The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Greats Tank Battles - Military Channel gdg

Default Greats Tank Battles - Military Channel gdg

Anyone watch "Tank Week" last week on the Military Channel? Greatest Tank Battles?

They way these battles are recreated using today's technology and interviews with the participants is great TV!

Just when one thinks they know everything about every battle in WW2, we get exposed to new history.

I have never thought of the battle of the Rhineland. Most of what we see after the Battle of the Buldge is the collaspe of Berlin.

The Rhineland tank battle was fought by the Bristish and Canadians vs Germany. If they ever show it again, watch it! You'll realize there was more to tank warfare in WW2 then Gen Patton.

How cool would it be to own you own vintage Tiger to ride around in.
    Last edited by Franco; 02-16-2011 at 08:07 PM.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Anyone watch "Tank Week" last week on the Military Channel?

They way these battles are recreated using today's technology and interviews with the participants is great TV!

Just when one thinks they know everything about every battle in WW2, we get exposed to new history.

I have never thought of the battle of the Rhineland. Most of what we see after the Battle of the Buldge is the collaspe of Berlin.

The Rhineland tank battle was fought by the Bristish and Canadians vs Germany. If they ever show it again, watch it! You'll realize there was more to tank warfare in WW2 then Gen Patton.

How cool would it be to own you own vintage Tiger to ride around in.
    Love that show....and the similar Dogfight show they did for years.

Quote Originally Posted by TxHillHunter View Post

Love that show....and the similar Dogfight show they did for years.
    Great TV! I've seen both the Pacific and Europe WW2 series of Dogfights.

They also did a series called, "USS Enterprise 360" that is magnificient! Takes the noble aircraft carrier through its Pacific campaign. She was in every major action and though a top target for Jap pilots, she survived the war only to be scrapped after Japan's unconditional surrender.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Franco - had an uncle do the Pacific thing & an uncle plus my dad do the BotB. In fact my uncle was an officer in a Tank Destroyer battalion, they ran around with jeeps, or small trucks & pulled little guns big enough to take a tank out. He got caught in No Man's Land one day when fighting started, crawled into a rain barrel & prayed no one shot a hole in the barrel, for a guy 6' 3" quite a feat. I don't watch much war stuff, heard it 1st hand from many of the drafted returning vets who were just happy to be home. I was old & strong enough to make a man's wages while the real men were off to war. Also had some of my class & school mates get shot up in Korea. Don't like war but don't know how better to keep the bad guys in line, which they sorely need. Don't like watching it.

Our enemies are not nice people & will never meet that criteria. We need to figure out a way of handling that without wasting innocent lives.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

The episode last night on the Yom Kippur War was outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by junfan68 View Post

The episode last night on the Yom Kippur War was outstanding.
    That was a good episode. Israelis were out numbered 4 to 1 in tanks on the Golan Heights and still kicked Syria's ass. That was after they kicked the Egyptians back across the Suez Canal.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    That was a good episode. Israelis were out numbered 4 to 1 in tanks on the Golan Heights and still kicked Syria's ass. That was after they kicked the Egyptians back across the Suez Canal.

There is no question the Israeli's have the onions to deal with those that are into annihilating them. Along with their American backing and know-how, they are as formidable a fighting machine as there is.

One of my all-time favorite movie memories was when Patton was destroying Rommels brigade in northern Africa, and the camera zoomed in on him looking through his binoculars, ad he stated: "Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your book!"

My eldest cousin was in WWII as an infantryman with Patton's Ghost Brigade that crossed the Rhine under fire at Mainz/Frankfort. Ironically I was stationed at the officers barracks in the Mainz casern as a member of the 360th Ordinance Platoon, in the late 50's. We also had 2 battle groups of paratroopers, and a large artillery company at that casern. It was a good military stint for a youthful 2-year draftee.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.