The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Egypt - Be careful what you wish for?

Default Egypt - Be careful what you wish for?

So now that the military has taken over, parliament has been dissolved and the Constitution has been suspended - de facto martial law.
    Elections to be held in 6 months - maybe. The military defended the caretaker government, stocked with Mubarak loyalists, as necessary for now in the interests of "stability" amid the efforts to build a new system, as Egypt's upheaval has splintered into a host of smaller grievances.

On the other hand Mubarak had pledged elections in Sept and constitutional reforms through an independent commission, stepping down afterwatds.

Anyone else think this may be a case of "cutting off your just to spite your face"?
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

it's a lot like a dog finally catching the car, methinks.....-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    it's a lot like a dog finally catching the car, methinks.....-Paul
    Now that you've got it, what do you do with it?
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    So now that the military has taken over, parliament has been dissolved and the Constitution has been suspended - de facto martial law.
    Elections to be held in 6 months - maybe. The military defended the caretaker government, stocked with Mubarak loyalists, as necessary for now in the interests of "stability" amid the efforts to build a new system, as Egypt's upheaval has splintered into a host of smaller grievances.

On the other hand Mubarak had pledged elections in Sept and constitutional reforms through an independent commission, stepping down afterwatds.

Anyone else think this may be a case of "cutting off your just to spite your face"?
    I stand by my "wild card" comment.
    A representative (of all people) democracy will never happen.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Now that you've got it, what do you do with it?
    exactly! there's a cultural standard that goes with a democracy or republic that is totally foreign to them. before they can embrace democracy and have it work for them they need to make some basic changes in their culture. this is why, by and large, nation-building usually fails.

i wish them the best, but i am skeptical....-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I stand by my "wild card" comment.
    A representative (of all people) democracy will never happen.

RK
    A representative democracy in the middle east is nothing more than a convenient (no armed revolt) step to Islamic totalitarianism where there has never been a culture or exposure to anything but dictatorships by force. Iran holds elections and calls itself a democracy. Jordan elects a parliment, as do most middle east countries. The historic choices seem to be either secular dictator secured by a loyal & strong military or a move to "democracy" that ends in an Islamic theocracy. I'd love to see a true democracy but I don't think the region would know one if it was handed to them. Egypt has the best chance, given its western exposure & level of educated citizens.
    David Didier, GA

They're flingin' tear gas and rubber bullets in Bahrain today. It isn't just Egypt and democracy isn't the answer. QE has turned into QE2 and we'll go to QE3 then QE4 then QE5 then QEmillion as the Chairman of the Criminal Reserve along with his central banker friends across the globe sodomize the 'folk'.

Anybody seen the price of corn or sugar or wheat or cotton lately? I ain't no farmer but I can read a chart. The keynesians will tell you food inflation isn't their fault that there are other factors involved. The Ber-Nank wouldn't care anyway. He's all about printing. Screw the 'folk'. Let 'em eat fake, plastic rice. That should fill their bellies.

We live in Cuba now.

All we can do is wish them the best with changes to come. Hopefully, whatever government ends up in charge will be better than what they had, and hopefully friendly toward the U.S. as well.

I guess my question would be, what role, if any, should the US play in helping to establish a new government in Egypt?

Personally, I don't think we should play any role. Its not our baby, but I'm sure others will disagree.

I suspect that we'll be very passive, and hands off, as long as things are in flux, or headed towards a pro-American system. If anti-American forces start to gain control, I suspect we'll start to "play".
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    A representative democracy in the middle east is nothing more than a convenient (no armed revolt) step to Islamic totalitarianism where there has never been a culture or exposure to anything but dictatorships by force. Iran holds elections and calls itself a democracy. Jordan elects a parliment, as do most middle east countries. The historic choices seem to be either secular dictator secured by a loyal & strong military or a move to "democracy" that ends in an Islamic theocracy. I'd love to see a true democracy but I don't think the region would know one if it was handed to them. Egypt has the best chance, given its western exposure & level of educated citizens.
    There is your wild card!!!!!

They will allow a democracy as long as women and Jews aren't represented.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis