The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 112

Thread: Haley Makin' His Move......

  1. #31
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I must have missed that thread and I can't find it.

    There weren't many white southern politicians that supported intergration back in the 60's.
    Haley Barbour was not a politician in the 60's... Probably in high school.
    Bill Davis

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I must have missed that thread and I can't find it.

    There weren't many white southern politicians that supported intergration back in the 60's.
    Haley Barbour's comments were just made last year, which is what makes them all the more stunning. He may have grown up in the 1960s, but I would have hoped he would have grown more socially aware over the years, and not come out in support of an organization with a history like the White Citizens Council. There is no way I could expect a man like that to represent my best interests, so how could I vote for him.

  3. #33
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    Haley Barbour's comments were just made last year, which is what makes them all the more stunning. He may have grown up in the 1960s, but I would have hoped he would have grown more socially aware over the years, and not come out in support of an organization with a history like the White Citizens Council. There is no way I could expect a man like that to represent my best interests, so how could I vote for him.
    Barack Obama got what...95% of the black vote last time? He will next time as well. So in the big scheme of things, whats the difference.

    If 95% if the white population voted for any white candidate, can you imagine the screaming of racism the press, Jesse, Al and the rest of the lib establishment would be doing? Just asking...
    Bill Davis

  4. #34
    Senior Member dnf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Pa
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Barack Obama got what...95% of the black vote last time? He will next time as well. So in the big scheme of things, whats the difference.

    If 95% if the white population voted for any white candidate, can you imagine the screaming of racism the press, Jesse, Al and the rest of the lib establishment would be doing? Just asking...
    There's a huge difference. It very well may be (probably is) racist that 95% of blacks voted for Obama. Many voted for him based on qualities or ideals....then there were racists who voted only because he was black.

    The difference is, blacks still comprise a minority of this country, therefore many whites and non-African-Americans ALSO had to vote for him in order to secure a win. So he did not win merely on racist votes.

    Its really a bogus argurment, as there have not been black candidates (with rare exceptions) in this country. Your question above can easily be answered with "virtually 100% of white voters HAVE voted for white candidates throughout this country's history! Does that make them racist? Of course not.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

  5. #35
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    There's a huge difference. It very well may be (probably is) racist that 95% of blacks voted for Obama. Many voted for him based on qualities or ideals....then there were racists who voted only because he was black.

    The difference is, blacks still comprise a minority of this country, therefore many whites and non-African-Americans ALSO had to vote for him in order to secure a win. So he did not win merely on racist votes.

    Its really a bogus argurment, as there have not been black candidates (with rare exceptions) in this country. Your question above can easily be answered with "virtually 100% of white voters HAVE voted for white candidates throughout this country's history! Does that make them racist? Of course not.


    In the context of Obama vs McCain... if 95 % of white voters had voted for McCain.... if I have to spell it out that literally is what I should have said. Of course white voters have voted for white candidates. In this case, they had a "racial" choice and a majority of WHITE voters voted for the black candidate. I'm pretty sure you know what I was getting at.
    Bill Davis

  6. #36
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    Haley Barbour's comments were just made last year, which is what makes them all the more stunning. He may have grown up in the 1960s, but I would have hoped he would have grown more socially aware over the years, and not come out in support of an organization with a history like the White Citizens Council. There is no way I could expect a man like that to represent my best interests, so how could I vote for him.
    Could you please post these horrific quotes??


    Standing by.........



    RK
    Stan b & Elvis

  7. #37
    Senior Member cotts135's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Watertown NY
    Posts
    697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Does Barbour get to use the same excuse that Obama used when asked about his ties to The Weather Underground People? Hey I was just a kid...what could I know? Worked for Obama...maybe Barbour should try it.
    You asked him to tell you why he thought Barbour was a rascist. He presented his argument but you, instead of either arguing against what he said or agreeing with it, you bring up Obama? Weak.............. And we wonder why threads get so far off topic.

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Barack Obama got what...95% of the black vote last time? He will next time as well. So in the big scheme of things, whats the difference.

    If 95% if the white population voted for any white candidate, can you imagine the screaming of racism the press, Jesse, Al and the rest of the lib establishment would be doing? Just asking...
    That’s funny considering Shirley Chisholm, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Alan Keyes, Carol Moseley Braun, and Lenora Fulani have all attempted to run for president, and none could even get enough of the white vote to win the nomination of their own party. They didn’t even get 95% of the black vote within their party. Did the press, Jesse, Al and the rest of the lib establishment scream racism?

    Also, until Obama, elections for president came down to 2 white men. So, who do you think 95% of the white population was voting for? And, coincidentally, 95% of the black voting population was voting for a white man too. Did the press, Jesse, Al and the rest of the lib establishment scream racism?

    More than 90% of black voters have voted for the Democratic candidate for president since the 1960s, and LBJ. If the Republicans had run a black candidate, he wouldn’t have gotten 95% of the black vote just because he was black. So, contrary to what you are implying, blacks do actually think about who they want to represent them, and why. I know there are those blacks that voted for Obama just because he was black, just like there are those whites that voted against Obama just because he was black.

  9. #39
    Senior Member dnf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Pa
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    In the context of Obama vs McCain... if 95 % of white voters had voted for McCain.... if I have to spell it out that literally is what I should have said. Of course white voters have voted for white candidates. In this case, they had a "racial" choice and a majority of WHITE voters voted for the black candidate. I'm pretty sure you know what I was getting at.
    Yes, I do. But what is your point? By your own reasoning, then the tea party must be very racist, as what percentage of them voted for the white candidate? How about the republican party as a whole? What percentage of them voted for the white candidate? Over 90%? 95?

    Let me offer a more reasonable explanation. Maybe the candidate that is more in line with tea party values happened to be white. And maybe the candidate who fell in line with the AA communitie's values happened to be black.

    And maybe, just maybe, there are racists in all camps, hopefully comprising a smaller and smaller percentage as we move beyond racism, sexism, and other forms of unfounded discrimination, that grab the attention of the other side when trying to score points.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

  10. #40
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Could you please post these horrific quotes??


    Standing by.........



    RK
    Still standing by......


    RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •