The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Angry Colin Powell wants answers on Iraq WMD lies

Quote Originally Posted by stumpholehunter View Post
    Actually, to be a good soldier, you must also ask questions about things that don't make sense to you. He had another choice he could have made if/when he knew the intel was incorrect. He could have resigned his commission and retired. He didn't have to lie to anyone, if that is what he did.
    I'm not saying he lied. I think he believed what he was saying at the time. However, according to the article at the link I posted, he didn't want to go into Iraq, and he tried to talk Bush out of it. But, once the decision was made, he put on the united front, and supported his boss. I wouldn't expect him to jump ship as soon as things started to south. However, I think he would have if he had known the whole thing was a lie.

I agree with Blackstone. While not perfect (who is?), I think Gen. Powell (ret) is an honorable man. He was still wearing his soldier hat, or at least "charging the hill" as ordered when he read the information handed to him.

I do not believe that those who wrote that piece, and assembled and chose the intel that went into it, acted honorably or without influence. There were enough doubts cast at the time, notwithstanding Joe Wilson, that I would call that very shoddy work at best.....manipulative at worst. I don't know where the truth lies, but I think its somewhere between those two.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Banned

Actually, to be a good soldier, you must also ask questions about things that don't make sense to you. He had another choice he could have made if/when he knew the intel was incorrect. He could have resigned his commission and retired. He didn't have to lie to anyone, if that is what he did.
    No, a good soldier obeys and does what he is told to do by his superiors. Haven't you ever heard the saying:
    "Ours is not to reason why Ours is but to do and die"
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 02-18-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    No, a good soldier obeys and does what he is told to do by his superiors. Haven't you ever heard the saying:
    Looks like Colin may have forgotten that one....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TxHillHunter View Post
    Looks like Colin may have forgotten that one....
    No, he did as he was told to do, stand up in front of the world and say Iraq had WMD and convince the people of the U.S. and Congress that what he said was the truth as orchrestated by the Bush administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    I never saw that in the UCMJ.

Could you show that to me???

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

RK
    If General Powell (ret) was ordered to stand up in front of Congress, the U.N. or the people of the United States of America and say to them that Saddam Hussein had WMD by the President of the United States (his superior) he would have to obey or be subject to a court martial.

Any person subject to this chapter who--
    (1) violates or fails to obey any lawful general order or regulation;
    (2) having knowledge of any other lawful order issued by any member of the armed forces, which it is his duty to obey, fails to obey the order; or
    (3) is derelict in the performance of his duties;
    shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

RK
    Am I missing something here, or was Colin Powell a civilian when he testified at the UN regarding WMDs?

Last time I read the UCMJ, it applied to military personnel only.

WTF does the UCMJ have to do with this? (sorry for going Sarah on yer Azz)
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Yes, you missed UB telling me I "wore a costume" and something else to the effect that I burn flags or something similar...all because I have a differing political view that he does. I've learned that nothing is above attacks here on POTUS, if you dare to disagree with some of the elders here. I'm not sure why others bring up my military service in that regard, or any other.

I have not, nor will I ever say anything but "thank you" for military service, to those I agree with...or disagree.

I sincerely apologize if you took that the wrong way. It was in reference to another's disrespectful comment.

Dave F
    Thanks for clearing it up. The uniform means everything to me...20 years of service and still plugging along. Thanks for your service as well!!!

Actually Duck, I didn't miss anything. Thats why I took up for Dave by pointing out that it was sarcasm. And I didn't blast anyone. Now, you can go back to being Potus Police.
    Sorry, stump, I misunderstood your comment.

BTW, not trying to be the po-po, just trying to stick up for someone who is getting unfairly slighted.