The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XL Pipeline Bill

Default XL Pipeline Bill

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...ipeline-route/
    The House easily passed a bill on Friday authorizing construction of the Keystone pipeline, just hours after Nebraska's highest court tossed a lawsuit challenging the route -- increasing pressure on President Obama to approve the long-delayed project.

The House approved the bill on a 266-153 vote, with 28 Democrats joining majority Republicans in voting for it. The Senate is set to consider the legislation next week, and sponsors say it has more than enough support to pass.

But the White House is threatening to veto. And even though the Nebraska court case was one of the reasons the administration has been reluctant to act, the ruling earlier Friday did little to change the president's position.

Spokesman Eric Schultz made clear Obama still wants to wait for a State Department review process to "play out," though the department will review the court decision. He said regardless of the ruling, the House bill conflicts with presidential authority and the review process.

"If presented to the president, he will veto the bill," Schultz said.
    The ruling Friday was a split decision. Four judges on the seven-judge court agreed that the plaintiffs did have legal standing, but because the case raised a constitutional question, a super-majority of five judges was needed.

"The legislation must stand by default," the court said in the opinion.

The lawsuit challenged a 2012 state law that allowed the governor to empower Calgary-based TransCanada to force eastern Nebraska landowners to sell their property for the project. A lower court had sided with the landowners, who said that power resided with the Nebraska Public Service Commission, which regulates pipelines and other utilities.
    Nebraska Gov. Dave Heineman opposed TransCanada's original proposed route that crossed the environmentally sensitive Sandhills region, but he approved the project in 2012 after the company altered the pipeline's path to avoid the Sandhills. Heineman noted that the proposal was reviewed by the Department of Environmental Quality, which is part of his administration.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Tell me Gerry do you think that Eminent Domain taking for private gain is justified under the "narrow" versus the "broad" view of the law? That is what will happen for private Nebraska landowners. Remember this went to the Supreme Court in 2007 over such an issue in New London, CT. where homes were razed for private development (hotel , etc. ) ..people lost but development still has not happened.

isnt this bill DOA if/when it reaches BHO desk, as he has stated he will veto it....
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    isnt this bill DOA if/when it reaches BHO desk, as he has stated he will veto it....
    70% (polls) of the US supports this bill and a congressional over-ride is definitely possible. Moreover, it will be clear who owns doofus (the left) if he vetos it. Further, it will force Hillary to commit to what she would do on this bill. Either way, she'll lose some support. And doing the right thing by passing this bill is good all by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by swliszka View Post
    Tell me Gerry do you think that Eminent Domain taking for private gain is justified under the "narrow" versus the "broad" view of the law? That is what will happen for private Nebraska landowners. Remember this went to the Supreme Court in 2007 over such an issue in New London, CT. where homes were razed for private development (hotel , etc. ) ..people lost but development still has not happened.
    So what's new? Other than the fact that the public sector did not allow the private sector to
    do the correct thing .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

As Ronnie used to say "There you go again Marvin!" The New London, CT case was where the government decided that "private enterprise" had a greater right to someone else's property and took it by Eminent Domain. The "private" company got the land , and did NOTHING wit h it. It sits vacant , razed to this day, w/no tax monies. The original property owners got fair-market value . lost their multi-generation homes and the world turns. I guess I am more conservative on property rights than some of you folks.

As Ronnie used to say "There you go again Marvin!" The New London, CT case was where the government decided that "private enterprise" had a greater right to someone else's property and took it by Eminent Domain. The "private" company got the land , and did NOTHING wit h it. It sits vacant , razed to this day, w/no tax monies. The original property owners got fair-market value . lost their multi-generation homes and the world turns. I guess I am more conservative on property rights than some of you folks.
    Now THERE YOU GO SW!!! It the Keystone pipeline is like all those here in Tennessee, land is NOT taken by eminent domain. Only an easement is required.k In FACT the pipe lines are underground and farmers here continue to farm the land. Pipe lines are really no different than electrical lines, water lines, ect. The Ct issue was an entirely different thing, unless you also argue that electrical lines water lines, sewer lines and hydroelectric dams should also be banned.

Hell some of the neo cons were advocating the US take military action against N. Korea because Sony got hacked
    The military industrial lobby must be pleased with how compliant the sheeple have become

How did things go from building an oil pipeline with 70% approval, the bill for which will be passed by both houses of congress and which has received repeated approval by the state department to neo cons, military industrial complex and military action against N. Korea?

Can you spell "riding an irrational hobby horse"? As an old friend of mine used to say.. nutty nutty.

Being so GD smart, maybe you can tell me where my statement did not say that!
    It will be a cold day in Hades when you have a conservative bone in your body or
    your thoughts, that's my opinion !!!!!!

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!