The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: 1 dead in Iranian protests

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Posts
    3,611

    Default 1 dead in Iranian protests

    Looks like the protests in Egypt have spilled over into Iran.

    TEHRAN Clashes between Iranian police and tens of thousands of protesters wracked central Tehran on Monday as security forces beat and fired tear gas at opposition supporters hoping to evoke Egypt's recent popular uprising.
    An Iranian was shot dead, the semi-official Fars news agency reported.

    The opposition called for a demonstration Monday in solidarity with Egypt's popular revolt that a few days earlier forced the president there to resign after nearly 30 years in office. The rally is the first major show of strength for Iran's cowed opposition in more than a year.
    Police used tear gas against the protesters in central Tehran's Enghelab, or Revolution, square and in Imam Hossein square, as well as in other nearby main streets. Demonstrators responded by setting garbage bins on fire to protect themselves from the stinging white clouds.

    U.S. supports protesters
    The United States stands with Iranian opposition supporters, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Monday, calling on Tehran to grant its citizens the same freedoms that were recently won by protests in Egypt.
    "Let me, clearly and directly, support the aspirations of the people who are in the streets in Iran today," Clinton told reporters after meeting with the Republican speaker of the House of Representatives, John Boehner.
    "What we see happening in Iran today is a testament to the courage of the Iranian people, and an indictment of the hypocrisy of the Iranian regime -- a regime which over the last three weeks has constantly hailed what went on in Egypt," Clinton said.
    "We wish the opposition and the brave people in the streets across cities in Iran the same opportunities that they saw their Egyptian counterparts seize."

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41574647...deastn_africa/

  2. #2
    Senior Member dnf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Pa
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    This one seems a little more clear on how to handle, as Ahmedinijad is no ally....or even vague friend. But then again, not even Iran happens in a vacuum. I doubt any future middle-east protest/revolutions will unfold similar to Egypt. All the dictators now know what NOT to do. (ie let them go on for more than a day or two.)
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

  3. #3
    Senior Member roseberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    1,919

    Default

    roger,
    my wife calls me a southern man (in the neil young tradition) when i say this but, when allowed to vote, don't muslim countries usually vote into power parties, individuals and forms of government we Americans consider terroristic and theocratic. this is a legitimate question so help me if you can, has there ever been an election, reform or coup for that matter in a predominately muslim country where Americans viewed the outcome as favorable?

    thanks for posting the story. these developments are very interesting. i am as conservative as they come, but i never understood why the bush administration thought democratic change in the middle east a positive thing.

    john mc

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    roger,
    my wife calls me a southern man (in the neil young tradition) when i say this but, when allowed to vote, don't muslim countries usually vote into power parties, individuals and forms of government we Americans consider terroristic and theocratic. this is a legitimate question so help me if you can, has there ever been an election, reform or coup for that matter in a predominately muslim country where Americans viewed the outcome as favorable?

    thanks for posting the story. these developments are very interesting. i am as conservative as they come, but i never understood why the bush administration thought democratic change in the middle east a positive thing.

    john mc
    I guess we will have to wait and see what happens there. Any change in the givernment there would probably be for the better as they cannot get much worse.

  5. #5
    Senior Member roseberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    1,919

    Default

    roger,
    that is exactly what i thought about yasir arrafat(sp?). then they vote and you get hammas, hezbolah.....etc.
    john mc

  6. #6
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    Looks like the protests in Egypt have spilled over into Iran.

    TEHRAN Clashes between Iranian police and tens of thousands of protesters wracked central Tehran on Monday as security forces beat and fired tear gas at opposition supporters hoping to evoke Egypt's recent popular uprising.
    An Iranian was shot dead, the semi-official Fars news agency reported.

    The opposition called for a demonstration Monday in solidarity with Egypt's popular revolt that a few days earlier forced the president there to resign after nearly 30 years in office. The rally is the first major show of strength for Iran's cowed opposition in more than a year.
    Police used tear gas against the protesters in central Tehran's Enghelab, or Revolution, square and in Imam Hossein square, as well as in other nearby main streets. Demonstrators responded by setting garbage bins on fire to protect themselves from the stinging white clouds.

    U.S. supports protesters
    The United States stands with Iranian opposition supporters, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Monday, calling on Tehran to grant its citizens the same freedoms that were recently won by protests in Egypt.
    "Let me, clearly and directly, support the aspirations of the people who are in the streets in Iran today," Clinton told reporters after meeting with the Republican speaker of the House of Representatives, John Boehner.
    "What we see happening in Iran today is a testament to the courage of the Iranian people, and an indictment of the hypocrisy of the Iranian regime -- a regime which over the last three weeks has constantly hailed what went on in Egypt," Clinton said.
    "We wish the opposition and the brave people in the streets across cities in Iran the same opportunities that they saw their Egyptian counterparts seize."

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41574647...deastn_africa/
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Roger Perry
    So what is the point of this thread.
    Just sayin'.......

    RK
    Stan b & Elvis

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Just sayin'.......

    RK
    The point of the thread is that Protests against the government in Iran are starting up because they worked in Egypt to overthrow its President and got him removed from office. Any change in government in Iran could be for the better for the World.

  8. #8
    Senior Member badbullgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    somewhere between Boca Grande and Mims
    Posts
    7,055

    Default

    Egypt = Apples
    Iran = Oranges
    All the people of Iran will get is killed for their efforts.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

  9. #9
    Senior Member Uncle Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    4,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Egypt = Apples
    Iran = Oranges
    All the people of Iran will get is killed for their efforts.
    Exactly. Guess which side the military is on in this country, Roger? Then tell me what the chances are of Iran becoming another Egypt.

    Seems that was tried a couple years ago, when your esteemed messiah dropped the ball, and let the 'revolution' get killed. And now you are getting all jazzed in 2011? What's changed? Obama? Iran?

    Realizing I'm out of bounds with this request, Roger...but GET REAL.

    UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama on Tuesday slammed Iran for its harsh treatment of anti-government protesters and called on governments throughout the Middle East to avoid crackdowns on pro-democracy supporters.
    "The world is changing," Obama said in a message directed at autocratic rulers across the region. "You have a young, vibrant generation within the Middle East that is looking for greater opportunity. ... You've got to get out ahead of change; you can't be behind the curve."

    Obama was asked at a White House news conference about the mood of change sweeping the Middle East in sympathy with the opposition victory in Egypt.
    "It's ironic that the Iranian regime is pretending to celebrate what happened in Egypt," Obama said. "They acted in direct contrast to what happened in Egypt" by using force against demonstrators.
    Obama said that with advances in freedom of communication through smart phones and Twitter, it is more true than ever that governments must recognize that they must act with the consent of the people.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41601310...deastn_africa/

    Sounds like President Obama is getting down on Iran
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 02-15-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •