The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Somali Pirates

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Maybe then have one of our "highly ethical reporters" (like the one that called Gov. Walker) call Farah for an "interview" followed by a Predator/Hellfire lock on to his cell phone signal?
    I hate to say it but Roger's suggestion of having a mother ship "develop a mysterious & permanent leak" doesn't sound half bad either.
    Agree. I hope we never know what happens to all the pirates. If done properly, we won't. What we don't need is a lot of public chest thumping and d$%$ waving machismo. How does it go? Speak softly.....

Davey Jones regards....
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Agree. I hope we never know what happens to all the pirates. If done properly, we won't. What we don't need is a lot of public chest thumping and d$%$ waving machismo. How does it go? Speak softly.....

Davey Jones regards....

If lightning struck a pirate and killed him, Obama would be on TV tonight taking all the accolades!!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    If lightning struck a pirate and killed him, Obama would be on TV tonight taking all the accolades!!!

RK
    What better way to put the fear of God into those goons than to make them believe we control the Heavens! Brilliant idea!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

What better way to put the fear of God into those goons than to make them believe we control the Heavens! Brilliant idea!
    Yes, but the frightening part is, I think he and some of his minions beleive he does.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

That's not true. On international waters, there is no governing body to make arms "illegal". Upon entering a port, you must declare your weapons, pharmaceuticals, fresh fruits, or whatever else the host country requires for entry. Some will issue a permit for posession, others will not allow at all. It differs for each country.
    In fact there is a governing body of maritime law, a U.N. treaty called Law of the Sea. In which a U.N. tribunal would no doubt find a gun-toting U.S. flag ship owner/crew guilty even though we are not signatories to the treaty. As we did before Congress voted not to sign it, the U.S. does abide by most of what it codified such as territorial seas, sovereign economic zones for fisheries and minerals as well as international rights of passage.

The reasons the U.S. didn't ratify it were mainly because of the usual U.N. grab for U.S. money and technology mandated by the high seas mining provisions as well as the creation of yet another diplomatic bureaucracy of overpaid underworked U.N. cannibals, err, diplomats. But most of the rest of the world, including all the banana republics, are signatories.

Just sayin'
    Last edited by Julie R.; 02-24-2011 at 09:23 AM.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    In fact there is a governing body of maritime law, a U.N. treaty called Law of the Sea. In which a U.N. tribunal would no doubt find a gun-toting U.S. flag ship owner/crew guilty even though we are not signatories to the treaty. As we did before Congress voted not to sign it, the U.S. does abide by most of what it codified such as territorial seas, sovereign economic zones for fisheries and minerals as well as international rights of passage. Just sayin'
    Thanks for clarifying. As we are not signatories, like I said, there is no governing body. Its when entering ports that issues are likely to arise. Then obviously, you are subject to the host nation's laws.

I have a CWP, and when using it, my first and foremost policy is conflict avoidance! These yachtsmen did not show good judgement in my opinion. They were apparently in a flotilla (safety in numbers) but then for some reason chose to wander into known hostile waters alone. It is tragic, and I feel for thier loss, but this was entirely avoidable by all accounts. I don't think its disprespectful to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Yes, but the frightening part is, I think he and some of his minions beleive he does.

RK

As we are not signatories, like I said, there is no governing body. Its when entering ports that issues are likely to arise. Then obviously, you are subject to the host nation's laws.
    You're correct that the U.S. did not ratify the treaty, but not because we were in disagreement with the international maritime law that it codified. As we did before the treaty, we still abide by international maritime law. The only difference is prior to the treaty, we only had (and recognized) 3 mi. territorial waters, now we have and recognize 12 miles. We simply chose not to participate in yet another U.N. boondoggle, that being the transfer of U.S. technology and money for deep sea mining that the treaty mandated.

but this was entirely avoidable by all accounts. I don't think its disprespectful to say that.
    No argument from me on that point.

Banned

Thanks for clarifying. As we are not signatories, like I said, there is no governing body. Its when entering ports that issues are likely to arise. Then obviously, you are subject to the host nation's laws.

I have a CWP, and when using it, my first and foremost policy is conflict avoidance! These yachtsmen did not show good judgement in my opinion. They were apparently in a flotilla (safety in numbers) but then for some reason chose to wander into known hostile waters alone. It is tragic, and I feel for thier loss, but this was entirely avoidable by all accounts. I don't think its disprespectful to say that.
    You are right. This could of been avoided.

The US could have gone in and wiped Somalia from the map. Paved the whole damn country and then set up the UN there. Is there ANTYHING redeeming about that country?

I think that all the UN folks would love all the sun.

Isn't it funny, that the UNITED NATIONS is headquartered in the United States? What are they afraid to be headquartered in say Libya or Somalia or some other nation?

WRL

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    Isn't it funny, that the UNITED NATIONS is headquartered in the United States? What are they afraid to be headquartered in say Libya or Somalia or some other nation?

WRL
    Ahhh but Lee, those little cannibals, errrr, diplomats represent the best and brightest of the banana republics and tin pot dictatorships and well, the U.N. just could never attract any qualified folks if they were forced to live in the ever-multiplying masses and squalor south of the Equator that they all are fleeing. Plus, what good would "diplomatic immunity" do in a cesspool like Somalia, where there are no attractive women to rape, no fancy stores to steal from and no laws to break?