The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill Introduced In U.S. House

Default National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill Introduced In U.S. House

NRA-ILA GRASSROOTS ALERT
    Vol. 18, No. 8 02/25/11

Last week, H.R. 822, was introduced in the U.S. House by Representatives Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Schuler (D-N.C.). The measure would allow any person with a valid state-issued concealed carry permit to carry a concealed firearm in any state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms. A state's laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within its borders. The bill also applies to Washington , D.C. , Puerto Rico and U.S. territories.

H.R. 822 would not create a federal licensing system. Rather, it would require the states to recognize each others' carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards. Rep. Stearns has introduced such legislation since 1995.
    Please be sure to contact your U.S. Representative at (202) 225-3121 and urge him or her to cosponsor and support H.R. 822.

It's about time !!
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

This legislation is long over due!

I've had my conceal carry permit for a long time and hope I never have to draw on a perpetraitor. But, knowing I have that ability is comforting.

Funny you should post this as I am planning at being at the pistol range for 10am today

With our temps in the 80's, geese heading north, I need something to shoot even if its just punching holes in a piece of paper.
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    This legislation is long over due!

I've had my conceal carry permit for a long time and hope I never have to draw on a perpetraitor. But, knowing I have that ability is comforting.

Funny you should post this as I am planning at being at the pistol range for 10am today

With our temps in the 80's, geese heading north, I need something to shoot even if its just punching holes in a piece of paper.
    Thomas Jefferson: "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Encyclopedia of T. Jefferson, 318 (Foley, Ed., 1967).

Enjoy your exercise, Franco!
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Thomas Jefferson: "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Encyclopedia of T. Jefferson, 318 (Foley, Ed., 1967).

Enjoy your exercise, Franco!
    The folks at Barney's Law Enforcement Supply laugh when I walk in cause I bring an arsenal with me. Most shoot one maybe two pistols. I bring five! I start with the bigger calibers and finish with my Walther P22
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

In general I support the idea. I was surprised last time I drove to Texas I checked for states along my route for reciprocity. There were red states who didn't have reciprocal agreements with South Dakota. So, I left my 9 mm at home. Both ways I traveled and stopped for gas and food and to air myself in the wee hours of the morning, and I would have felt a lot better if I was packing. On the other hand I wonder why states rights guys would be wanting to take the decision away from the states. And I hope it doesn't eventually give some politician the idea that I should have to jump through more hoops to renew my permit when the time comes.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    In general I support the idea. I was surprised last time I drove to Texas I checked for states along my route for reciprocity. There were red states who didn't have reciprocal agreements with South Dakota. So, I left my 9 mm at home. Both ways I traveled and stopped for gas and food and to air myself in the wee hours of the morning, and I would have felt a lot better if I was packing. On the other hand I wonder why states rights guys would be wanting to take the decision away from the states. And I hope it doesn't eventually give some politician the idea that I should have to jump through more hoops to renew my permit when the time comes.
    You would have been OK in Texas an Oklahoma but the last time I checked Kansas was rough. I don't know about the Cornhuskers.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

I think this is not a states rights issue just as freedom of speech is not a states rights issue.

If you want to understand how states CAN and DO make you jump thriough hoops, try reading and understanding the Mass laws,,,,,

and then once you do jump through ALL the hoops, the decision still lies at the discretion of the Chief of Police in your town.

Talk about arbitrary and capricious!!!

The reason the bill was introduced was because of this case.
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...gal-gun-owner/

[quote=BrianW;758329]NRA-ILA GRASSROOTS ALERT
    Vol. 18, No. 8 02/25/11

Last week, H.R. 822, was introduced in the U.S. House by Representatives Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Schuler (D-N.C.). The measure would allow any person with a valid state-issued concealed carry permit to carry a concealed firearm in any state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms. A state's laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within its borders. The bill also applies to Washington , D.C. , Puerto Rico and U.S. territories.

H.R. 822 would not create a federal licensing system. Rather, it would require the states to recognize each others' carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards. Rep. Stearns has introduced such legislation since 1995.
    Please be sure to contact your U.S. Representative at (202) 225-3121 and urge him or her to cosponsor and support H.R. 822.

Besides the reciprocity issue, they need to standardize the rules.

Carl
    A well trained dog is a conservation tool.
    "Light travels faster than sound...That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak"

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    In general I support the idea. ...
    On the other hand I wonder why states rights guys would be wanting to take the decision away from the states.
    Well, I'm glad that we DO agree on SOME things in principle.

"On the other hand..." the legislation is not saying that SD can't decide on its own issuance standards for its residents or even decide not to have concealed carry at all.
    But that if they do have CWP's, they must honor all other state's CWP's.

Would you think that SoDak should have the right to decide whether my ID driver's license is valid in your state or not?
    Or that your SD license somehow shouldn't be valid here in the Gem State as well?

But if Idaho were to somehow decide that no one can drive in ID and not issue licenses, then even your SD license wouldn't let you drive here.