The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Egypt - Be careful what you wish for?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    All we can do is wish them the best with changes to come. Hopefully, whatever government ends up in charge will be better than what they had, and hopefully friendly toward the U.S. as well.
    So we just sit back & let the middle east countries where we secure 40%+ of our oil to turn us into a 3rd world country overnight? We hope but do nothing else? At the same time our government has banned/is banning/de-funding new drilling, new nuclear facilities, hydrogen power development, clean gas & coal development while it is estimated we have over a 100 yr supply of fossil fuels available to us within our borders laying untapped. Genius!
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    So we just sit back & let the middle east countries where we secure 40%+ of our oil to turn us into a 3rd world country overnight? :
    There's a prime example of invalid reductio ad absurdum!

To repsond in kind would go something like, "so we spend another $3 trillion of our treasury and send a couple hundred thousand American troops onto their soil or else have Islamic law take over the world and control the oil supply?"

Kind of silly, eh? Is that what you're saying? Well, I don't think Blackstone was saying anything remotely related to the translation you provided, either.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post

To repsond in kind would go something like, "so we spend another $3 trillion of our treasury and send a couple hundred thousand American troops onto their soil or else have Islamic law take over the world and control the oil supply?"

Kind of silly, eh? Is that what you're saying? Well, I don't think Blackstone was saying anything remotely related to the translation you provided, either.
    Here's an even primer example of invalid reductio ad absurdum! (a form of argument in which a proposition is disproven by following its implications logically to an absurd consequence.)
    Isn't it interesting that states with the worst public schools are all vote rebublican? (Nebraska, Idaho, Miss.) I see your point, and understand why republicans want to dismantle public education. A stupid populace is an easily controlled one. Its right out of 1984. Next we'll see people trying to ban or rewrite literature such as Tom Sawyer....oops, already there!

Quote Originally Posted by sandyg View Post
    Here's an even primer example of invalid reductio ad absurdum! (a form of argument in which a proposition is disproven by following its implications logically to an absurd consequence.)
    You don't need to provide a definition. I know quite well what reductio ad absurdum means; that's why I used it. I also know that your example is completely disconnected from that definition. Just because you can look a word up on google dictionary, does NOT mean that you know how to use it.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

You don't need to provide a definition. I know quite well what reductio ad absurdum means; that's why I used it. I also know that your example is completely disconnected from that definition. Just because you can look a word up on google dictionary, does NOT mean that you know how to use it.
    I didn't provide the definition for your benefit. I provided it for all of the stupid unwashed republicans that you banter back and forth with on this forum. Of course an erudite MOTRI such as yourself knows the meaning; hell, you probably invented it!

Quote Originally Posted by sandyg View Post
    I didn't provide the definition for your benefit. I provided it for all of the stupid unwashed republicans that you banter back and forth with on this forum. Of course an erudite MOTRI such as yourself knows the meaning; hell, you probably invented it!
    He is most definitely the personification of the meaning.
    Since nothing is ever original from this source, it must have been overheard or used on him by someone else.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Actually your reponse fits the definition of reductio ad absurdum. I gave you a strong hint as to what my response would be but you went off on some wild tangent. I don't think there is quick answer to solve the middle east problem (we've worked hard to get ourselves into this problem, just based upon playing politics) but I think to sit back and just hope is akin to burying your head in the sand and hope the sky doesn't fall in. I think we should attempt to influence decisions in the middle east to our favor where reasonably possible using reasonable means. But primarily & most importantly, I think we should be moving as swiftly as possible to becoming energy independent, that includes the obvious; we should be drilling yesterday in Alaska, off the east coast, in the gulf & developing shale technology, we should be building more nuclear energy plants, we should be developing hydrogen technology, we should be developing clean gas & coals technology. These are the obvious sources of energy which our country has in abundance and these are the sources of energy that will get us to energy independence any time in the next 50 yrs.
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    Actually your reponse fits the definition of reductio ad absurdum.
    thank you. It was an example, and was supposed to. Maybe sandyq can learn from it, instead of insulting everybody. I never meant to insult anyone, but he certainly took it that way, and returned fire.

I appreciate your reply. its nice to have a meaningful discussion. Not sure why RK is lobbing insults again, which is out of character for him. I didn't call anyone any names. if using a latin phrase which is in common english usage is somehow insulting to him, I don't know what to tell him, but would appreciate if he and RK would keep things civil. We could all digress into name calling, but then the janitor would be conscripted into action again, and he really doesn't need or want that.

Again, its good talking with you. It will be interesting to see how we deal with Egypt and any other uprisings in that region.

dave f

It's probably too late now but I think we need an unofficial "official" group to counteract the efforts of the Crisis Group. They've had a huge head start and advantage in funding but according to some polls 82% of Egyptians dislike the US. Official diplomatic efforts from Hillary/State will be like pizzin in the wind. I really don't think Hillary has much interest in covering PBO's behind anyway. Could make an intersting issue in '12 if he's 'the man who lost the Mid East"
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    It's probably too late now but I think we need an unofficial "official" group to counteract the efforts of the Crisis Group. They've had a huge head start and advantage in funding but according to some polls 82% of Egyptians dislike the US. Official diplomatic efforts from Hillary/State will be like pizzin in the wind. I really don't think Hillary has much interest in covering PBO's behind anyway. Could make an intersting issue in '12 if he's 'the man who lost the Mid East"

I am sure the Arab nations will listen to Hillary.

Where is her burkha????

RK
    Stan b & Elvis