The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freeloader or not?

Default Freeloader or not?

OK, guys flame away....

I have found new job and I will start on Monday. (thank the Lord) The job has a 90 day probationary period during which I will have no insurance. I would not be concerned about that if not for my kids, so I have to do something to keep them insured for that time period. NC has an govt program called NC Health Choice that is a low cost insurance plan for children under 19, if the household meets income requirements. You qualify for a year period at one time. My income qualifies for a family of 5. The insurance has a pretty low yearly on time fee rather than a monthly premium. This would be a great option for my kids to remain insured during the 90 day gap between insurance plans. I will be using it for that period. At the end of 90 days I have two options:

1. Cancel the NCHC plan and add my kids to my insurance plan from the new job.
    2. Leave the kids on the NCHC plan for the remainder of the year (which I have paid for) and only put myself and my wife on my new insurance and add the kids after the year is over.

Option 2 would leave me extra money in my paycheck each week as I would not be paying for the kids on my weekly premium. BUT, I do not want to take any handouts and don't want to be considered to be like the people on other govt assistance programs that don't truly need the help. My pride is getting in the way of allowing me to do this--I don't want anyone else taking care of my family.
    Option 1 would cost me more money each month (probably close to $150-$200 extra), but wouldn't have any of the possible guilt associated with it for taking govt assistance.

Opinions?

I say.........
    from my far away keyboard seat.
    put everybody on the gov. plan for the 90 days.
    Leave the kids on it for a year.
    a: 'cause it is paid for
    and
    b: you could get fired or quit after the first week.
    then, you can sleep well knowing the kids are protected, giving you the freedom to walk away from the new job if you need to.

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Do what you have to do to take care of your children.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS!!!
    (JMO)

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    OK, guys flame away....

Option 2 would leave me extra money in my paycheck each week as I would not be paying for the kids on my weekly premium. BUT, I do not want to take any handouts and don't want to be considered to be like the people on other govt assistance programs that don't truly need the help. My pride is getting in the way of allowing me to do this--I don't want anyone else taking care of my family.

Opinions?
    If you truly have the moral convictions you are quoted as having, then I can't see how you could be in a quandry.

Congrats on the new job

Congrats on the new job! I'm very happy that you were able to find a new job before your other one ended. (I think you said that would happen in April)
    I will leave my other thoughts as a NC taxpayer with no kids for another day.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

One of the seven deadly sins...

In almost every list Pride (Latin, superbia), or hubris, is considered the original and most serious of the seven deadly sins, and the source of the others. It is identified as a desire to be more important or attractive than others, failing to acknowledge the good work of others, and excessive love of self (especially holding self out of proper position toward God). Dante's definition was "love of self perverted to hatred and contempt for one's neighbour." In Jacob Bidermann's medieval miracle play, Cenodoxus, pride is the deadliest of all the sins and leads directly to the damnation of the titulary famed Parisian doctor. In perhaps the best-known example, the story of Lucifer, pride (his desire to compete with God) was what caused his fall from Heaven, and his resultant transformation into Satan. In Dante's Divine Comedy, the penitents were forced to walk with stone slabs bearing down on their backs to induce feelings of humility.
    Congrats on the new job. I really hope it works out, and more than anything, I hope you like it.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Do what's best for you and your family and the hell with what anyone else thinks.
    Bill Davis

You, as a working, tax paying, legal resident/citizen of NC are helping subsidize the system, (beside paing the premium) are you not?
    How is that "freeloading"?

PS Congrats & best of luck on your new job!
    Last edited by BrianW; 02-23-2011 at 08:37 AM. Reason: added PS
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

OK. I gave my NC taxpayer opinion previously.
    Now what I will tell you Duck is that you have to look at part of this on along term basis.
    There are certain insurance rules that you need to be aware of. Most have an annual enrollment. Just watch your dates because you do not want to refuse enrollement for your kids and then be out of date of the other plan. I do not know the current NC details but please for no other reason than your family make sure that you can insure your kids with the new employer outside of open enrollment if you choice to not insure them when eligable.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

first, i'm glad you found a job. hopefully as a toolmaker?

you'll have to compare coverages, but chances are the plan thru your workplace will be more comprehensive. you never know what's coming down the pike, and if i were you, i would want the best coverage available. a serious illness or injury requiring hospitalization can bury you quickly-you wouldn't believe how fast a couple hundred thousand ( or more) can evaporate.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.