The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Haley Makin' His Move......

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Hey, maybe we can all "just get along" afterall!

really, I do try to be careful when crying racist. That is a very powerful word, and without the ability to get into someone's heart and mind....that's a tough one to call. Sometimes one's actions clearly define their intentions, but I haven't seen Haley demonstrate himself to be a racist.

For someone who has political aspirations, and needs to show leadership and connection with different groups of people, I think his comments were insensitive and perhaps a little foolish....but did not rise to racist in my assessment. I'm sure others will feel different...in both directions.
    Well said DNF....I can agree with that.

Please put me on ignore then. Unlike some others here I only put forth MY opinion. I don't tell others what they feel or think. Maybe you and a few others should give that a try?

What were you saying about my posts being all "I, I, I"??? Here a sampling of someone you may know....

I am comparing both vehicles equally. The Volt has an IC engine, batteries, and electric motors. Replace the batteries and motors with IC engine based transaxle and you would be money and energy ahead. But then you would have a standard Malibu, not a half-assed electric car.

I know the difference between a tax rebate and a credit (once again, condescending). This is a rebate. Take from my pocket and give to the Volt buyer. Sen. Stabenow (D-MI) has a bill to give the $7500 rebate to the buyer at the time of sale, instead of waiting until this year's tax refund check. I don't think that happened when people bought the first $100 TI calculator in the 1970's.

Look familiar? Hint: it's not 777's words!
    Nice try, completely out of context.

Why don't you go comment on my post #93 on the Revisionism ala Ronald Reagan thread? Scared?

For a doctor you sure waste a lot of time hanging out on POTUS all day. What kind of doctor has that much time on their hands?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    As I said, the history of the White Citizens Council is well known in MS. He doesnít need to know 100% of MSí history to know who they were and what they stood for, especially 40 years later. Bad judgment is a mistake you make once, maybe twice, but not repeatedly.

According to the article I read, the issue of the Council of Conservative Citizens doctrine was pointed out to Barbour by the media once the picture surfaced, and he ďrefusedĒ to ask them to remove his picture from their website.

It I hard to believe he didnít know what they stood for when members of the Republican Party were urging Republicans that were members of the Council of Conservative Citizens to renounce their membership because of the organizationís racist views. Barbour was chairman of the Republican National Committee while some of this was going on.

Of course itís possible, but if I found out about it, I would certainly try to keep them from displaying it publically. If I couldnít, I would do everything I could to disassociate myself with them. I have had friends and acquaintances I considered to be racists. I let them know I didnít believe in that. If they persisted, I chose to no longer associate with them.

I do not know if he has given them money. However, support is not only financial. He has appeared at their fund raisers and spoken at their events. That, IMO, is lending your support to them, especially when you are a Governor and former Chair of the Republican Natl. Committee.

You may think it is only ďguilt by association,Ē and perhaps you are right. But, does it seem plausible to you that he would continue to associate with groups like these if he didnít share, accept, or at least tolerate their views?
    No, it makes no sense to me why he would do that, and today's comments on the Nathan Bedford Forrest license plate make it clear to me that he's not the sharpest tool in the shed....especially politically. I can't explain his actions...but I try REAL hard not to judge someone's mind and heart as racist without some concrete action/words that would demonstrate that kind of hatred. That's where my "defense" of his involvement came from.

The license plate thing today may provide some more smoke to your claim, but I'll wait to call him a racist until he displays it in words or deed. I realize your sensitivity is likely higher than mine, and if I were you...I would likely be much the same. To me, his "historical figure" response, etc. got my antenna up....and warrants closer attention to his past, present and future.

I'm glad we can have a reasonable discussion on the topic Blackstone...only way to understand the differences and work toward something better.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyg View Post
    Nice try, completely out of context.

Why don't you go comment on my post #93 on the Revisionism ala Ronald Reagan thread? Scared?

For a doctor you sure waste a lot of time hanging out on POTUS all day. What kind of doctor has that much time on their hands?
    Because I read very few of your posts, and I'm sure as he!! not going waste time on old flotsam of yours.

8 colonoscopies and 2 gall bladders before noon. Thankyou for your concern, but I earned my kibble today. I'd ask what YOU do all day, but I really don't care.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

[QUOTE=sandyg;751914]Nice try, completely out of context.

For a doctor you sure waste a lot of time hanging out on POTUS all day. What kind of doctor has that much time on their hands?[/QUOTE

Remember the doctor on Seinfeld?
    Last edited by huntinman; 05-16-2011 at 07:49 PM.
    Bill Davis

Because I read very few of your posts, and I'm sure as he!! not going waste time on old flotsam of yours.

8 colonoscopies and 2 gall bladders before noon. Thankyou for your concern, but I earned my kibble today. I'd ask what YOU do all day, but I really don't care.
    That's a LOT of crap and bile early in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post

Remember the doctor on Seinfeld?
    Really! Don't you think I've tried that already?

That was a hilarious episode...but I'm afraid that its long enough ago that folks may not remember it....and take that plate the wrong way!

As for your other comment, lets just say I'm not in the mood for a "Mudslide" at the end of the day!

(when done properly, a cholecystectomy should not have any bile spillage)
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Kramer was pretty funny riding around with those plates!
    Bill Davis

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

blackstone, I grew up in MS during the 60's and what went on there was not right no matter what color you were. I was there when a bunch of liberals came and tried to get everything all stirred up. I was raised in a little town of about 750 people that every one knew the others and being as I wasn't from a well to do family I worked along side a diverse bunch. We did not have any problems. Today I can still go down home and still visit my old friends no matter what color they are. This 60's age was a VERY difficult time for everyone in the whole USA You cannot base things on how or what was said about anything back then. There was a lot of bitterness on both sides of the fence. I was not pleased by what I saw during that time I think that most of all race should be left out of any political argument because we are AMERICANS first and foremost and our country is what is important and we ALL have to pull together to get us back on track to being the greatest nation in the world. just my .02 cents worth.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown49 aka Otey B View Post
    blackstone, I grew up in MS during the 60's and what went on there was not right no matter what color you were. I was there when a bunch of liberals came and tried to get everything all stirred up. I was raised in a little town of about 750 people that every one knew the others and being as I wasn't from a well to do family I worked along side a diverse bunch. We did not have any problems. Today I can still go down home and still visit my old friends no matter what color they are. This 60's age was a VERY difficult time for everyone in the whole USA You cannot base things on how or what was said about anything back then. There was a lot of bitterness on both sides of the fence. I was not pleased by what I saw during that time I think that most of all race should be left out of any political argument because we are AMERICANS first and foremost and our country is what is important and we ALL have to pull together to get us back on track to being the greatest nation in the world. just my .02 cents worth.
    I understand you point. However, please remember 3 of those liberals that came were murdered for pushing for civil rights in MS, so not everyone felt the way you did.

My concern is not so much about what was said during the 60s. I understand those were different time. I am much more concerned with Barbourís comments now. The thing referenced in this thread took place as recently as this year. Unlike you, Haley Barbour seems to relish the way things were in the past, and has a history of association with similar groups today. I do not think he has accepted the premise that all Americans are the same and should be treated the same.