The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you fly more or less?

Still fly alot, but not because I enjoy it. Honestly, the amateurs are the ones that make the security lines painful. Some airports have "expert traveler" lines stocked with frequent flyers and I can normally cruise through one pretty quickly...but they are become more rare. My ability to "profile" frequent versus infrequent travelers helps me, but even that backfires on me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    LESS!!!

And I hit the road a fair amount.

ex: If I make a run from Milwaukee to the Twin Cities I drive now.
    It now takes less time to drive 650+ miles than to fly.

RK
    Plus when you drive, if you want to drink that soda in your purse you just pop the top AND, more importantly-- they don't have candy bars on airplanes. That's just un-American.

Before 9/11 I accumulated over 2M DL skymiles (most in the 90s decade). Since then I've accumulated only about 100K & try not to fly any chance I get. Not complaining if the security is really a deterrent but I'm not so sure really. I think a more automated, less intrusive scanning of people & bags would be more effective, with people only stopped when a scan created an alert - and with a lot less labor. In most airports there is a reasonably long corridor from the ticket counter to the gates (at least somewhere in between). Technlogy exists that could prove very effective to scan for concerns through a corridor. Guess I'm dreaming but there has to be a better solution.
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Pals View Post
    Plus when you drive, if you want to drink that soda in your purse you just pop the top AND, more importantly-- they don't have candy bars on airplanes. That's just un-American.
    It's not a purse!!!

It's a "European Man Bag!!"

OK!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

It's not a purse!!!

OK!!

RK
    It was a gift....sure it was...
    Bill Davis

Less. I haven't been on a plane since I last took a flight from Seattle. It was shortly after 9/11. We were returning after a Alaska Cruise. Before boarding, they insisted on opening our carefully dry ice packed box of fresh salmon from Pikes Place Fish Market, confiscated a cork screw my wife bought as a souvenir for our daughter as well as my SOG pocket knife that I forgot to put in my luggage.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Much less.
    Used to love to fly. I now avoid it like the plague

I avoid it whenever possible now. I hadn't flown anywhere for 3 years until last month. Is it just me or have the seats, the overhead compartments and the leg space gotten much smaller? Besides the lines, filthy plastic bins, odor of smelly feet and pocket emptying, those TSA creeps make you feel like a criminal and then, once you actually get on the plane and seated, it's downright misery especially if you're stuck w/a middle seat.

And from that last flight I caught a horrible cold crammed into that flying germ tube and am still recovering from the pneumonia and laryngitis it turned into. I will drive from now on unless it's an absolute necessity.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    Less. I haven't been on a plane since I last took a flight from Seattle. It was shortly after 9/11. We were returning after a Alaska Cruise. Before boarding, they insisted on opening our carefully dry ice packed box of fresh salmon from Pikes Place Fish Market, confiscated a cork screw my wife bought as a souvenir for our daughter as well as my SOG pocket knife that I forgot to put in my luggage.
    I've probably contributed a dozen pocket knives since 9/11 for the same reason. But with the charges these days for luggage & everyone attempting to carry-on their luggage, there's no where to put your pocket knife. This baggage thing has turned gate agents into baggage nazis & flight attendants into baggage handlers. Air travel is a mess.......
    David Didier, GA

It's not a purse!!!

OK!!

RK
    You must have it stashed in your saddle bag?
    Anyway, I hope its blue.....

God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!