The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill Introduced In U.S. House

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    "

A state should either honor all states "carry" licenses/permits reciprocally or none at all. They shouldn't be able to pick and choose which one(s) of their fellow states they "recognize" and that's what this bill is trying to address.
    I agree with you to a certain extent , BUT, not all states have the same stipulations on CCW...and some states have some real bizarre laws concerning gun purchase by out of staters...i.e. in the state of Colorado anyone can buy a handgun EXCEPT a Calif resident...Calif residents used to regularly cross the state line to buy guns here in NV but they have since stiffened those provisions...also some states make up register EACH individual CCW gun where some states blanket all guns you own as legal CCW...until you get more uniform laws, its better left to the individual states
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Bon,

You sure about that?

I thought that FEDERAL law prohibits non residents from directly buying a handgun in any other state.

The gun has to first go to an FFL in the buyers state first, and then that FFL needs to do the final transfer to the buyer. It is that final FFL that insures the transfer tis in accordance with that state's laws.

Quote Originally Posted by dixidawg View Post
    Bon,

You sure about that?

I thought that FEDERAL law prohibits non residents from directly buying a handgun in any other state.

The gun has to first go to an FFL in the buyers state first, and then that FFL needs to do the final transfer to the buyer. It is that final FFL that insures the transfer tis in accordance with that state's laws.

That's true in this neck of the woods. I purchased a Colt Python some years back at a Nebraska gun show. That FFL owner had it shipped to my FFL dealer in Rapid City for pickup. Not a large hoop to jump through in my view. Certainly the state you reside in should have the authority in such matters.

I hope this new law passes, but if it doesn't, I'll continue to be a 'criminal' while driving across country with my Sodak CWP, and my Taurus Judge under the seat of my car...my private WMD.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by dixidawg View Post
    Bon,

You sure about that?

I was visiting a brother in Durango Colorado, and they happened to have a gun store just down the road, so I stopped in and noticed some good prices on a Sig Sauer, so I asked if an OOS'er could buy a long gun or a handgun and the response was as long as I wasnt a Calif resident for a handgun but they could buy a long gun

A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    I can think of a few countries where the citizens would be better off with lots of guns. How about Egypt,
    There are lots of privately owned guns in Egypt. At least that's what my co-worker from Egypt says.

Bon: SigSauer has travelling reps going around the country holding sales blitzes. Our store says they were told this March, the rep would be bringing a display of all their new toys, and would be knocking off around 200 apeice. Just picked up a Sig Mosquito .22. VERY SWEET!! Can't wait for the rep and the "real" sigs!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    There are lots of privately owned guns in Egypt. At least that's what my co-worker from Egypt says.

Bon: SigSauer has travelling reps going around the country holding sales blitzes. Our store says they were told this March, the rep would be bringing a display of all their new toys, and would be knocking off around 200 apeice. Just picked up a Sig Mosquito .22. VERY SWEET!! Can't wait for the rep and the "real" sigs!
    I am looking at the Sig PM250 with two frames,interchangeable barrel and trigger assembly and can be done in less than 5 minutes with a little practice, one frame for full size and one for concealed carry

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    ... BUT, not all states have the same stipulations on CCW...
    Yes I know. WA doesn't reciprocal ID because "While Idaho’s laws may be similar to Washington’s, Idaho has a provision to issue licenses to persons under 21 years of age. Therefore, Washington cannot, by law, enter into reciprocity with Idaho. It is also unclear whether or not Idaho requires mental health background checks by the issuing authority that would satisfy Washington’s requirements.
    But (and some may argue apples/oranges) a man & woman could get married in a state that doesn't meet WA's legal reqmts and they would still be recognized as married if they moved to WA.
    and some states have some real bizarre laws concerning gun purchase by out of staters.....
    This bill would not alter OOS purchases. Also speaking of "bizarre" I can go to WA and purchase all the .357 Mag ammunition (which is the "dangerous" part, imo) for my Smith 640 I want, but I can't carry the gun for it with my present permit. Go figure!
    also some states make up register EACH individual CCW gun where some states blanket all guns you own as legal CCW...until you get more uniform laws, its better left to the individual states
    The problem I see with that, is then we'd never get anywhere on the issue because you'd never get all 50 states, districts commonwealths etc to agree on a standard. Again for a comparison though, a legally owned/possessed car in ID is still a legally owned/possessed car in WA, SD, NV etc.
    Why shouldn't it be the same with a firearm whose right to keep/bear is constitutionally protected?
    Last edited by BrianW; 02-27-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: correct spelling
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791