The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boeing noses out competition for 35B tanker

Default Boeing noses out competition for 35B tanker

congrats to all my Washington friends who may or may not be affected by Boeing beating out the Alabama based EADS group for the Air Force 35 billion dollar air tanker project...dont know if politics played into the equation and decision

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...contract_N.htm
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

We all know politics played "the" role in that decision.
    David Didier, GA

Along with a contract for the Navy's new unmanned bomber from Northrop Grumman, http://www.navytimes.com/news/2011/0...-says-020511w/ one has to wonder, in light of our current budget situation, how many of these planes will actually get into the air.
    At 558+ M per plane for the tanker at the full contract pricing, I hope that the folks in Kansas & Washington don't go hog wild buying new cars and such. I was part of the crew that helped develop the B-2 and had first hand experience with the budget cuts on that program.
    I'm not arguing with the need to keep our inventory up to date (The planes will replace tankers designed/built during the Eisenhower era., the KC135's. The last KC-135 was delivered to the Air Force in 1965. Note:also built by Boeing ) but we do have some hard choices ahead.
    These planes may be made by an American owned company putting Americans to work, BUT if we have to borrow more money (from China ?!?) to do it, is it really worth it?
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Along with a contract for the Navy's new unmanned bomber from Northrop Grumman, http://www.navytimes.com/news/2011/0...-says-020511w/ one has to wonder, in light of our current budget situation, how many of these planes will actually get into the air.
    At 558+ M per plane for the tanker at the full contract pricing, I hope that the folks in Kansas & Washington don't go hog wild buying new cars and such. I was part of the crew that helped develop the B-2 and had first hand experience with the budget cuts on that program.
    I'm not arguing with the need to keep our inventory up to date (The planes will replace tankers designed/built during the Eisenhower era., the KC135's. The last KC-135 was delivered to the Air Force in 1965. Note:also built by Boeing ) but we do have some hard choices ahead.
    These planes may be made by an American owned company putting Americans to work, BUT if we have to borrow more money (from China ?!?) to do it, is it really worth it?
    There were also a lot of tankers built based on the 707 airframe. & of somewhat more recent vintage, 1980ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    We all know politics played "the" role in that decision.
    Don't you find it interesting that a 200 mil off the shelf airframe will be turned into a 558 mil upgrade? From experience I know the government to be hard to work with, but that's quite a markup!!!!!!

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    There were also a lot of tankers built based on the 707 airframe. & of somewhat more recent vintage, 1980ish.

Don't you find it interesting that a 200 mil off the shelf airframe will be turned into a 558 mil upgrade? From experience I know the government to be hard to work with, but that's quite a markup!!!!!!
    That is a small markup campared to daily ones I used to see while doing that kind of work. .10 part sold to one of big 3 for .25, sold to government for 35.75.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

As a point of order....the 135 is not built on the 707 airframe. The 135 and the 707 were each variants based on what is called the "Dash80" airframe. The Dash80 was a jet transport "proof of concept." The 135 is narrower and shorter....and has outlasted the 707.

It will be very interesting to watch the defense of the Boeing contract. The EADS aircraft is flying today and is larger and hauls more gas (the whole point of the exercise) that the Boeing offering. Both the EADS and the Boeing will be built equally in the US. Boeing has tried to hush this but the wings for their airframe will be built in China if I'm not mistaken.

Eric

Alabama's senior Senator is the staunch conservative Jeff Sessions, Washington's Senator is Patty Murray, who helped write the Obamacare health bill...draw your own conclusions

A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

OK, I'm confused. On the local news they just said that the other company was Airbus which is French. The were discussing a local company that will be adding jobs due to the contract.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    OK, I'm confused. On the local news they just said that the other company was Airbus which is French. The were discussing a local company that will be adding jobs due to the contract.

Airbus is made by EADS which has a plant in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Airbus is made by EADS which has a plant in Alabama
    Yup. They decided in 2005 to put a plant there in an attempt to win the contract.

EADS Resolves Rifts, Opens Alabama Facility to Help Focus on USA
    28-Jun-2005 04:23 UTC
    Related Stories: Americas - USA, Boeing, EADS, Issues - Political, Lobbying, News, Partnerships & Consortia, Pre-RFP, Specialty Aircraft

Airbus parent company EADS recently announced its choice of a site in Alabama to build a new refuelling plane for the US military, as part of its bid to win the USAF’s $23.5 billion contract to supply the next generation of air-air refuelling aircraft. EADS said the Brookley Industrial Complex in Mobile, AL had beaten off competition from Florida, Mississippi and South Carolina as part of a very competitive process to host the “KC-330 Advanced Tanker” production facility, which would hire up to 1,100 personnel if EADS should win against Boeing’s KC-767. The A330 was selected as Britain’s next-generation tanker aircraft, for instance, in an innovative leasing arrangement that echoes some aspects of the cancelled Boeing KC-767 deal.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)