The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill Introduced In U.S. House

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Well, I'm glad that we DO agree on SOME things in principle.

"On the other hand..." the legislation is not saying that SD can't decide on its own issuance standards for its residents or even decide not to have concealed carry at all.
    But that if they do have CWP's, they must honor all other state's CWP's.

Would you think that SoDak should have the right to decide whether my ID driver's license is valid in your state or not?
    Or that your SD license somehow shouldn't be valid here in the Gem State as well?

But if Idaho were to somehow decide that no one can drive in ID and not issue licenses, then even your SD license wouldn't let you drive here.
    There used to be issues with drivers' licenses, and I believe it was the interstate commerce clause that prohibited states from denying driving privileges to out of state drivers. I'm not sure you could make the same argument for CWPs.

Saving state's rights for another day, I'd like to see not only CWPs standardized across state lines, but firearms laws in general. When I was in Philly, I had to run to Ft.Dix for reserve duties. I took my Colt 1911 with me to shoot at the range. Fortunately the range officer felt pity on me, and quietly told me to stash my illegal semi-auto pistol and make my way back to the car and get the hell outta NJ before I get in real trouble. Just by driving across a bridge, I convert from a law abiding citizen, to a weapons-violation criminal.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdHntr View Post
    A state's laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within its borders.

Besides the reciprocity issue, they need to standardize the rules.
    True. But let's get the basic principle established, the "who", and get that past Obama, and then we can get the "how, when & where" details ironed out.
    Too many details will give the GCA's more instances to oppose the whole concept.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by BirdHntr View Post

Besides the reciprocity issue, they need to standardize the rules.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    True. But let's get the basic principle established, the "who", and get that past Obama, and then we can get the "how, when & where" details ironed out.
    Too many details will give the GCA's more instances to oppose the whole concept.

This is what I was getting at when I made my comment about jumping through hoops. I guess a lot of the time I make comments here without relating my thought process. My concern is that once you force reciprocity on everyone, next thing you know someone's going to get the bright idea that you need to also standardize the permitting process nationally, and that's what I don't like so much. What works here in SD might not be workable in NY or CA, and vice versa. I don't want more hoops here...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by dixidawg View Post
    I think this is not a states rights issue just as freedom of speech is not a states rights issue.

If you want to understand how states CAN and DO make you jump thriough hoops, try reading and understanding the Mass laws,,,,,

and then once you do jump through ALL the hoops, the decision still lies at the discretion of the Chief of Police in your town.

Talk about arbitrary and capricious!!!
    This will go to the supreme court if past because the findings from the court was that its unconstitutional to deny the right to own a firearm. It has nothing to do with the right to carry one. THAT'S why its a states rights issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Covey View Post
    This will go to the supreme court if past because the findings from the court was that its unconstitutional to deny the right to own a firearm. It has nothing to do with the right to carry one. THAT'S why its a states rights issue.
    I believe those two lines are covered by "the right to keep and bear arms..."

Too bad others don't see it that way.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Exactly.

Is it also a state's right that tells me where and how I can exercise free speech?

If the 2nd amendment ONLY applies to possession in one's home, does that mean a homeless person has no 2nd amendment rights?

Fwiw, if this bill becomes law, it could go to the SCOTUS, but I think it would be more under the Article IV Sect 1 Full Faith and Credit provison rather than a 2nd Amd challenge, making it a 'state's rights" issue.
    "Reciprocity", imo, doesn't address the issue of a state's ability to control the means/method of the bearing of arms. It is simply saying that if a state has a concealed carry policy, then all the other state's permit holders can also carry concealed in that state pursuant to it's laws.

I.e I have an Idaho issued CWP but only Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida,
    Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, New Hampshire, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Wyoming honor it.

So even if I am willing to abide by their conditions for carrying a concealed pistol, I can't legally protect myself "next door" while traveling or doing business in Spokane WA unless I spend additional monies , go through another background check & get a Utah or WA carry license. That's ridiculous in my view.
    A state should either honor all states "carry" licenses/permits reciprocally or none at all. They shouldn't be able to pick and choose which one(s) of their fellow states they "recognize" and that's what this bill is trying to address.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Agree. Case in point. Mass does not grant reciprocity to any other state, nor does any other state grant reciprocity to a Mass LTC holder.

I can think of a few countries where the citizens would be better off with lots of guns. How about Egypt, Tunisia, Jordan, Algeria, Sudan, Iraq, Palestine, Bahrain, Libya, Yemen, Mauritania, Gabon and Morocco. Not to mention Ireland, Italy, Britain, Austria, France, Portugal, Greece and North Korea. too. We should load half a dozen C-5's with glocks and drop them over each of these countries so the 'folk' can deal with the tyranny and dictatorial rule.

Just like the left votes...guns should bought early and often. It's the only thing separating us from the above mentioned third-world countries and banana republics. I'd rather throw lead than throw rocks.

It should be mandatory that every law abiding swinging D in this country own at least a dozen guns before it's too late because we live in Cuba now.