The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Egypt - Be careful what you wish for?

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    exactly! there's a cultural standard that goes with a democracy or republic that is totally foreign to them. before they can embrace democracy and have it work for them they need to make some basic changes in their culture. this is why, by and large, nation-building usually fails.

i wish them the best, but i am skeptical....-Paul
    This is a good point. When will America ever learn that democracy is a concept as foreign to other parts of the world as Martians would be. Is it ego, self-righteousness, or just plain ignorance on the part of the plicy makers??
    Last edited by Steve Hester; 02-14-2011 at 09:10 PM.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    So we just sit back & let the middle east countries where we secure 40%+ of our oil to turn us into a 3rd world country overnight? We hope but do nothing else? At the same time our government has banned/is banning/de-funding new drilling, new nuclear facilities, hydrogen power development, clean gas & coal development while it is estimated we have over a 100 yr supply of fossil fuels available to us within our borders laying untapped. Genius!
    I don't know how you jumped to such conclusions from such an innocuous statement. I was only wishing the people of that country well. I was not laying out a plan for some sort of action or inaction on our part, so I have no idea what you have your panties all in a wad about.

dang that was latin? i am almost certain one of my hispanic roofers called me one of those just this morning!

my wife is a nurse and works with "caring muslim physicians" and says, "you just don't know moderate muslims the way i do. i say, "yeah these are great guys they have been in my home and i am ok with them!"

i tell her "honey, the problem is when there is 51 of them and 49 of you, you are going to have a mulah for mayor, or councilman, or congressman and then president." time and time again when they finally get to vote for themselves, yassir is out and hamas and hezbolah comes in.

democracy isn't gonna help U.S. concerns in the middle east. yes even george bush was mistaken on that one. all it will do is put terrorists in elected positions.

i am with granddaddy! i wont be going to the arctic national wildlife refuge tomorrow, but i gotta stop at citgo before breakfast.

john mc

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    dang that was latin? i am almost certain one of my hispanic roofers called me one of those just this morning!
    Hey, times are tough. He probably roofs by day, and coaches HS debate by night...
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    I don't know how you jumped to such conclusions from such an innocuous statement. I was only wishing the people of that country well. I was not laying out a plan for some sort of action or inaction on our part, so I have no idea what you have your panties all in a wad about.
    Not much of a jump. Your post #8 indicated "All we can do is wish..." & then hope. I'll say again we depend upon the middle east for 40% of our oil. We have to do more than just wish them well & hope. Seems obvious to me. Currently, without that supply, we become a 3rd world country over night. Unfortunately, I think all we are doing is wishing & hoping, both in terms of the stability of the middle east and in terms of becoming energy independent.
    David Didier, GA

How long before there is a "power grab" by a powerful Muslim leader and all hell breaks loose??

The confusion ripens the opportunity.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    Not much of a jump. Your post #8 indicated "All we can do is wish..." & then hope. I'll say again we depend upon the middle east for 40% of our oil. We have to do more than just wish them well & hope. Seems obvious to me. Currently, without that supply, we become a 3rd world country over night. Unfortunately, I think all we are doing is wishing & hoping, both in terms of the stability of the middle east and in terms of becoming energy independent.
    I donít think most people took my comment that way. I was not trying to lay out a plan for stability in the middle east. I had no idea anyone would interpret it in the strictest literally sense. Perhaps, I would have included a disclaimer.