The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freeloader or not?

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    first, i'm glad you found a job. hopefully as a toolmaker?

you'll have to compare coverages, but chances are the plan thru your workplace will be more comprehensive. you never know what's coming down the pike, and if i were you, i would want the best coverage available. a serious illness or injury requiring hospitalization can bury you quickly-you wouldn't believe how fast a couple hundred thousand ( or more) can evaporate.-Paul

I would add....even if you have good insurance!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Duck,
    Both Paul and RK are correct. (never thought I would say that.) You must evaluate both plans based on the worst case. You cannot compare plans strictly by premium. PM me the plan details and I am more than willing to objectively help you.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Everyone, thanks for the congrats and well wishes! It is definitely a relief to have the future under control again (as much as possible, anyway).

Luv, I'll send a pm shortly to discuss details. Thanks for the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    If you truly have the moral convictions you are quoted as having, then I can't see how you could be in a quandry.

Congrats on the new job
    From the outside looking in, does it put me in the same group that I referred to by keeping the kids on the NCHC plan for the entire year when I could afford to add them to the new insurance after 90 days? My only reason for doing that would be to save $150-200/month on premiums. I am very against people who take food stamps/welfare/etc when they don't truly need it, but would this make me 'one of them'? I am far from hypocritical, so this seems to be a tough decision...

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    One of the seven deadly sins...

I didn't really mean it in the sense that your quote suggested...
    Last edited by ducknwork; 02-23-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    first, i'm glad you found a job. hopefully as a toolmaker?
    Probably not as specific as a toolmaker. I will be in maintenance in another factory. They have dies, but not many and not the type I am used to working on. They don't seem like the type that would need much upkeep either...However, they do not currently have a machinist in their maint dept, so now they will...Other job responsibilities will include welding, hydraulics, pneumatics, machining, mechanical/electrical repairs on industrial equipment. To say the least, it will be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    I didn't really mean it in the sense that your quote suggested...

I know. I couldn't help myself...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Everyone, thanks for the congrats...........

From the outside looking in, does it put me in the same group that I referred to by keeping the kids on the NCHC plan for the entire year when I could afford to add them to the new insurance after 90 days? My only reason for doing that would be to save $150-200/month on premiums. I am very against people who take food stamps/welfare/etc when they don't truly need it, but would this make me 'one of them'? I am far from hypocritical, so this seems to be a tough decision...
    It's wonderfull to know that you got a new job....congrats.

Now to the insurance thing.......you already have had lots of good advice about that. The only thing I can add is sometimes we have to compromise and sometimes it hurts. Do what's good for your family at this time and do not look back.

Everyone, thanks for the congrats and well wishes! It is definitely a relief to have the future under control again (as much as possible, anyway).

Luv, I'll send a pm shortly to discuss details. Thanks for the offer.

Glad you found a job. If you have a problem with food stamps/welfare/etc. for people when they do not truly need it, I would have to say this falls in the etc. category. I'm not trying to be mean, it just does. I told the same thing to my own brother, just a couple of days ago.

Like others have stated you have to do what is best for your kids, but if you take the easy road, you will have to be a little more understanding to the folks who have also decided to travel that road.

Terri

Banned

Duck, do whatever is best for your family. If there is a 90 day probationary period anything can happen. I worked for the West Bend Company where I grew up. You had to work there 60 days to be accepted into the union. The company laid off most everyone on the 59th day because after that it would be hard to fire them. Well not long after that one of my friends that I went to high school with and graduated from college that went to work for the West Bend Company asked me to come back as a foreman. In polite terms, I told him to take his job and shove it.
    What I am trying to say is take option #2 or whatever is best for your family. You don't need your wife and kids getting angry with you if something should happen to any one of them health wise and not being able to take care of them.

Congrats on the new job. Hope it works out well for you and the family.
    Roger.
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 02-23-2011 at 07:02 PM.

Ducknwork, I'll join in the congratulations on the the new job. Done very timely. Maybe things are not as bleak as some would like to paint them. My company is hiring and expanding as well.
    I hope you like what you'll be doing.

Whatever you decide about HC, I'm sure you will do it with thought.

If I were in your situation though, I don't know that I would come to PP for advice.

Goodluck, JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift