The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Census Shows Minorities Outnumber Whites in Texas

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Posts
    3,611

    Default Census Shows Minorities Outnumber Whites in Texas

    Thursday, February 17, 2011 | 3:20 p.m.



    Updated at 6:20 p.m. on February 17.

    Texas is a majority-minority state for the first time in a redistricting period, according to just-released census data, a fact that could complicate Republicans’ hopes for a partisan gerrymander—and make the state competitive for Democrats in future years.
    Whites now account for just 45 percent of the state's population, down from 52 percent a decade ago. The Hispanic population is now 38 percent of the total population—growing by 42 percent—while the African-American population grew slightly and is now 12 percent of the total population. The state gained four congressional seats in reapportionment, largely due to minority growth: Almost 90 percent of the state's growth was from minorities

    http://www.nationaljournal.com/censu...texas-20110217

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 | 3:20 p.m.



    Updated at 6:20 p.m. on February 17.

    Texas is a majority-minority state for the first time in a redistricting period, according to just-released census data, a fact that could complicate Republicans’ hopes for a partisan gerrymander—and make the state competitive for Democrats in future years.
    Whites now account for just 45 percent of the state's population, down from 52 percent a decade ago. The Hispanic population is now 38 percent of the total population—growing by 42 percent—while the African-American population grew slightly and is now 12 percent of the total population. The state gained four congressional seats in reapportionment, largely due to minority growth: Almost 90 percent of the state's growth was from minorities

    http://www.nationaljournal.com/censu...texas-20110217
    Does that mean if I move to texas I now qualify for affirmative action?

    No probably not~

  3. #3
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,775

    Default

    Could someone explain to me how a "minority" can out number the majority????

    Wouldn't that make them the majority?


    Just askin'.........


    RK
    Stan b & Elvis

  4. #4
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,816

    Default

    ha ha ha ha ha.

    HA ha ha ha ha.

    HA HA ha ha ha.

    and so on...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Could someone explain to me how a "minority" can out number the majority????

    Wouldn't that make them the majority?


    Just askin'.........


    RK
    Yeah, the people that were in the minority at the last census are now in the majority which means that there are more Mexicans and African Americans in Texas now than there are white people. There are not more Mexicans in Texas than White people and there are not more African Americans in Texas than White people but together they outnumber White people.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    Yeah, the people that were in the minority at the last census are now in the majority which means that there are more Mexicans and African Americans in Texas now than there are white people. There are not more Mexicans in Texas than White people and there are not more African Americans in Texas than White people but together they outnumber White people.
    Roger, you might want to give that another shot. I think ya got a little mixed up half way through that statement.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  7. #7
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,685

    Default

    a true Texan cares more about if you are a loyal citizen to the United States and the state of Texas, than the color or tint of your skin or what ethnic box you checked on the census
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  8. #8
    Senior Member TxHillHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bee Cave, Texas
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    a true Texan cares more about if you are a loyal citizen to the United States and the state of Texas, than the color or tint of your skin or what ethnic box you checked on the census
    Here, here!

    But we also care if you are a LEGAL citizen of the United States!

  9. #9
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    ha ha ha ha ha.

    HA ha ha ha ha.

    HA HA ha ha ha.

    and so on...
    Pithy!!!


    RK
    Stan b & Elvis

  10. #10
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,816

    Default

    "The Last Discovery Of America", is a great read for anyone interested in the subject.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard...ing_of_America
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •