The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 53 of 65 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Governor Scott Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    Do you agree or disagree with the course of action that some Minnesota school districts have taken to drop extracurricular activities because the schools cannot afford them????????????

I agree with this as one means of dealing with shortfalls. While I am totally in support of high school sports, some have gotten out of hand and some, IMO, are not real sports but rather activities. When did it become required to add each and every so called sport to a High Schools required offerings? If a school district is in financial trouble, the first cut or reductions should be adminstrative. No school principal is worth $150,000 per year. No superintendent need be paid more than a governor. No teacher who cannot function at a high level should even be teaching.

After making these cuts, I feel sports that cannot pay there way or help pay should be the first to go. Education has got to be the first priority. If districts are not able to support each and every sport, I would look to the community and re-develope a strong playgorund program.

If that is not workable, do what many Minnesota districts have done, increase the activity fee. I for one am willing to use my tax dollars to educate children, but if money is tight, drop the sports, or attend your local school board meetings and demand administrative pay in line with reality. The arguemant that "we need to pay more to get qualified people" just does not work anymore.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    I agree with this as one means of dealing with shortfalls. While I am totally in support of high school sports, some have gotten out of hand and some, IMO, are not real sports but rather activities. When did it become required to add each and every so called sport to a High Schools required offerings? If a school district is in financial trouble, the first cut or reductions should be adminstrative. No school principal is worth $150,000 per year. No superintendent need be paid more than a governor. No teacher who cannot function at a high level should even be teaching.

After making these cuts, I feel sports that cannot pay there way or help pay should be the first to go. Education has got to be the first priority. If districts are not able to support each and every sport, I would look to the community and re-develope a strong playgorund program.

If that is not workable, do what many Minnesota districts have done, increase the activity fee. I for one am willing to use my tax dollars to educate children, but if money is tight, drop the sports, or attend your local school board meetings and demand administrative pay in line with reality. The arguemant that "we need to pay more to get qualified people" just does not work anymore.

In line with this, most parochial schools have self supporting sports.
    Sell tickets, sell snacks & soda, sell coupon books or candy or other promotions.
    Parents volunteer time (required) to man booths or take ticket money etc.

Sports (or any extra-curricular activity) is not a "right."

But none of these things are the issue.....this line of reasoning is what the progressive liberals use to demonize the opposing point of veiw.
    It is NOT based in reality or logic.

RK
    Last edited by road kill; 03-04-2011 at 09:07 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by weberpal78 View Post
    Pretty good! I had one teacher/coach like that in 9th grade... never forgot him. Too bad there aren't more like that.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post

When they decided there should be an equal number of sports made available to girls and boys.

I personally think sports and other clubs should be the last thing to go. You start taking away sports and you lose great experiences for kids, many life lessons and friends are made through sports. I would agree that cuts could be made elsewhere in order to keep sports.

We're starting to see alot of sports clubs being formed in order to raise money for the necessities in order to remain competitive with schools who have the money.
    Matt Weberpal

Candlewood's Just In Case JH

When they decided there should be an equal number of sports made available to girls and boys.

I personally think sports and other clubs should be the last thing to go. You start taking away sports and you lose great experiences for kids, many life lessons and friends are made through sports. I would agree that cuts could be made elsewhere in order to keep sports.

We're starting to see alot of sports clubs being formed in order to raise money for the necessities in order to remain competitive with schools who have the money.
    Again;

In line with this, most parochial schools have self supporting sports.
    Sell tickets, sell snacks & soda, sell coupon books or candy or other promotions.
    Parents volunteer time (required) to man booths or take ticket money etc.

Sports (or any extra-curricular activity) is not a "right."

But none of these things are the issue.....this line of reasoning is what the progressive liberals use to demonize the opposing point of veiw.
    It is NOT based in reality or logic.
    Nothing needs to "go," these things do need to be looked at and restructured.
    What we have been doing is NOT working for anyone.

RK
    Last edited by road kill; 03-04-2011 at 10:13 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Did anyone se the protesters who were led out of our Capital?

Also over $7 million in damage??

Live ammunition found on the grounds.

Unbeleivable.

The Republicans were elected by a large majority to do a job.
    The minority runs away to try to stop them.
    Come to work, do your job.
    If the people don't like what Walker is doing, vote the Republicans out in the next election.

A snapshot poll does not run WI politics.

It's funny, that those who teach can't do the MATH!!!!

RK
    I thought you were for gun rights. Isn't concealed gun permits one of Walker's campaign promises??????
    Pass and sign concealed carry legislation

Will pass concealed carry legislation. “Scott has time and again supported shall issue concealed carry legislation and has said explicitly he will sign it as governor.”

>>
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 03-04-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    I thought you were for gun rights.

See Roger, this is exactly what I mean about "soiling a thread."

I see you edited your thread.
    I don't blame you.

But this is not a source of comedic relief.

RK
    Last edited by road kill; 03-04-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

You do realize that schools are there for education, not to show the kids a good time. There are plenty of sports programs that parents can put their kids in after school and not be a burden on the tax payers.

Polls show Wisconsinites are overwhelmingly turning against what he's trying to do. (60+%)
    They aren't polling the right people. I heard one of the hiding Democrats interviewed last night and he called the Republicans childish. Unbelievable. They are hiding and not doing the job they are paid to do. They have latched onto the "ending collective bargaining rights" as their mantra, but that's not what is supposed to happen. The unions are afraid they will lose those $$$ if workers have a choice if they don't want to be in a union because the fees aren't deducted automatically from their checks. Already there are a bunch of teachers retiring so they will maintain the current benefits. I happen to know personally there are a few that should have retired awhile ago, but the unions keep them in. Maybe there would be a little better education going on if teachers didn't feel so safe. Being as I am at retirement age, I remember a wise old teacher commented on the new blood when I was going to school, "It looks like to me, If you can't do anything else, then teach". These are the ones sitting on those jobs. The teaching program was easy back when I went to UWM. Most of my friends went for teaching degrees, abandoning Science, Math, Business and taking a few extra courses and got their teaching degree. Maybe they can hire some of the college degreed students now who can't find a job or are working at fast food places.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

that's why I said:

"We're starting to see alot of sports clubs being formed in order to raise money for the necessities in order to remain competitive with schools who have the money."
    BTW---That's why I said "Parochial schools have successfully done this for years."

We have to change the way we do things.
    What we have done to this point is not working well.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis