The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Somali Pirates

How about an RTF cruise off the coast of Somalia?

http://www.tothepointnews.com/content/view/3617/85/
    Terry Moseley
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Leddyman View Post
    How about an RTF cruise off the coast of Somalia?

http://www.tothepointnews.com/content/view/3617/85/
    Do we get to take our weaponry??

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    First from the story I read & the reports on the radio, they broke away from their regatta flotilla to sail by themselves. And supposedly they were completely unarmed.

Unless you are a recognized military entity, it is a violation of Maritime Law to be armed on International waters especially if you want to have free pass into foreign ports. Going into another countries port armed will get you a really long stay in that country. This is why even the large cargo ships don't hire mercenaries to protect them. So their being completely unarmed really wasn't a choice but a necessity.

Skywatcher Salem Orchard Hard "Cider"

Perhaps the victims should've contacted India's navy for some help; this is how they dealt with a recent Somali pirate attempt at hijacking:

'
    Or maybe even the British Royal Navy could've been called on to help:

But don't look for any of these Somali sea thugs to appear on any upcoming episodes of the hit Fox series Cops. Although it does make an amusing mental picture:
    Somali criminal: "I aint done nuffin! That aint my RPG, must've been in the pocket of my pants when I bought them."
    Cop: "Relax, son; we've got medics coming to look at those injuries before we take you to your 3 hots & a cot."

Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post
    Unless you are a recognized military entity, it is a violation of Maritime Law to be armed on International waters especially if you want to have free pass into foreign ports. Going into another countries port armed will get you a really long stay in that country. This is why even the large cargo ships don't hire mercenaries to protect them. So their being completely unarmed really wasn't a choice but a necessity.
    While I understand your point (I think), what is the logical extension of that?
    Does Obama, through the Navy, need to put extra reources there in the Gulf to protect Americans/intersts?
    And even if he does, don't you think the situation would be similar to court rulings here, that the polce have no legal obligation to respond to protect you?

Or does it make even more sense to for private parties, who legally can't be armed & have no commercial intersts in being there, to stay the hell out of that area if at all possible?
    {Though I would venture a 'guess" that, as in many gun controlled areas in our country, there are some that do carry "illegal" weapons and would rather take the risk of being "tried" than "buried".}

And how should we decide the priorites of who gets the protection of the limited resources?
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    While I understand your point (I think), what is the logical extension of that?
    Does Obama, through the Navy, need to put extra reources there in the Gulf to protect Americans/intersts?
    And even if he does, don't you think the situation would be similar to court rulings here, that the polce have no legal obligation to respond to protect you?

Or does it make even more sense to for private parties, who legally can't be armed & have no commercial intersts in being there, to stay the hell out of that area if at all possible?
    {Though I would venture a 'guess" that, as in many gun controlled areas in our country, there are some that do carry "illegal" weapons and would rather take the risk of being "tried" than "buried".}

And how should we decide the priorites of who gets the protection of the limited resources?
    Instead of further burdening tax payers, why not have this situation handled by the private sector/outfitters?

For X amount of dollars, the outfitter will take you on an excursion complete with a 50 cal semi-automatic. The outfitter's boat would look like a yatch complete with bikini clad babes/decoys walking around the deck looking harmless.
    Changing the Presidential Debates to allow Liberty on the stage will change America. You can help. Go to Our America's Debate Challenge to learn how you can help.

Exactly. Another consideration is if they're caught with illegal weapons or ammunition they face confiscation of their sailboat. The vast majority of cruisers go unarmed.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Like the pirates??
    And.....if they aren't recognized, then that law is working well, isn't it???

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Like the pirates??

RK
    Yeah, why isn't someone "arresting" the pirates and taking their weapons !
    That's just what we will be looking at if they pass gun laws here in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Like the pirates??

RK
    Didn't say it was a good law, but most "boaters" want to stop somewhere along the way for fuel and supplies in foriegn ports. Having weapons on board would be a huge risk.

The pirates likely use Somali ports for refueling, re-supply where there is no law. They are in smaller boats and can stay away from larger vessels. If they are flying a Somali flag and in International waters they can't be boarded by another country's military either legally.

Its just like gun laws here as someone else said, protects the criminals puts innocents at risk.

Skywatcher Salem Orchard Hard "Cider"