The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Wisconsin Johnny Can't Read

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wetumpka, AL
    Posts
    3,013

    Default Wisconsin Johnny Can't Read

    http://cnsnews.com/news/article/two-...c-school-8th-g

    http://tinyurl.com/4qoq7wd

    Two-Thirds of Wisconsin Public-School 8th Graders Can’t Read Proficiently—Despite Highest Per Pupil Spending in Midwest

    Tuesday, February 22, 2011
    By Terence P. Jeffrey

    (CNSNews.com) - Two-thirds of the eighth graders in Wisconsin public schools cannot read proficiently according to the U.S. Department of Education, despite the fact that Wisconsin spends more per pupil in its public schools than any other state in the Midwest.

    In the National Assessment of Educational Progress tests administered by the U.S. Department of Education in 2009—the latest year available—only 32 percent of Wisconsin public-school eighth graders earned a “proficient” rating while another 2 percent earned an “advanced” rating. The other 66 percent of Wisconsin public-school eighth graders earned ratings below “proficient,” including 44 percent who earned a rating of “basic” and 22 percent who earned a rating of “below basic.”

    -more-

  2. #2
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    http://cnsnews.com/news/article/two-...c-school-8th-g

    http://tinyurl.com/4qoq7wd

    Two-Thirds of Wisconsin Public-School 8th Graders Can’t Read Proficiently—Despite Highest Per Pupil Spending in Midwest

    Tuesday, February 22, 2011
    By Terence P. Jeffrey

    (CNSNews.com) - Two-thirds of the eighth graders in Wisconsin public schools cannot read proficiently according to the U.S. Department of Education, despite the fact that Wisconsin spends more per pupil in its public schools than any other state in the Midwest.

    In the National Assessment of Educational Progress tests administered by the U.S. Department of Education in 2009—the latest year available—only 32 percent of Wisconsin public-school eighth graders earned a “proficient” rating while another 2 percent earned an “advanced” rating. The other 66 percent of Wisconsin public-school eighth graders earned ratings below “proficient,” including 44 percent who earned a rating of “basic” and 22 percent who earned a rating of “below basic.”

    -more-

    Yeah, but..........


    I was trying to post some of these things, but pulled out of the argument.
    There are things going on here now that are just off the charts.
    Not the least of which is threats of violence.
    Supposedly, teachers went back to work, yet there are still 20,000 people protesting.
    Who are they?
    Where are they from?


    RK
    Stan b & Elvis

  3. #3
    Senior Member sandyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lapeer, MI
    Posts
    467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Yeah, but..........


    I was trying to post some of these things, but pulled out of the argument.
    There are things going on here now that are just off the charts.
    Not the least of which is threats of violence.
    Supposedly, teachers went back to work, yet there are still 20,000 people protesting.
    Who are they?
    Where are they from?


    RK
    SEIU thugs? ACORN thugs?

  4. #4
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sandyg View Post
    SEIU thugs? ACORN thugs?
    They all have pizza though.
    Just wonder if that is a union pizza shop????



    RK
    Stan b & Elvis

  5. #5
    Senior Member Matt Weberpal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Antigo WI
    Posts
    453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    http://cnsnews.com/news/article/two-...c-school-8th-g

    http://tinyurl.com/4qoq7wd

    Two-Thirds of Wisconsin Public-School 8th Graders Can’t Read Proficiently—Despite Highest Per Pupil Spending in Midwest

    Tuesday, February 22, 2011
    By Terence P. Jeffrey

    (CNSNews.com) - Two-thirds of the eighth graders in Wisconsin public schools cannot read proficiently according to the U.S. Department of Education, despite the fact that Wisconsin spends more per pupil in its public schools than any other state in the Midwest.

    In the National Assessment of Educational Progress tests administered by the U.S. Department of Education in 2009—the latest year available—only 32 percent of Wisconsin public-school eighth graders earned a “proficient” rating while another 2 percent earned an “advanced” rating. The other 66 percent of Wisconsin public-school eighth graders earned ratings below “proficient,” including 44 percent who earned a rating of “basic” and 22 percent who earned a rating of “below basic.”

    -more-
    Are you sure? Are you sure you're sure?
    Timely release of that article.
    My sources tell a different story.
    Grade 8,
    # of students 61,796, min. perf. 5.5% ,basic 10.0% ,proficient 43.6% ,advanced 40.4%

    http://data.dpi.state.wi.us/data/StateTestsPerformance.aspx?GraphFile=GEDISA&S4orAL L=1&SRegion=1&SCounty=47&SAthleticConf=45&SCESA=05 &FULLKEY=09014003````&OrgLevel=st&DN=Antigo&Qquad= performance.aspx
    Matt Weberpal


    Candlewood's Just In Case JH

  6. #6
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,942

    Default

    More selective BS from the right wingers. Here is the national report on test scores. Every state is summarized on pages 33 & 34.

    I see nothing there that would indicate that Wisconsin should be singled out for criticism, except that there is a effort in progress there to bust the unions.


    Look for yourself...


    http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard...09/2010458.pdf

    Weberpal78, I think the results you're linking is from a different test, is that a state test?

    And I still say, poor reading proficiency is a parent problem more than a school system problem. I wonder how many parents out there shut down the computers and TV machines and have "reading time." No kid becomes proficient or advanced reading only what is assigned at school.
    Last edited by Buzz; 02-22-2011 at 03:43 PM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    And I still say, poor reading proficiency is a parent problem more than a school system problem. I wonder how many parents out there shut down the computers and TV machines and have "reading time." No kid becomes proficient or advanced reading only what is assigned at school.
    So if teachers don't actually make a difference in the proficiency of reading, writing and 'rithmetic, then how is what Walker is trying to do going to keep kids from learning? Does the bill take away kids' parents, too? And if teachers aren't really the ones that make kids proficient, then why should they be compensated so well? If I am not doing my job well, I risk losing pay/benefits....

  8. #8
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    So if teachers don't actually make a difference in the proficiency of reading, writing and 'rithmetic, then how is what Walker is trying to do going to keep kids from learning? Does the bill take away kids' parents, too? And if teachers aren't really the ones that make kids proficient, then why should they be compensated so well? If I am not doing my job well, I risk losing pay/benefits....
    What was I thinking?

    You're right, parents are absolutely off the hook when it comes to their kid's development. Just make sure they get up in the morning and off to school and ya got it dk'd.

    You should look at the link I provided. Nationwide, 2% of kids are advanced, 28% are proficient. That's 30% proficient or above. If you look at what I said, I said proficient or advanced. I'm betting that those 30% are reading outside of school, the other 70% not so much.
    Last edited by Buzz; 02-22-2011 at 04:26 PM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    What was I thinking?

    You're right, parents are absolutely off the hook when it comes to their kid's development. Just make sure they get up in the morning and off to school and ya got it dk'd.
    Where did I say that parents have no responsibility regarding how well their children learn/develop?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,942

    Default

    Never mind...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •