean's 11?

If you could present your views to a larger audience, wouldn’t you.
    I'm doing that here and now. I could give my views to the dogs all day long and they'd just wag their tails
    But it wouldn't make me think about my views/consider others' and hopefully cause others to do likewise.
    Last edited by BrianW; 02-13-2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling/clarity
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

It's a lot easier to be liberal with other people's money when you have plenty of your own. My guess is that before most of these entertainers, etc. became famous, they were more conservative in their thinking.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Everyone has a right to express their opinion...no one has a right to be heard or listened to. Sort of like spitting into the wind...
    You’re right. You don’t have to listen. Just turn them off. But, it seems like you’ve been listening because you know what they had to say. So, spitting into the wind must be effective at least some of the time.

Toby Keith spoke out against the Dixies chicks. Seems like he is doing just fine and the girls got hammerd by ther followers. Must suck to be them.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    The point you may have missed, is those of us expressing views don't have to worry that it might effect our income or lifestyle. Even if we had a larger audience to present our views to, they would hardly carry the weight these paragons of virtue hope to accomplish by their popularity.
    By the time most of them get the chance to express themselves in a national spotlight, they have probably made all of the money they need, so I’m not sure how much it really impacts them. Still, I admire a person that is willing to put themselves at risk to stand up for what they believe in. Even if I don’t like what they have to say, I respect their right to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    It's never enough for the liberal 'pop' stars to get their oscars, they have to express their love of some communist dictator, and then expect their 'loving' followers to continue to embrace them as being intelligent. In their stupidity, they don't even know who their audience is.

Excellant case in point were those ignorant Dixie Chics. Who did they think their audience and followers were? Guess what! We were the rednecks that destroyed their product as fast as we could find it. Hope they are as popular as they think they are with their current 'admirers'. (that probably shouldn't be plural)

PS I needed to edit this, so no one gets the idea I give a FRA about any of these celebrities losing their $$$ or followers. Couldn't care less! BUT...it's their whiney attitude that, in the case of the DC's, WE are causing their ruin. They are so completely void of intelligence, it makes you wonder how they had an audience to begin with.
    "As of 2009, they have won 13 Grammy Awards, with 5 of them earned in 2007 including the coveted Grammy Award for Album of the Year for Taking The Long Way. As of July 2010, with 30.5 million certified albums,[3] and sales of 26,733,000 albums in the U.S., they have become the top selling all-female band in the U.S. during the Nielsen SoundScan era."

It doesn’t look like they were hurt too bad for stating their opinion of Bush and the war. That one fan they have left must be buying a lot of music!
    Last edited by Blackstone; 02-13-2011 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Yes and no...the media is a willing participant for actors and entertainers to put forth their political views, does John Q Public get the same equal air time, of course they dont...Danny Glover and Sean Penn playing BFF with Hugo Chavez in Venezuela is not news worthy...the media shows a VERY slanted version, do they ever show the conservative celebrities and some of their political causes, of course not, do they show the celebrity sporting clays shoots, or them hunting animals in the wild on Entertainment Tonight...but they do show some two bit actress wearing a PETA shirt saying its wrong to hunt...
    The media shows us what we want to see. We are a society that craves sensationalism, so that’s what they give us. So many people are concerned with what celebrities think and do, even when it’s absolutely meaningless. The popularity of celebrity reality shows and the interest in self-made celebrities, like Paris Hilton & the Kardashians are proof of that. Media just goes where the dollars are.